GDT: Old School GDT: Oilers @ Stars 1 PM Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
disagree...they went to the Finals in 2020...beating the Avs...could've beaten the Flames in 2022 and made it to the Conference Finals last year

not many teams have had that kind of playoff success in the past few years
See here's the thing... Yes they could've beaten the Flames in 2022... Had they showed up at the most crucial time. They could've beaten the Blues in 2019... had they shown up at the most crucial time.

Hell they could've beaten the Knights last year... had they shown up at the most crucial time.

Dallas is a team that makes waves but then goes ice cold at critical moments. They made the WCF last year by beating a playoff patsy and an expansion franchise that wasn't expected to do much. Like I said, the Knights easily pushed them aside. The Knights themselves admitted that we were their toughest opponent.

Had we beaten the Knights last year there's no doubt in my mind we beat Dallas as well.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
See here's the thing... Yes they could've beaten the Flames in 2022... Had they showed up at the most crucial time. They could've beaten the Blues in 2019... had they shown up at the most crucial time.

Hell they could've beaten the Knights last year... had they shown up at the most crucial time.

Dallas is a team that makes waves but then goes ice cold at critical moments. They made the WCF last year by beating a playoff patsy and an expansion franchise that wasn't expected to do much. Like I said, the Knights easily pushed them aside. The Knights themselves admitted that we were their toughest opponent.

Had we beaten the Knights last year there's no doubt in my mind we beat Dallas as well.
so Colorado would have easily beat them...despite the fact the Avs couldn't even beat the Kraken? lol
make that make sense

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so Colorado would have easily beat them...despite the fact the Avs couldn't even beat the Kraken? lol
make that make sense
Did Colorado not win the Cup in 2022?

This is what separates them from a team like Dallas. They HAVE won when it matters. Every time I watch them play a team like the Canucks or Flames you'd think they'd rename themselves the Clouds from how much they were floating.

Sorry, I've just never been that impressed by them. The Avs are still the best team in the Central.

Reactions: Puljulainen

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Did Colorado not win the Cup in 2022?

This is what separates them from a team like Dallas. They HAVE won when it matters. Every time I watch them play a team like the Canucks or Flames you'd think they'd rename themselves the Clouds from how much they were floating.

Sorry, I've just never been that impressed by them. The Avs are still the best team in the Central.
so you're only a Cup threat if you win when it matters? that makes little sense

Colorado was a "Cup threat" before 2022, despite 2nd round loss after 2nd round loss (to the Stars too)
same with Vegas....they were a contenders despite never winning "when it matters" until last year

you fawn over the Avs but they have only made it out of the 2nd round once since 2002

CROTT

Aug 25, 2007
Edmonton

But because they didn't beat the Flames, it allowed the Oilers to break them in the next round. All things have a reason I guess....

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
so you're only a Cup threat if you win when it matters? that makes little sense

Colorado was a "Cup threat" before 2022, despite 2nd round loss after 2nd round loss (to the Stars too)
same with Vegas....they were a contenders despite never winning "when it matters" until last year

you fawn over the Avs but they have only made it out of the 2nd round once since 2002
And Dallas hasn't won a Cup this millennium. They're without a doubt the second best team in that division but the Avs are still the team that scares me more with game breaking threats like Makar and MacKinnon. Dallas doesn't have those. They have a good team but nobody that can singlehandedly win them a game.

I would put good money on McDavid going berserk on them today.

Reactions: Puljulainen

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
And Dallas hasn't won a Cup this millennium. They're without a doubt the second best team in that division but the Avs are still the team that scares me more with game breaking threats like Makar and MacKinnon. Dallas doesn't have those. They have a good team but nobody that can singlehandedly win them a game.
neither does Vegas, and they won it all
heck, they beat the Avs in a playoff series in 2021

depth wins

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
disagree...they went to the Finals in 2020...beating the Avs...could've beaten the Flames in 2022 and made it to the Conference Finals last year

They've been a decent team, but in 2022, the only thing that saved them from being swept against the Flamers was Ottinger. Calgary absolutely dominated them.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The Kings f***ing hate it when they see me in the rink

Attachments

• IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    251.8 KB · Views: 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers gut out the W. Game is on ABC Hockey Saturday. It will be a good game. Both teams will be dialed into this one and Oilers finish will decide it.

Oilers seem to elevate in games that are high profile telecasts. I hope I can get a US feed on ABC. Doubt it, but I'll try.

Reactions: elmeroil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

I agree with this general impression of the Stars. They always seem much better on paper than what their performances actually show when the games get important. A powerhouse team with inconsistency issues for whatever reasons. This year though could be a different story, but I won’t be surprised if they can’t get it done again.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've never seen Dallas a serious Cup threat. They go as far as their goalie takes them. The Avs would make mincemeat out of that team, and the Knights had little trouble dispatching them last year.
haha. I knew you'd be here saying this. You REALLY don't like Dallas. I can set my clock to it. Oilers will W as I stated. Dallas are so up and down.

They're a good club. When they are on they look SC caliber. When the Stars are off they look like dogshit.

Dallas are also better on the road than at home. Doesn't make a lot of sense but a lot of clubs are like that. They still have a good record at home but they are around league best on road.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Oilers better focus 100% on Knob Defence today. This is a test for the playoffs. And what better test than the Offensive powerhouse that is the Stars this year. Running and gunning with them won’t be smart. Keep the game tight and let our superstars break the goose egg.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
From the Vegas game forward to today, the Oilers are -7 in the pp:pk department (10-17).

It’s been hemorrhaging goals against again too, allowing 7 goals on those 17 penalty kills. I think that’s why Holland is really hard after Tanev.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver

I would put good money on McDavid going berserk on them today.
Dallas has a handful of stars but arguably no superstar. They’re pretty deep though, Avs aren’t. Dallas is so deep they’ve got NHL ready prospects that can’t break in. Not to mention they have a handful of very solid veteran leaders.

Wouldn’t shock me to see Dallas go all the way and get past the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad