Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
A greenhorn President, hires a greenhorn GM, who then hires a greenhorn Coach.

Question: What could possibly go right?

Answer: Nothing !!

This whole Dubas/Keefe 5-6 year fiasco is both regrettable and compete waste of time and money and robbed Leafs Nation of their greatest Cup competitive window by their gross incompetence.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Because coddling them and caving to every demand has worked so well these last 5 years?

When proven winners like ROR and Schenn are running away after 2 months with this group, you know there's a problem.

Wasn't part of the reason ROR left because of the media? He didn't want the attention?

Wasn't Schenn open to re-signing but we brought in Klingberg at double his hit?

Might be wrong... that was my recollection.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Again, true. But Gallant has flamed out three teams in a row, seems the odds are higher with him
True but any Coach that's available has flamed out somewhere.

Throw the Vault at Dale Hunter. Marner played his best under him.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Wasn't part of the reason ROR left because of the media? He didn't want the attention?

Wasn't Schenn open to re-signing but we brought in Klingberg at double his hit?
ROR lied, and could see this core was not a winning one. He was just being polite.

Schenn wanted term. that was the main factor I believe.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
On the players. Same story every year.

The core is the constant. It is obvious this is where change is needed.
It's obvious to you but not to the nhl who is pretty consistent in removing coaches from under performing teams

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Because coddling them and caving to every demand has worked so well these last 5 years?

When proven winners like ROR and Schenn are running away after 2 months with this group, you know there's a problem.

ROR didn’t like the scrutiny of playing here and Schenn understandably followed term and money after making peanuts for years.
Neither case has anything to do with what you are suggesting

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

I don't care what anyone says, I never bought ROR's reason for picking Nashville over us. Deep down, we know EXACTLY why he left.

He saw the culture of this team up close and wanted nothing to do with it.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
ROR lied, and could see this core was not a winning one. He was just being polite.

Source? Or is it just your opinion?

Also, he went to a team that had no chance either... so it seems weird.

Schenn wanted term. that was the main factor I believe.

I am not faulting them for not signing Schenn, he was a risk.

Just the fact people make things up like "these two players knew this core was a bunch of losers", when at least one was willing to sign... it is just fan fiction.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
ROR didn’t like the scrutiny of playing here and Schenn understandably followed term and money after making peanuts for years.
Neither case has anything to do with what you are suggesting
I'm not so sure about that. I remember hearing a lotta smoke about ROR not wanting to be a passenger on this bus behind the loser leadership in Matthews and Tavares

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Source? Or is it just your opinion?

Also, he went to a team that had no chance either... so it seems weird.

I am not faulting them for not signing Schenn, he was a risk.

Just the fact people make things up like "these two players knew this core was a bunch of losers", when at least one was willing to sign... it is just fan fiction.
Dude. 1 series win in 8 seasons. Running it back. Would you have stayed? f*** that, I would have ran away too.

I am sure the media aspect was true, but NHLers are paid to deal with that and ROR is a pro at it. There were other factors. Believe what you want. But to ignore all the facts that are right in front of our eyes is naive.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I really hope they take a long look at Gallant and don’t just knee jerk all the hype around Berube. Gallant for me is a superior coach, his teams are really structured and disciplined, he’s exactly what we need imo.
Yup.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Dreger;

Shanny not likely to be removed.
Doesn't believe that Marner or Tavares will be moved either.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
It’s quite literally what he said.
Yes. But that doesn't mean that he was telling the truth. He was just being diplomatic because he's not going to publicly shit on a team while being an active player.

The guy won a cup and IIRC the Conn Smythe in 2019. Does that sound like someone who is afraid of scrutiny?

Not to mention. Why would he agree to be traded here in the first place? Do you really think he didn't know about the "media scrutiny" here until he got here last trade deadline?

And BTW. I use that term media scrutiny here very loosely because I don't even think they're that bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarkSittler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad