ok.. let's just say Tavares does come here..

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I won't be surprised if he signs or if he doesn't sign because I understand both are possibilities, It's you who thinks otherwise because of "math". Perhaps you should show us your work, you may come to realize that 2+2 != 5 after all.

Taveres is going to stay in Long Island most likely and if he moves places like Montreal can outbid anything we put on the table. We can't realistically put much on the table at all because we have 3 A quality forwards we need to sign coming up.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You give Tavares and Matthews an A day 1. After a year you could give the C to Tavares and not put the burden on Matthews. Once JT leaves Matthews will be in his mid 20s and can take the C for the next decade.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Taveres is going to stay in Long Island most likely and if he moves places like Montreal can outbid anything we put on the table. We can't realistically put much on the table at all because we have 3 A quality forwards we need to sign coming up.

1 - you don't have a clue as to what Tavares will "most likely" do, LOL at you pretending you do
2 - I doubt we'd get into a bidding war and if he want's to fulfill a lifelong dream by playing here we won't need to
3 - others have shown how we could pay Tavares a reasonable amount and squeeze him in under the cap, perhaps you missed those posts

If you think he won't come here that's fine, he might not. The opposite might also be true though so stating your opinions as if they were facts is absurd.

Reactions: Jeff647 and ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The thread is "ok.. let's just say Tavares does come here..". There are other threads neigh sayers can post to that JT is not coming here.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
1 - you don't have a clue as to what Tavares will "most likely" do, LOL at you pretending you do
2 - I doubt we'd get into a bidding war and if he want's to fulfill a lifelong dream by playing here we won't need to
3 - others have shown how we could pay Tavares a reasonable amount and squeeze him in under the cap, perhaps you missed those posts

If you think he won't come here that's fine, he might not. The opposite might also be true though so stating your opinions as if they were facts is absurd.

No.

Just no.

1-Nobody here has a clue
2-"YOU doubt..."
3-We are not doing that. Bank on it.

And when it doesn't happen, I'll be in the "not surprised mutha f***as" camp. For exactly the reasons I just put out.

And yes I'm speculating, like every other person not named JT. But I'm doing so with logic and common sense.

Good day sir.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No.

Just no.

1-Nobody here has a clue
2-"YOU doubt..."
3-We are not doing that. Bank on it.

And when it doesn't happen, I'll be in the "not surprised mutha ****as" camp. For exactly the reasons I just put out.

And yes I'm speculating, like every other person not named JT. But I'm doing so with logic and common sense.

Good day sir.

I love it when people say "bank on it", reminds of the hundreds of posts that said Stamkos would come here, they too liked to use such phrases.

BTW, common sense dictates that when someone beats their chest and claims they have common sense, that means zero. The only way to convince people you possess common sense is to show some.

Reactions: therealkoho

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I love it when people say "bank on it", reminds of the hundreds of posts that said Stamkos would come here, they too liked to use such phrases.

BTW, common sense dictates that when someone beats their chest and claims they have common sense, that means zero. The only way to convince people you possess common sense is to show some.

I never thought Stammer was going to come here at all. I always thought he was going to use the open market as leverage to get more money.

I am still in the camp that the islanders will not let JT walk, and I don't think he wants to walk.

He's pulling a Stamkos.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I never thought Stammer was going to come here at all. I always thought he was going to use the open market as leverage to get more money.

I am still in the camp that the islanders will not let JT walk, and I don't think he wants to walk.

He's pulling a Stamkos.

Re. Stamkos - I was just pointing out that there were a ton of people who were 100% certain they knew what Stamkos would do and they looked pretty dumb when they were proven wrong. You might be right about Tavares but you also might be wrong.

There is one thing you are wrong about now for sure, the part about the Islanders not letting him walk. He doesn't need their permission so that doesn't enter into it all.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

Article in the Athletic today about how Matthews injuries this year will cause him to miss out on over $2M in bonuses that will save us that much against the cap next season and the season after.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Re. Stamkos - I was just pointing out that there were a ton of people who were 100% certain they knew what Stamkos would do and they looked pretty dumb when they were proven wrong. You might be right about Tavares but you also might be wrong.

There is one thing you are wrong about now for sure, the part about the Islanders not letting him walk. He doesn't need their permission so that doesn't enter into it all.

It means that it would be a PR disaster to let him walk and it would cause doubt to their ability to retain future stars, fan interest, corporate sponsors...you name it. It would likely have the same trickle down effect that Lindros not signing in Quebec had.

As such expect them to throw the kitchen sink at him.

He's not walking.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Article in the Athletic today about how Matthews injuries this year will cause him to miss out on over $2M in bonuses that will save us that much against the cap next season and the season after.

Yeah I saw that, the implications are obvious of course. :)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It means that it would be a PR disaster to let him walk and it would cause doubt to their ability to retain future stars, fan interest, corporate sponsors...you name it. It would likely have the same trickle down effect that Lindros not signing in Quebec had.

He's not walking.

Right, the same way Quebec didn't let Lindros walk. I get it, good example.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

He's not walking.
All good points. But in the end, Lindros still walked.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

He's pulling a Stamkos.

Can you tell us your reasoning as to why he is pulling a Stamkos ? IMO JT can get market value anywhere he wants to go. Stammer was low-balled/outsmarted by Stevie Y because he knew Stammer did not really want to leave TB. Stammer used the Leafs in order to try to get TB to up the ante and when they did not, he accepted their original offer. I don't see the two situations being the same.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Right, the same way Quebec didn't let Lindros walk. I get it, good example.

Lindros is not JT.

Lindros hadn't just played 8 years in Quebec to get settled in, build a home and make friends. And the lessons learned from the Lindros situation is that 1 star player can start the chain of events to bury a fridge franchise.

He's. Not. Walking.

But for argument sake, let's say he is really dead set about leaving the Islanders...that could be the end of Long Island. And still he's not coming here.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Can you tell us your reasoning as to why he is pulling a Stamkos ? IMO JT can get market value anywhere he wants to go. Stammer was low-balled/outsmarted by Stevie Y because he knew Stammer did not really want to leave TB. Stammer used the Leafs in order to try to get TB to up the ante and when they did not, he accepted their original offer. I don't see the two situations being the same.

Garth Snow isn't Stevie Yzerman. Let the man see what his value is on the open market before he gives the islanders his price.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

He's not walking.
The difference is i doubt the Islanders are trying get him to take a slight discount like T-Bay was with Stamkos.

so my thinking is he either wants to break the bank and squeeze every penny he can out of them which will hamper them down the road or he wants to leave

from what i hear he loves the area so i wouldn't count out the Rangers or maybe even the Devils

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Lindros sat out a full year which cost him a lot of money and he was willing to sit out another year. If anything, that proves that money isn't always everything so those expecting Tavares to stay with NYI because they will "throw the kitchen sink at him" might end up looking silly.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Leafs have the cap space. If both parties want it, JT will be a Leaf...and we know the Leafs want him...I mean who wouldn't? Sign and trade at the draft. JT signs 8 years X 10M AAV. 14-12-12-10-8-8-8-8.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Garth Snow isn't Stevie Yzerman. Let the man see what his value is on the open market before he gives the islanders his price.

I claim the dollar amount is not the issue with JT. He may or may not come to T.O. but I take the field over the Isles.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs have the cap space. If both parties want it, JT will be a Leaf...and we know the Leafs want him...I mean who wouldn't? Sign and trade at the draft. JT signs 8 years X 10M AAV. 14-12-12-10-8-8-8-8.

Sign and trade was speculated by Ek and TSN insiders but somebody on this board pointed out that such a move goes against the CBA and posted the article number from the CBA.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
NYI centres Tavares and Barzal both have the same amount of points at 73 and tied for #17th in NHL scoring .

If the Leafs had simply drafted Barzal instead they would already have a PPG centre to play behind Matthews and Leafs wouldn't be in a position to be considering (if they are) paying JT +$10 mil now.

Leafs could have a pair of 20 year old centres already in the fold now both capable of point-per-game pace and the Leafs cap situation much better.

Would there be any need for Tavares?

Just saying !!!. :wg:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
NYI centres Tavares and Barzal both have the same amount of points at 73 and tied for #17th in NHL scoring .

If the Leafs had simply drafted Barzal instead they would already have a PPG centre to play behind Matthews and Leafs wouldn't be in a position to be considering (if they are) paying JT +$10 mil now.

Leafs could have a pair of 20 year old centres already in the fold now both capable of point-per-game pace and the Leafs cap situation much better.

Would there be any need for Tavares?

Just saying !!!. :wg:
While Marner could easily be a PPG center, why so little faith in Nylander?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad