ok.. let's just say Tavares does come here..

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
What happens with Captaincy? Does Tavares walk in day 1 wearing the C?

Do you give it to Matthews? Do you roll another season with no Captain and then give it to one of them?

curious to see what would happen there. Would the current lineup including Matthews be a little annoyed that he comes from another team and throws on the C?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
You give it to Matthews.

Also, i am sure Tavares wants a fresh start. He doesnt want to be the absolute center of attention literally upon arrival.

Reactions: Jeff647

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Tavares does sign with the Leafs and was named the captain before playing a game, I think it would be like when Dion Phaneuf was named the captain. Although I think Tavares could handle it better since he's the Islanders captain and knows what it would be like playing in Toronto.

However the obvious choice for the next Leafs captain is Auston Matthews no matter what Tavares decides to do.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
While I definitely wouldn't rule it out, I don't know that there's great odds in favour of Tavares becoming a Leaf. I still view Matthews as Leaf captain being a matter of timing, a matter of "when" and not "if".

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Matthews if they feel he deserves it. No need to put any extra pressure on a gih like tavares by making hom captain. Might also lead to some lockeroom issues (pure speculation on my part) if managment gave it to a newly signed player who wasn't well known or found his fit in the locker room.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
What happens with Captaincy? Does Tavares walk in day 1 wearing the C?

Do you give it to Matthews? Do you roll another season with no Captain and then give it to one of them?

curious to see what would happen there. Would the current lineup including Matthews be a little annoyed that he comes from another team and throws on the C?

I speculated on this very thing in another thread and I think it's more problematic than simply bringing in a talented player into the fold.

Don Cherry has often spoke about chemistry and "big dog" players whose sense of identity/importance is a necessary element in their comfort leading which ever team they play for. So here we acquire John Tavares. Like Matthews he's a 1/1, a first overall draft pick. He's a captain now and he's been a captain for a while and he's only 27. To boot, he's a Torontonian.

How does that conversation go down? Would Lou whose a traditionalist in every sense of the word bring in a premier number one centre and captain of his team, whose from the city and say, although we don't have a captain in Toronto yet, we're going to name Auston Matthews some time in the next year or two? That doesn't sound like (what I perceive) our GM to provide as any kind of qualification to bring in a player like John Tavares. And I don't think Auston Matthews could help but be confused by the logical conclusion I think we have to draw that would see John Tavares brought in at a premier salary and with it an incoming captain from Toronto for Toronto.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think Tavares fits our club as great as he is. The price point and term (won't) doesn't make sense given the direction we're heading with Matthews, Marner and Nylander. And not to be uncharitable and completely mindful of the Island's woes, but he hasn't affected that club to any great degree as their captain.

I just don't see a painless scenario in any respect concerning John Tavares. Far too (and unnecessarily so) complicated in my analysis.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
surely they are just waiting for Matthews to sign his 8 year extension before giving him the C.
A: because he has committed long term and
B: because if they give it before im sure it would only help Matthews negotiations

Reactions: Mork and NovaLeaf

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Best case scenario is to overpay Tavares for a single year and re-asses then. I can't see his play style being very resistant to age, not enough to commit 10+ for 7 years.

Frankly if we signed him I'd play him on Matthews' RW, they'd be impossible to stop down low. Babcock's defensive requirements from his centers are a teensy bit different than Weight's.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Why folks worry about something as insignificant as the captaincy, I don't know. It sure has screwed the Leafs in the last two seasons hasn't it, NOT having a captain. Oh, let's go back to the glory days for the Leafs when they had a captain, captain Phanuef.

And since the Leafs aren't signing Tavares (I really don't think the Leafs management is THAT interested), but mostly for future cap reasons, why even has this discussion?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why folks worry about something as insignificant as the captaincy, I don't know. It sure has screwed the Leafs in the last two seasons hasn't it, NOT having a captain. Oh, let's go back to the glory days for the Leafs when they had a captain, captain Phanuef.

And since the Leafs aren't signing Tavares (I really don't think the Leafs management is THAT interested), but mostly for future cap reasons, why even has this discussion?

The Leafs were interested in Stamkos, I'm pretty sure they'd be just as interested in Tavares.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The Leafs were interested in Stamkos, I'm pretty sure they'd be just as interested in Tavares.
Not only where they interested in Stamkos they meet with him during the UFA negotiating period prior to July 1st before he re-signed in Tampa. So I can see them doing the same thing with Tavares and I'm sure he would be interested in meeting with the Leafs management.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Just the thought on him on the team gives me goose bumps. For my money more of an impact player than Stamkos, even when not on the scoresheet he's noticeable. Would be amazing to have!

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012

The Captaincy isn't insignificant. And when Toronto's had measurable success, there's been a captain. Clark, Gilmour, Sundin to say nothing of Armstrong, Keon, etc...Having the right leader matters. It's part of hockey. But as for Phaneuf - apples to cheeseburgers. Speculation around the captaincy when it affects the team given the players discussed but moreover how we respect a franchise foundational player like Auston Matthews as we continue to cultivate a new environment of success based on integrity is...really significant.

(Re: "why even has this discussion?"

As soon as I read this I thought, "Because I can has cheezburger?" ;) - Sorry. )

Reactions: therealkoho

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Just the thought on him on the team gives me goose bumps. For my money more of an impact player than Stamkos, even when not on the scoresheet he's noticeable. Would be amazing to have!

I'd love tho have him. Would be a massive upgrade on our center depth. It's a lot more formidable when you go against Matthews/Taveras as opposed to Matthews/Bozak/Kadri. I just don't know if I'd want that at the cost of a Marner or a Nylander, though.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They aren't signing Tavares.

The captaincy belongs to Matthews. He's the face of this organization for the next decade and a half

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I think Marleau will get it next year. Matthews gets it when he’s gone.

Maybe didn’t give Marleau it this year as it was his first season at the club?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Captaincy isn't insignificant. And when Toronto's had measurable success, there's been a captain. Clark, Gilmour, Sundin to say nothing of Armstrong, Keon, etc...Having the right leader matters. It's part of hockey. But as for Phaneuf - apples to cheeseburgers. Speculation around the captaincy when it affects the team given the players discussed but moreover how we respect a franchise foundational player like Auston Matthews as we continue to cultivate a new environment of success based on integrity is...really significant.

(Re: "why even has this discussion?"

As soon as I read this I thought, "Because I can has cheezburger?" ;) - Sorry. )

Sorry Brendan (since you have his picture), it isn't THAT significant other wise you would have appointed a captain earlier. It hasn't been so significant in the past two years where the Leafs have gone from last place to 8th place. But please, all this talk about whether it's Tavares or Matthews makes it sound like who is going be hall monitor in grade four.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad