ok.. let's just say Tavares does come here..

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Since the premise of the thread is assuming he signs in TO, I would like no captain appointed until the roster players are ready to vote on players nominated by fellow teammates. That may take half a season or longer. JMHO, I played lots of team sports over the years, and it was how captains were appointed most of the time. Seemed to work.​

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Sorry Brendan (since you have his picture), it isn't THAT significant other wise you would have appointed a captain earlier. It hasn't been so significant in the past two years where the Leafs have gone from last place to 8th place. But please, all this talk about whether it's Tavares or Matthews makes it sound like who is going be hall monitor in grade four.

Ok, Hockey Puck (since your picture is a hockey puck), I see your point that if it were important, our club would have named a captain by now. Makes sense. Definitely have to notify teams with captains that routinely appear in conference and championship finals and who win Stanley Cups and who vote on the process that they're playing into needless offensive stereotypes. Children that they are.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tavares isn't going to be the captain of any team he joins. You don't sign a player and give him the C when he's never even been in the locker room with the players, they only know about Tavares the player, not the person.

Matthews or Rielly will be the next captain of the Leafs.

Klinton

Feb 6, 2017
If you're not going to play the game; then don't answer.

He's not going to sign here; well that wasn't the premise of the discussion. Go bang your head against the wall.

Captain should go to Austin Matthews as he will be the long term future of Toronto.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Tavares isn't going to be the captain of any team he joins. You don't sign a player and give him the C when he's never even been in the locker room with the players, they only know about Tavares the player, not the person.

Matthews or Rielly will be the next captain of the Leafs.

or mitch.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Ok, Hockey Puck (since your picture is a hockey puck), I see your point that if it were important, our club would have named a captain by now. Makes sense. Definitely have to notify teams with captains that routinely appear in conference and championship finals and who win Stanley Cups and who vote on the process that they're playing into needless offensive stereotypes. Children that they are.

I find the banter on this post Tavares/Matthews on who should be captain childish. Appointing a captain by an NHL team is not childish. I guess Lou and Shanny (the real one) have no interest reaching the Conference or Cup finals by your logic since they haven't appointed a captain. Once the Leafs win round one this year, the Leafs better appoint a captain as it will apparently help them get to win round two and get to the championship final.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think if we win round 1 and Matthews has a good series... he should be named captain before round 2 starts.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's not Tavares' team even if he does come here. He'd basically be filling the Marian Hossa role.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
No Captain is better, there is too much pressure in Toronto anyways. Look at how much pressure Sundin received for being Captain. How did that benefit him OR the team?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Shanahan & Lou will hold a press conference on July 1st with Matthews signing his 8-year contract & getting the 'C' obviously because it's his team.

Once that's done, Tavares will reveal himself wearing Blue & White in his #91 when he makes his way from behind the Maple Leafs banner located behind Matthews, Shanahan & Lou. Boy, that's a GREAT dream ;)

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I personally think, IF it was a forgone conclusion that he signs here.

It would likely mean Nylander is being moved for a Dman.

I think the consensus is to have Willy as our 2C , eventually. He is taking strong side draws and given full time treatment while Matthews is hurt.

I'd think it's safe to say if Tavares comes here, he is a Center.

I'd hate to move Nylander. But if we could land a similar aged and progression Dman..... hot damn is that a lineup.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Brown - Tavares - Kapanen
Marleau- Kadri - Johnsson

Rielly - (Nylander trade)
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zeitsev

It's enticing. I just like Nylander too much...I trust our brass with the tough decisions that happen with strong, bloated talented teams

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I think the consensus is to have Willy as our 2C , eventually. He is taking strong side draws and given full time treatment while Matthews is hurt.

I'd hate to move Nylander. But if we could land a similar aged and progression Dman..... hot damn is that a lineup.

Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zeitsev

It's enticing. I just like Nylander too much...I trust our brass with the tough decisions that happen with strong, bloated talented teams

why would you have to move Nylander?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - Zeitsev

Who is the similar aged and progression defenseman? It's a faulty premise that just because you'd have Tavares you wouldn't need Nylander on the wings.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marner-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Kadri-Johnsson
Komarov-Aaltonen-Brown

Rielly-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Carrick
Borgman

Andersen
Backup