Rumor: Oilers Want a Veteran Defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers will just be adding a veteran #7 Dman and are not giving up a 1st.

Schenn, Barrie or Peeke seem like good enough options. Shouldn't cost more than a 3rd.

Reactions: ManByng

mab894

Nov 27, 2017
How about Marco Scandella for a mid round pick? I guess some salary would have to probably come back too

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It might be a great deal but a 2025 first is delusional.
Probably. A 2024 1st as the draft is weaker is fair value. For the Oilers it would have to be Holloway and a 2025 2nd. Or Savard and a 2025 2nd for a 2025 1st. Or Savard + (like Kovacevic) for a 2025 1st.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If Edmonton wants to get serious about bolstering their defense:

Foegele+Holloway+2025 1st
for
Marcus Pettersson+Acciari ($500k retained (25%))

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Probably. A 2024 1st as the draft is weaker is fair value. For the Oilers it would have to be Holloway and a 2025 2nd. Or Savard and a 2025 2nd for a 2025 1st. Or Savard + (like Kovacevic) for a 2025 1st.
I would not be happy with my team shipping out a 1st for Savard...but who knows...

Canadiens fans hit right on the Monahan deal. I just hope it isn't the Oilers paying up...

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Only if Colten Teubert isn't available.

He had me fooled as a young kid. Perfect example of how important development years, and the commitment to developing players is. Or isn’t to some. Player included.

Reactions: Norwegianoiler

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I would not be happy with my team shipping out a 1st for Savard...but who knows...

Canadiens fans hit right on the Monahan deal. I just hope it isn't the Oilers paying up...
Hughes isn't under any pressure to trade Savard this deadline as he has 1 more year left on his contract. He has a price that he set and if no one meets it then he won't trade him. Many are assuming it is a 1st that is the price.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It might be a great deal but a 2025 first is delusional.
It's a bad deal, but give how Montreal has gotten 1sts for other players I didn't think had any interest being worth a first, I wouldn't use the word "delusional". Montreal has mad a habit of selling their assets for 1st even if they aren't worth one.

Hughes isn't under any pressure to trade Savard this deadline as he has 1 more year left on his contract. He has a price that he set and if no one meets it then he won't trade him. Many are assuming it is a 1st that is the price.
I think we all understand the logic behind Montreal asking for a 1st for Savard. If they can't get the 1st, then keep him and get another year of play out of him, and hope to get a similar return next year to what they can get now. It makes sense. But it doesn't make the idea of Savard for a 1st more palatable from one of the teams would could be trading for him, ha ha.

Reactions: PuckG

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Matt Grezlyk or Derek Forbort on the cheap

Gryzz would be a great fit for them if they need a cost controlled PMD, everything Gryzz does well he does very well, his shortcomings are just glaring on the bruins because we have not enough of what he doesn't bring.

Forbort IDK....that sounds more like a would benefit the bruins and not EDM type deal for them

Aug 3, 2021
Love all the posters on the first page of this thread naming all of their crap leftover d-men that the Oilers should acquire! 😂😂😂
Understandable tbh.

They've already got 3 crap leftover d-men with Desharnais, Kulak, Ceci. Why the hell would they add more?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Kulak is still a bottom pairing D with massive IQ issues. If you would have told me there's no chance you get a 2nd for Kulak, I'd have believed you.
He has better on-ice stats than the majority of Montreal's defensemen. He fit Edmonton's needs like a glove.

You look back on those threads prior to that trade and that was the expected cost for what he was doing in relation to his cap hit.

I'm coming in late, but I'm assuming you're suggesting that Savard is worth a 1st. His contract and the term left on it hurts his perceived value.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kulak is still a bottom pairing D with massive IQ issues. If you would have told me there's no chance you get a 2nd for Kulak, I'd have believed you.
I have no idea what you're going on about. Kulak has been very good for the Oilers and gets better as the games get bigger. He's only a #4/#5, more pure bottom pairing this season, but you won't find one Oiler fan complaining about Kulak. Ceci, on the other hand, is another story.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
He has better on-ice stats than the majority of Montreal's defensemen. He fit Edmonton's needs like a glove.

You look back on those threads prior to that trade and that was the expected cost for what he was doing in relation to his cap hit.

I'm coming in late, but I'm assuming you're suggesting that Savard is worth a 1st. His contract and the term left on it hurts his perceived value.
I certainly hope he has better stats than the majority's of our D's given most of them are rookies/sophomores on a rebuilding team.

If we go back to 2022 when Kulak was a Hab, none of us expected a 2nd for him and that is actually a high deadline price for what he is as a player.

I'm suggesting that Savard at 75% retained is worth a 1st. That's a shot blocking machine with a cup for 2 seasons at 875k. If Sean Walker gets a first, then Savard at that price point is certainly worth it.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I certainly hope he has better stats than the majority's of our D's given most of them are rookies/sophomores on a rebuilding team.

If we go back to 2022 when Kulak was a Hab, none of us expected a 2nd for him and that is actually a high deadline price for what he is as a player.

I'm suggesting that Savard at 75% retained is worth a 1st. That's a shot blocking machine with a cup for 2 seasons at 875k. If Sean Walker gets a first, then Savard at that price point is certainly worth it.
For Montreal to get a 1st for Savard, they'd likely have to offer a package of multiple roster players, retain on Savard and likely take back the remaining salary of an offsetting negative value contract.

It just isn't a realistic trade. You're also not likely to find any takers for the multiple year retention of the other 25%.

Savard just isn't that valuable of a player. He blocks shots, but his best game is eight years behind him.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
It wouldn't surprise me if Washington wanted the Ekholm return for Jensen - I don't know if he's worth the extra bit in a one on one comparison, but in terms of team needs he certainly fills a hole.

That would be a 1st, a top prospect (not sure how Washington views Edmonton's prospects, but you would think it would have to be Broberg or Holloway here, Bourgault isn't tracking well and guys like
Carter Savoie are a step below as well. So to get it done, if they want the Ekholm return, it would be:
From Edmonton:

Edmonton's 2025 1st
Holloway or Broberg
Ceci
a mid round pick

From Washington
Jensen (with light retention - Ekholm has $250K retention)
Late pick

Savard at 875K IS a great deal - but I still don't know if he is worth a 1st.
Stop doing that

Reactions: McDoused
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad