Rumor: Oilers Want a Veteran Defenseman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I certainly hope he has better stats than the majority's of our D's given most of them are rookies/sophomores on a rebuilding team.

If we go back to 2022 when Kulak was a Hab, none of us expected a 2nd for him and that is actually a high deadline price for what he is as a player.

I'm suggesting that Savard at 75% retained is worth a 1st. That's a shot blocking machine with a cup for 2 seasons at 875k. If Sean Walker gets a first, then Savard at that price point is certainly worth it.
I think Habs fans were absolutely wanting a 2nd for him, if I remember correctly.

I also believe that the Oilers gave up the 2nd knowing that Kulak would be open to re-signing there, so they weren't looking at it as trading for a rental. If he left after that season, it would have been an awful trade, but we have gotten a 2nd round pick's worth from Brett Kulak, so I don't see why he even belongs in this conversation.

Savard right now isn't a better defenseman than Kulak. He's not significantly worse either, but I don't think he's better. Both are best used on the bottom pair, and can play on the 2nd pair in a pinch without costing the team. Savard for a 2nd seems like fair value to me. Even a 2nd.

I will be a little disappointed that we didn't get a better player if we traded our 2025 1st, although I would welcome Savard as a player.

Stop doing that
Stop doing what exactly?

Reactions: Dakine

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I think Habs fans were absolutely wanting a 2nd for him, if I remember correctly.

I also believe that the Oilers gave up the 2nd knowing that Kulak would be open to re-signing there, so they weren't looking at it as trading for a rental. If he left after that season, it would have been an awful trade, but we have gotten a 2nd round pick's worth from Brett Kulak, so I don't see why he even belongs in this conversation.

Savard right now isn't a better defenseman than Kulak. He's not significantly worse either, but I don't think he's better. Both are best used on the bottom pair, and can play on the 2nd pair in a pinch without costing the team. Savard for a 2nd seems like fair value to me. Even a 2nd.

I will be a little disappointed that we didn't get a better player if we traded our 2025 1st, although I would welcome Savard as a player.

Stop doing what exactly?
Just mentioning Ekholm haha. I know you were using that trade as a comparable though

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yes all the oilers dmen and forwards are crap defensively….. hmm why are the Oilers in top echelon of defence stats?
Exactly, some of these posters are being silly now. Kulak - Desharnais has been one of the best bottom pairs in the league. Ceci isn't leftovers on non-contenders. We just want an upgrade on him as he shouldn't be playing on a top shutdown pair and we really don't have another "shutdown" RD option.

Reactions: Dakine
Aug 3, 2021
Yes all the oilers dmen and forwards are crap defensively….. hmm why are the Oilers in top echelon of defence stats?
I didn't say "all", I named 3 players in specific. I also didn't mention forwards at all.

Reading comprehension, my dude. :o

Kamus

Oct 21, 2005
I didn't say "all", I named 3 players in specific. I also didn't mention forwards at all.

Reading comprehension, my dude. :o
Answer the question.Don’t be scared

If half the dmen the oilers ice suck. Your words

Nurse and Bouchard suck defensively- per HF

Drai and McDavid suck defensively-per HF

• Haha
Reactions: Artemi Panarin

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Answer the question.Don’t be scared

If half the dmen the oilers ice suck. Your words

Nurse and Bouchard suck defensively- per HF

Drai and McDavid suck defensively-per HF
Haters gonna hate. I think ceci is a lot happier since they told him to go forward. His game looks years younger .

Aug 3, 2021
close the thread. We got him
83c.gif

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Coming from the guys who's team paid a second rounder for Brett f***ing Kulak from us. Doubt it.
The Oilers aren’t in the same place of desperation they were then. Regardless, I don’t doubt Montreal’s ability to get a first for him. I just still don’t think he’s worth it.

Reactions: Gravity

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It wouldn't surprise me if Washington wanted the Ekholm return for Jensen - I don't know if he's worth the extra bit in a one on one comparison, but in terms of team needs he certainly fills a hole.

That would be a 1st, a top prospect (not sure how Washington views Edmonton's prospects, but you would think it would have to be Broberg or Holloway here, Bourgault isn't tracking well and guys like
Carter Savoie are a step below as well. So to get it done, if they want the Ekholm return, it would be:
From Edmonton:

Edmonton's 2025 1st
Holloway or Broberg
Ceci
a mid round pick

From Washington
Jensen (with light retention - Ekholm has $250K retention)
Late pick

I don't know Jensen well enough to speculate on the returns. But it's just where Edmonton is at, I think they might be in a spot where there isn't an alternative and they have to pay a dear price. But just my speculation:

If Jensen is a #2 caliber D then pay 1st + prospect + Ceci + midpick
If Jensen is a #3, then 1st + Ceci + midpick
If Jensen is a #4, then maybe prospect + pick or maybe just a 1st + Ceci

Savard at 875K IS a great deal - but I still don't know if he is worth a 1st.

He's not, Savard's results in the last few years haven't been any better than Ceci.

He fetched a 1st a few years ago but even that year he was falling off from his prime, he wasn't a positive contributor for Tampa.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Stop doing what exactly?

Savard is definitely better than Kulak but that is not even the debate as he is right handed and is also better than all of Ceci, Stetcher and Desharnais.

Given the terrible returns that we are seeing, he is not worth a first but you won't get him for a 2nd imo as Hughes would rather keep him than to take back a late 2nd which is statistically a low percentage pick. The Oilers don't know how to win playoff games and their D is woefully equipped to do so on the 3rd pairing and half of the 2nd pairing. Savard is a clear upgrade on any Oiler dman not named Nurse, Ekholm or Bouchard.......even in Bouchard's case Savard is a much better defender if you ignore Bouchard's value to the PP (not saying that you should ignore this)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad