Oilers vs Flames - Who will finish ahead in the standings?

Eskie Jetski

Jun 25, 2004
Quote:
I have heard many Oiler fans defend the Hall pick in this way (he was more ready to make an impact).

This is just another example of how inept Oiler management has been: if a rebuild is just beginning, why in hell would they draft a guy based on being ready to contribute now?

So if your team had the opportunity to draft Mario, Sidney, Ovechkin or similar franchise players, you wouldn't want to accelerate your rebuild? Heck, according to this guys logic why would your want your rebuild to take four years when it can last eight years!

Championship teams are built down the middle - if you are going to do a rebuild, you would think you might have some sort of blueprint or plan.

But nope, "we really liked him in the interview". Good plan.

So what exactly is the Flames plan? Shoehorn Mike Cammalleri into a centre position? I think only Toronto has weaker depth down the middle than they do.

To use a Wrestling analogy, playing the Oilers is like watching Maple Leaf Wrestling in the 70's when they would roll out tag team matches like Hulk Hogan and the Ultimate Warrior against The Honkey Tonk man and IRon Mike Sharpe

Can't even get your eras correct? This guy probably fits the wrestling fan stereotype.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Can someone here make me a nice avatar for an avatar bet with a dirty Flames fan on CP? The nastier the better, but it has to be one the guy can actually use. Post here if you'll do it, or PM me.

BadMedicine*

Iggy stayed to long and now he is hurting the team,his leadership style is more Detroit-like and the Flames are obviously going into rebuild mode where they will need a less laid back leader in the room to motivate youngsters.If history repeats itself Calgary will trade Iggy right away and lose 2/3 of their lineup and restock from the farmteam as the old Flames did in response to the Oilers youth and speed,why go into complicated trades if you are Calgary when it is youth energy and skill you are fighting? Keep Kipper and unload the rest of your assets,build from within.

Calgary has decided to run with Iginla one more time,if they falter early they pull the trigger on a series of big trades.They will falter early and after the trades they will fold like a wet tent once Kipper gets sick of losing and grows an attitude because of a stagnant dressing room.

Edmonton will start off with a bang and never look back,special teams will rule the day and JShultz will add a 5 on 5 threat that will allow the Oilers to keep their momentum rolling all season long. The Oilers will be running up the score on teams all year long,their PP wil be like a firing squad to teams who try to slow down the pace.

Our 2nd ine will really be a 1b,and we will break teams in the first periods with that firepower,and bury them early and often with no mercy,we must lose the olde style of pulling up the reins when there is a lot of blood in the water.We are trying to make an impression every game ,we are doleing out BadMedicine to anyone sick enough to think they can shut us down,and because we work for 60 mins we expect the opposition to do the same--it is out of respect that we will pound them lifeless for 60 complete NHL mins NOT disrespect .Our team needs to get this straight right away and keep it that way for 48 games.Moma2 says the Oilers need to start handing out some BadMedicine on the scoreboard for 60 mins right away and dont turn around and look the devil in the eye fo 48 games.

fastfeet*

Iggy stayed to long and now he is hurting the team,his leadership style is more Detroit-like and the Flames are obviously going into rebuild mode where they will need a less laid back leader in the room to motivate youngsters.If history repeats itself Calgary will trade Iggy right away and lose 2/3 of their lineup and restock from the farmteam as the old Flames did in response to the Oilers youth and speed,why go into complicated trades if you are Calgary when it is youth energy and skill you are fighting? Keep Kipper and unload the rest of your assets,build from within.

Calgary has decided to run with Iginla one more time,if they falter early they pull the trigger on a series of big trades.They will falter early and after the trades they will fold like a wet tent once Kipper gets sick of losing and grows an attitude because of a stagnant dressing room.

Edmonton will start off with a bang and never look back,special teams will rule the day and JShultz will add a 5 on 5 threat that will allow the Oilers to keep their momentum rolling all season long. The Oilers will be running up the score on teams all year long,their PP wil be like a firing squad to teams who try to slow down the pace.

Our 2nd ine will really be a 1b,and we will break teams in the first periods with that firepower,and bury them early and often with no mercy,we must lose the olde style of pulling up the reins when there is a lot of blood in the water.We are trying to make an impression every game ,we are doleing out BadMedicine to anyone sick enough to think they can shut us down,and because we work for 60 mins we expect the opposition to do the same--it is out of respect that we will pound them lifeless for 60 complete NHL mins NOT disrespect .Our team needs to get this straight right away and keep it that way for 48 games.Moma2 says the Oilers need to start handing out some BadMedicine on the scoreboard for 60 mins right away and dont turn around and look the devil in the eye fo 48 games.

Don't you think it's a little early to lecture the Flames on how to be a winner? We, in all likelihood, have an excellent future to look forward to, however until we actually take the next step, maybe we shouldn't be bashing a team that has in the last 3 years has been 78 points ahead of us. Should the Flames have started a rebuild after missing the playoffs for the 2nd year in a row after the 2010/2011 season? Probably. But it looks like they'd rather re-tool and try to remain a competitive team, while building for the future. You can't get top 5 picks with this mindset but as abysmal the Flames were at developing prospects under Sutter, there has been major improvement under Feaster. For the record, I don't think Feaster is the kind of GM that can build a true contender, but you have to give a little credit for cleaning up a lot of the mess Sutter left him.

As for Tambellini, he has done well with a few of his most recent trades, but it doesn't take a genius to draft 1st overall, 3 years in a row. I think Tambellini will need to really step up his game to fill out this roster to be a contender, or he should be shown the door as well.

No question we have skill in spades upfront and will be a high scoring, fun team to watch. But even with Schultz our D and goaltending are suspect and it is unlikely we will be a dominant team this year, although playoffs are definitely not out of the realm of possibility.

As for your suggestion to trade everyone except Kipper, Kipper would likely fetch the highest return in a trade. An elite goalie in the last year of his deal will be very sought after once the playoff race heats up (assuming the Flames aren't in the race as well).

I can't stand these kind of homer statements. Please take off the Oiler-coloured glasses and have some objectivity. The day is coming where we will be much better than the Flames, hopefully soon, but can we keep the chest pumping an bravado in check, until we actually improve to the point where we aren't a bottom 2 team in the league? Don't lower yourself to become a Calgarypuck-esque troll who thinks their team can do no wrong.

fastfeet*

Is the Oiler/Hawks/Pens right way to do it? maybe. Not guarnteed by any means. Teams like CBJ and NYI show it doesnt always work. But its a good option.

At the same time is the way they are going correct? not more correct than a full scale rebuild. They are on a treadmill and cant seem to sign the FA's to make them go enough. Teams like New Jersey, Philly and Boston have done it through solid mgmt, good trades, good drafting and good FA signings. The flames have average FA signing, bad trading and undetermined drafting success. Not sold at all that they can get by without a rebuild. Calgary like Edmonton is not a FA hotspot and I dont buy that Feaster can pull off good trades. (was Phaneuf during his tenure).

I do believe they have good assets that could get significant returns that could speed up their rebuild. Say at the deadline Philly is desperate and offers them B. Schenn or some equal package. They dont have to trade for 5 draft picks, they can get young players for Iggy/Kipper/Jbow. When EDM went into rebuild mode they didnt have those assets, they only had their own picks and lesser assets like Penner. If the Flames pulled the trigger this year and got younger prospects plus drafted a guy like Mackinnon or Barkov they could be on par with the Oilers by the end of next season. Theyd have Sven, Barkov (assumption), Gaudreau and 2/3 young prospects aquired through trade to compete against the big 5.

But the longer they wait the more the return diminishes. And I believe holding on the Iggy will be more about pride because they dont have the roster to make the playoffs or do well in the playoffs this year. So as an Oiler fan I support them holding on to Iggy as long as possible, but as a hockey fan I see that they have a unique opporunity

Fantastic, well thought out post. I agree with everything you said here 100%.

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
Apart from the accusations of homerism, overhyping the hope and hate blinders, the obvious cycle of youth and high end skill will over match age and all its frailties sooner or later; and the later has come forth. The Oilers will be better than the Flames this year. It is okay to say that outloud; everyone can hear you.

Some of the Oilers have their young talents with 1-2 year experience in the NHL already and they did quite well. I am talking about our high end talents of Eberle, Hall and RNH. We have 3 first overall pick plus if we had a redraft for Eberle and J. Schultz, they could be 3rd and 2nd overall, respectively. We will be very good very fast. I have no doubt. We beat the Flames in our last two match ups last year with Dubnyk in net.

Dubnyk has been groomed along perhaps a little too slowly having Khabby and his big contract around. Given that Dubnyk had a sensational last 25 -30 games with great numbers, I think Dubnyk has finally turned the corner. Remember, he played as a backup for most of the year (2011-2012) and a with mistake-prone d corps (some cycled up from the minors) playing in front surely did not help his cause. As a backup and playing lesser minutes, he was exposed to the hardships of inexperience, steep learning curve and fragile confidence.

With a healthy Whitney and Hemsky, more polished Smid and Petry, I am hopeful, they will contribute majorly. We need Gagner to get over his average 45 pt hump and beyond. Yakupov, seems to get his quotes lost in translation, is a proud, loyal, compassionate and mature person. With his high end speed and hands to match, he will be handful for the Flames' slower Dmen.

fastfeet*

Apart from the accusations of homerism, overhyping the hope and hate blinders, the obvious cycle of youth and high end skill will over match age and all its frailties sooner or later; and the later has come forth. The Oilers will be better than the Flames this year. It is okay to say that outloud; everyone can hear you.

Some of the Oilers have their young talents with 1-2 year experience in the NHL already and they did quite well. I am talking about our high end talents of Eberle, Hall and RNH. We have 3 first overall pick plus if we had a redraft for Eberle and J. Schultz, they could be 3rd and 2nd overall, respectively. We will be very good very fast. I have no doubt. We beat the Flames in our last two match ups last year with Dubnyk in net.

Dubnyk has been groomed along perhaps a little too slowly having Khabby and his big contract around. Given that Dubnyk had a sensational last 25 -30 games with great numbers, I think Dubnyk has finally turned the corner. Remember, he played as a backup for most of the year (2011-2012) and a with mistake-prone d corps (some cycled up from the minors) playing in front surely did not help his cause. As a backup and playing lesser minutes, he was exposed to the hardships of inexperience, steep learning curve and fragile confidence.

With a healthy Whitney and Hemsky, more polished Smid and Petry, I am hopeful, they will contribute majorly. We need Gagner to get over his average 45 pt hump and beyond. Yakupov, seems to get his quotes lost in translation, is a proud, loyal, compassionate and mature person. With his high end speed and hands to match, he will be handful for the Flames' slower Dmen.

Uggggggh. It's exactly these kinds of viewpoints that make us all look bad. I want more than anything to be a great team and to destroy the Flames. However, running around yelling how great we are, with chest thumping bravado, even though we have yet to make any real improvement makes you look like an uber homer. I get that everyone wants to have optimism, but why bash a team that we've been 3-15 against the last 3 years, and miles behind in the standings. I hate the Flames as much as the next guy but saying we're going to destroy them, based purely on optimism without results makes you look foolish. I can't wait unil we are a legit threat, but until we address our D and goalie problems, I don't think we need to proclaim we are the next dynasty.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Uggggggh. It's exactly these kinds of viewpoints that make us all look bad. I want more than anything to be a great team and to destroy the Flames. However, running around yelling how great we are, with chest thumping bravado, even though we have yet to make any real improvement makes you look like an uber homer. I get that everyone wants to have optimism, but why bash a team that we've been 3-15 against the last 3 years, and miles behind in the standings. I hate the Flames as much as the next guy but saying we're going to destroy them, based purely on optimism without results makes you look foolish. I can't wait unil we are a legit threat, but until we address our D and goalie problems, I don't think we need to proclaim we are the next dynasty.

The Flames fans do the same thing to the Canucks :laugh:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

The past is just the past. There is nothing wrong with being optimistic about the Oilers future or being negative about the Flames. Most non Oiler/Flame fans feel the same way about each team's respective future. The Flames have an aging core and few can't miss prospects apart from Baertschi, who at best, will replace Iginla's contribution as he ages or is moved. The Oilers have 3 1st overall players along with Eberle and Schultz. That is a pretty great core to build around. Any fanbase in the league would be happy with that.

Sure some people might get ahead of themselves, but telling everyone they have no right to be pleased with how things are looking for us doesn't seem right either. Besides, all fanbases have homers, even the Flames, although I can't imagine what Flames homers have to talk about these days.

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Likening Eberle to Comrie...

will_smith_wtf_gif.gif

I'm not even going to bother touching the RNH/Brule thing.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I truly don't understand the reasoning behind people who say the Oilers should have left RNH stay in Juniors an extra year to bulk up and also not waste a year of ELC. First of all, wasting a year of ELC is a moot point and would only matter if the Oilers had serious cap issues or were close to contending for a Stanley Cup and needed the extra salary cap room. And secondly, I only saw RNH get hit hard maybe only twice all season last year. His injury started from him falling into the boards himself and not from another player. He not only showed that he could survive in this league against bigger players, but he was one of the Oilers top players and is one of the best young players in the NHL period. All one has to do is look at his development and chemistry he built with Eberle and Hall. All of that far outweighs anything he could have accomplished with another year in Red Deer. I guess jealousy tends to make people come up with really stupid and moronic statements. I wonder if the same Flame fans who believe that RNH should have stayed in Junior feel that Baertschi should stay in the AHL all year to develop this year. He's had a few injuries already early in his career.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Oiler fans have been saying this for the last what... 5 seasons?

Maybe your time has finally come.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Oiler fans have been saying this for the last what... 5 seasons?

Maybe your time has finally come.

Throughout this rebuild most fans haven't been saying that we'll be better than Calgary every year. Most are instead just commenting that the Flames are trending downwards whereas the Oilers are trending upwards.

With that said though, I do think that this is the year that the Oilers surpass the Flames in the standings and I feel it will stay that way for quite awhile afterwards.

Turrican*

I used to have a fake flames fan account. It was the longest account I ever had.
Until they had enough of my "angry at my team" schtick haha

I still can't believe that guy said that you can get banned at HF easier than CP.
CP banned me purely on my username once. I didn't even say anything close to banworthy.

They ban you based on the FEAR that you will hurt their feelings. It's hilarious.

It's a joke over there. Delusional jokers.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Hey all.

It appears I was mistaken about posting stuff from CP. Some higher ups feel that violates the spirit of the clause in the HF Trolling rule. I am removing all those posts and posts that have quoted them, and I would ask that you not post any more stuff from there, no matter how silly it is.

Sorry for misleading you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad