Oilers vs Flames - Who will finish ahead in the standings?

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Simple question - who do you think will finish higher in the standings in this shortened season, Oilers or Flames? Is this the year the Oilers finally pass the Flames? Lets try to keep this civil folks.

Last edited:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I was at teh 6-1 drubbing in Calgary and it was glorious to see the shock on the flames fans faces, their time is gone and our time is just beginning. hope we sweep them every game for the next 5 years....or eternity

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
With the randomness factor in a shortened season, it could definitely go either way. That being said, on paper, all the signs point to the Oilers getting the advantage this season, plus the homer factor.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think the Oilers pass the Flames this year, and that Flames fans disregard the results since it's a shortened season.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I think the Oilers pass the Flames this year, and that Flames fans disregard the results since it's a shortened season.

and because we tanked for a million seasons to get good players that will leave via FA as soon as they can

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Surely Tambo and Krueger would be canned if we didn't finish ahead of the Flames.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Surely Tambo and Krueger would be canned if we didn't finish ahead of the Flames.

I think anything less then a serious push for a playoff position should start costing higher ups their jobs. But I don't expect that will happen.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Its like you guys can read the minds of the morons at calgarypuke.com

Confirmation bias is a powerful thing, and CP is particularly bad for it because they are mostly bereft of outside opinion.

Although I will admit I do still swing by there from time to time for chuckles and to see if I am still famous around there :D

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Guess I'm still grumpy from the lockout but I think we're being overly optimistic here and all the talk of "they should have an advantage because they were all playing together during the lockout" is just a bit to easy. When have they taken the step forward that we've all been expecting? Why have the Barons been so mediocre despite all our future superstars being there? What depth do we have on the blueline?

I'm holding out hope that Krueger can turn them into a team with a system that works but until it happens I'll remain doubtful.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I was at teh 6-1 drubbing in Calgary and it was glorious to see the shock on the flames fans faces, their time is gone and our time is just beginning. hope we sweep them every game for the next 5 years....or eternity

That was certainly a fun game to be at. I regret not wearing my jersey because I was so sure the Flames would club us yet again.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Confirmation bias is a powerful thing, and CP is particularly bad for it because they are mostly bereft of outside opinion.

Although I will admit I do still swing by there from time to time for chuckles and to see if I am still famous around there :D

While CP is indeed a cesspool, a few of them are actually predicting that we finish ahead of them. It's rather shocking.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Its like you guys can read the minds of the morons at calgarypuke.com

lol i dont need calgary puck i live in calgary, that site isnt just a small population of the fanbase, the majority are like that

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
That was certainly a fun game to be at. I regret not wearing my jersey because I was so sure the Flames would club us yet again.

when the flames scored first and everyone was dancing and high fiving i looked at my wife and said "its funny how a goal can make people go full Pejorative Slur" then fast forward 3 goals and i was high fiving and dancing loving every second of it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
when the flames scored first and everyone was dancing and high fiving i looked at my wife and said "its funny how a goal can make people go full Pejorative Slur" then fast forward 3 goals and i was high fiving and dancing loving every second of it.

Indeed. And even though the Flames scored first they were playing very poorly and the only reason they scored was because Dubnyk has trouble with point shots.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
While CP is indeed a cesspool, a few of them are actually predicting that we finish ahead of them. It's rather shocking.

As with most any forum, there are some smart posters there. I didn't mean to insinuate that there aren't. It's just those ones tend to get drowned out by the rest who don't know squat, and just repeat what they have heard from inside their bubble.

Calgary will be the weakest in the NW.

Vancouver and Edmonton will both make the playoffs, with Colorado and Minnesota on the bubble.

Swap Minnie and Edmonton. Unless massive injuries happen, I'd say the Wild are a lock for the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Guess I'm still grumpy from the lockout but I think we're being overly optimistic here and all the talk of "they should have an advantage because they were all playing together during the lockout" is just a bit to easy. When have they taken the step forward that we've all been expecting? Why have the Barons been so mediocre despite all our future superstars being there? What depth do we have on the blueline?

I'm holding out hope that Krueger can turn them into a team with a system that works but until it happens I'll remain doubtful.

I agree. The defence is still very weak and the goaltending is a huge question mark. Below average defences and questionable goaltending is not part of any recipe for success.

The only thing that might help this team is the shortened season which would mean it doesn't get as exposed as the season wears on.

This season should have an asterisk beside it anyway...shortened seasons are not an accurate barometer of how good a team is.

As for who does better between the Flames and Oilers....The Flames are better in net and have a better defence. The Oilers are better up front although I still think they are too small.
I would love to see the Oilers vault ahead in this short season but it is most certainly not a lock.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab

The reason the Barons aren't doing well has nothing to do with the guys that are going to be in the NHL. They scored over half the teams goals between 3 guys. Hall, Ebs and Schultz. I don't know where you don't see the step forward that both Hall and Eberle have taken this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad