GDT: Oilers vs Canucks 8 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Or maybe we are putting so much priority on the playoffs that the implications of this game don't really matter

We are far enough behind Vancouver that in order for us to win the division we would need to win tonight and potentially win the rest too. Maybe this isn't worth going to war for

Far enough behind? They'd be 1 point back with a game in hand and San Jose and Arizona looming if they won in regulation tonight. If McDavid isn't playing tonight, I think it should raise a little concern because it's an important game.

Reactions: GreeningOil

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Far enough behind? They'd be 1 point back with a game in hand and San Jose and Arizona looming if they won in regulation tonight. If McDavid isn't playing tonight, I think it should raise a little concern because it's an important game.
It's so muddy though, as the Canucks own the tie breaker between us, and of course McDavid playing is no guarantee of victory.

It's likely that the org is going at this as wanting their cake and eating it too, which I think is correct. We clinched home ice for the first round so we can play it safe and get McDavid to 100%. At the same time we can still push to win enough games to win the division. It's 3 out of 4 points without McDavid so far. If the Canucks are really as overrated as everyone says we should be okay. It's at home as well

Reactions: Porkleaker

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Random question does anyone know what the loge tables go for during playoffs?? Ate the even available? Lol

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
We should have LTIR McDavid at the trade deadline and brought in a couple of guys.
I think MCDavid is more than a little hurt and he should have been rested earlier. He hasn't looked himself despite having a great year. With the team clinching and Vegas stumbling, LA faltering and the Canucks coming down to earth its as good a time as any to rest and let him heal and hopefully be more than 80% for the playoffs. Given the start we had McDavid in the lineup was needed more than the rest, but we locked up 2nd and home ice now, no need to have play the rest of the season, well maybe the last game or two for conditioning.

I didn't care about the division title anyway....
its a useless platitude in the end. We are going to have make it through 4 good teams no matter what position we finish in. Its just a banner for next October and without the cup its pretty meaningless, much like a presidents trophy of the western conference championship trophy.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's so muddy though, as the Canucks own the tie breaker between us, and of course McDavid playing is no guarantee of victory.

It's likely that the org is going at this as wanting their cake and eating it too, which I think is correct. We clinched home ice for the first round so we can play it safe and get McDavid to 100%. At the same time we can still push to win enough games to win the division. It's 3 out of 4 points without McDavid so far. If the Canucks are really as overrated as everyone says we should be okay. It's at home as well

It's not muddy though. Win in regulation tonight and you beat San Jose, Arizona and a Colorado team that might have nothing to play for and you win the division.

I'm not saying this is a game that McDavid should push his limits to play if he's not 100% but if a super competitor like him isn't playing a big game, it should cause some concern that something is indeed still bothering him. He would never sit out a game like this for rest so it's a bit concerning tbh.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Knoblauch saying they were initially optimistic that he would be ready faster, but that is not the case. Must have had a setback or hasn't had any improvement.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Welp. No McDavid gives this team a true test against a team that has frankly owned them this season. Next up, over to Draisaitl to lead this team with a big game. Love his interview. They need to get their top goal scorer more kill shot opportunities and for the big man to drive his shot opportunities.

Have to think this team had this game pencilled in to reset embarrassing losses with their abysmal start. Now the redemption opportunity gets even sweeter without its generational super star. Let's see what ya got Oil. Bring it!

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Enjoy! Roger's is pretty good.
I am in the nosebleeds but it's free I am too much of a miser to ever buy tickets I've seen a ton of games in Northlands when my buddy's dad owned a radio station in Edmonton but that was many years ago was at Gretzky 50 in 39 games his dad was pissed he never thought he would score 5 goals that night lol

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Welp. No McDavid gives this team a true test against a team that has frankly owned them this season. Next up, over to Draisaitl to lead this team with a big game. Love his interview. They need to get their top goal scorer more kill shot opportunities and for the big man to drive his shot opportunities.

Have to think this team had this game pencilled in to reset embarrassing losses with their abysmal start. Now the redemption opportunity gets even sweeter without its generational super star. Let's see what ya got Oil. Bring it!
I think they looked past the Coyotes last night with their mind on tonight's game. I really hope that they bring it, especially Draisaitl. He deferred way too much last night, especially in overtime when he passed into Nurse's skates rather than shooting. I think he's either lost confidence in his shot or something is affecting his shooting mechanics.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think they looked past the Coyotes last night with their mind on tonight's game. I really hope that they bring it, especially Draisaitl. He deferred way too much last night, especially in overtime when he passed into Nurse's skates rather than shooting. I think he's either lost confidence in his shot or something is affecting his shooting mechanics.

I wouldn't be shocked if he isn't playing through an injury like McDavid was

Along with Ekholm (seems healed up now), Kane, perhaps some others

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
View attachment 850919

View attachment 850920

Vancouver’s been riding the PDO wave like nobodies business with many of their players having career years. It’s a formula Calgary used two years ago when we knocked them off their perch and rarely works come playoff time.

View attachment 850924

View attachment 850925

Luck has a way of getting squashed come playoff time as the Canucks are about to find out come Round 1.

View attachment 850927

Time now for the Oilers Revenge game. The Canucks dummied us 3 in a row early on when Woodcock decided to coach a system he had no clue how to run after yet another summer camp style training camp in which both Ekholm and McDavid got injured. Time to take care of unfinished business.

————-///————

:edmonton Projected Lines

RNH - Draisaitl - Hyman
Kane - Henrique - Foegele
Holloway - McLeod - Perry
Janmark - Ryan - Brown

Ekholm- Bouchard
Nurse - Stecher
Kulak - Desharnais

Skinner starting.

————-///————

:nucks Projected Lines

Hoglander Pettersson Boeser
Joshua Miller Garland
DiGuisepe Lindholm Mikheyev
Suter Blueger Lafferty

Hughes Hronek
Soucy Myers
Zadorov Cole

DeSmith

————-///————

GD Music - Operation Ground and Pound - Dragonforce

————-///————

Fearless Prediction

Oilers 5 Vancouver 2

————-///————

Is that Brown's girlfriend?

Relax folks. It's just an eviscerated spleen.
Stone has got and eviscerated spleen and Campbell's nuts.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

we haven't played since November. We aren't the same team we back then and neither are they.

I wouldn't put much stock in Vancouvers victories earlier this year.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Division is definitely there for the taking. Though I'm more concerned about drawing Nashville over LA than about anything McDavid related.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Draisail’s shooting mechanics. Plays two very different games as a McWinger where he is q primary shooter option off McDavid’s disruption game. Whereas at centre he playa a hard, controlled slower game where he distributes more like last night deferring to Nurse instead of wiring that open high danger shot. Hope he can be a bit more selfish to increase his shot volume. Team needs this.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
we haven't played since November. We aren't the same team we back then and neither are they.

I wouldn't put much stock in Vancouvers victories earlier this year.
The points are on the board. That’s the hard reality. This team has won big games recently against nemesis Colorado & Vegas and this shakes out the same with a divisional rival that has tilted this year’s scoresheet and results. It is a huge test without McDavid and in chasing down a miraculous shot at first in the division. Lots to play for in all regards.

Let’s see how they respond. A very good test.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
The points are on the board. That’s the hard reality. This team has won big games recently against nemesis Colorado & Vegas and this shakes out the same with a divisional rival that has tilted this year’s scoresheet and results. It is a huge test without McDavid and in chasing down a miraculous shot at first in the division. Lots to play for in all regards.

Let’s see how they respond. A very good test.
Sure, but those points don't influence tonights game at all. We aren't the same team, they aren't same team and for all intents and purposes it's a clean slate. We've clinched home ice. The division title is a nice to have, but ultimately meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad