Confirmed with Link: Oilers trade Puljujarvi to the Canes for Patrik Puistola

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Says more about what they think of Puistola than anything.

I expect this is nothing more than an audition to see if Poolparty can actually mesh with this team. He might work on the 3rd next to Staal next year if he looks good. For now, he...replaces Stepan?
Sometimes you draft a guy with all the other tools and hope the skating comes around. In Pistols case it didn't happen.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
It's at worst a "meh, whatever" deal. He'll get a chance basically to become the future Fast replacement. Worst case he sucks or asks for a higher contract than he's worth (see Foegele), we let him walk, find someone else, and it only cost us a 22 y/o prospect who's rights expire in a few months who probably leaning closer to bust than boom.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mean, sure I guess. I think it's an okay chance and if it works he can replace Fast next year. We also were all just pointing out the lack of depth, and now we have a little more NHL depth up front.

The price doesn't bother me. We've heard from a handful of people that actually watch Puistola they don't think he's likely to make an NHL impact.

I didn't really want to give Jesse his last chance at this point as compared to a couple of years ago, but I'm willing to see how it goes.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So what’s the cap look like now? And how does this help the offense?
7.1m and change to play around with yet.

I wanted to see us do Ghost @50% (2.25) and Reinhart (6.5) but the math doesn't work now. It would fit if we get a second retainer on Ghost to get him to 75% (1.125) and send Coghlan other way in one of the two trades or simply send him down to the A. We're at 46 contracts so that bit wouldn't be an issue. We could still even sign Morrow after UMass is eliminated in the Hockey East tourney and be OK contract wise cause... yeah they ain't going dancing.

Last edited:

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
21a3db7f-9070-411d-a8f0-ff2af0a8c326_text.gif

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
I would have liked to have gotten a sweetner to eat 3 million in space but I guess we can’t be greedy.
I could be wrong but I can't imagine this management group doing anyone a favor out of the goodness of their hearts. My expectation is this is tied to something else.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Echoing my comments before: this is a move I would have been fine with at 2:45 on deadline day.

A little eh about it now, but there's still plenty of space to make a move for a top 6 forward before the deadline.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Puljujarvi's QO is $3 million

He has 14 points this year with minutes next to McDavid

There is a very high % chance that he is not qualified. He would have to show a lot over the next couple months. I don't think he gets that opportunity in crunch time with a new system.

Maybe they think they can sign him to a cheaper deal.

Can anyone pull how many minutes he has with McDavid this year? I don’t know how to do this lol.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ugh really?

Poolparty is damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. Maybe the front office is getting Nino for Rask vibes but I'm not feeling it.

I'll give it a chance but this is a reclamation project to end all reclamation projects.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Meh.

It makes sense to bring him in with his finnish friends, and Edmonton can be rid of him.

But he's not going to move the needle this year or next. I wouldn't be shocked if he re-signs, but he's very much a reclamation project. I can't imagine him cracking the roster right now.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Meh.

It makes sense to bring him in with his finnish friends, and Edmonton can be rid of him.

But he's not going to move the needle this year or next. I wouldn't be shocked if he re-signs, but he's very much a reclamation project. I can't imagine him cracking the roster right now.
I feel like he could def play on the 4th line right now

Reactions: SlavinAway

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Oilers fan. I think there will be a lot less pressure on him.

He is really a polarizing player. He was great last year and then just fell off. Hasnt really looked great at any point this year. He was amazing on the forecheck and has become more of a physical player. He creates chaos on the ice.

I think there is a player there. I think its a good bet for you guys. Carolina is probably the best place for him. Good on Holland for sending him somewhere where he at least has a chance to succeed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad