Post-Game Talk: Oilers took a working vacation too

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The penalty was one that could've gone either way. Doubtful that we'd get that call tonight. It was another example of how good he is at closing on the forecheck.

Since being paired together, he and Ryan are 0-2 together at evens and they've been a saw off in terms of shot share. Brown had a poor start to the season but it's noticeable that he's catching up.

Be ready to eat your words in a few weeks.
savingprivateryan-ww2.gif

I'll age quicker into a senior by the time Connor Brown scores a damn goal at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: oobga and Ibanez

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
How the f*** can anybody continue to defend Connor Brown at this point? Jacob Markstrom aka a goalie has the same amount of assists as him. The NHL is a results-based driven league. I could give a rats ass if he's doing the 'right things' when he can't even contribute offensively on the scoreboard. The Oilers didn't sign Connor Brown to be a guy who can do the right things and be defensively good. They signed him thinking he would produce as a top 6 FWD. He's not even producing at a bottom 6 level either. How embarrassing can it be for a dman like Ceci to score after 172 games. How Perry just recently joined the Oilers, but knows it just takes a simple greasy crashing the net for a goal. What the f*** does Brown even do aside from being the cardio king on this team? It's f***ing gross he's taking up valuable cap space next year on this team from his bonus.

I said it before and I'll say it again. There's no way in hell other cup contending teams would've given Brown this much leeway. 43 games with no goals is UNACCEPTABLE for any forward in the NHL.
His deal is really stupid. Since I got that out of the way. He’s been getting better actually. He’s actually not a bad 4th liner. He’s not the issue. The issue is we don’t have 2RW and 3C.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Semantics. The defining difference in this game was quality of goaltending. That can't even be argued. Thats the point.

Trade goalies in this game and we win 6-3. Put it that way.

Even in the telecast they were speaking repeatedly about Binnington robbery.
Your point, and obviously arguable since I am, it’s hardly being agreed upon here. Your own posts have pointed out the glaring flaws in the team game tonight, and then you just say something completely unsupportable that Skinner is the sole reason for the oilers loss, it’s not a credible position.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
His deal is really stupid. Since I got that out of the way. He’s been getting better actually. He’s actually not a bad 4th liner. He’s not the issue. The issue is we don’t have 2RW and 3C.
0 goals isn’t acceptable from a forward period. Hell his assists aren’t acceptable either. If 2/3 of your 4th line has a total of 1 goal between them this far into the season, you are setting yourself up for playoff failure.

Reactions: Duke74 and McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
His deal is really stupid. Since I got that out of the way. He’s been getting better actually. He’s actually not a bad 4th liner. He’s not issue. The issue is we don’t have 2RW and 3C

Our 4th line is a black hole offensively and that's primarily on him and 1 goal Janmark. Would be nice to have some depth here and there to contribute.

I personally don't care how good they are on the PK (despite the PK looking like shit lately) those 2 are f***ing terrible. Can't win in the playoffs when we have 1 goal combined between two offensive black holes that are the definition of the decade of darkness in the Eric Belanger triangle depth-like players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Your point, and obviously arguable since I am, it’s hardly being agreed upon here. Your own posts have pointed out the glaring flaws in the team game tonight, and then you just say something completely unsupportable that Skinner is the sole reason for the oilers loss, it’s not a credible position.
Trade goalies in the game and we win. Thats it.

Do you actually dispute that?

Unless you have people on ignore multiple posters are agreeing with my point.

Reactions: Keggatron

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
0 goals isn’t acceptable from a forward period. Hell his assists aren’t acceptable either. If 2/3 of your 4th line has a total of 1 goal between them this far into the season, you are setting yourself up for playoff failure.
It’s not acceptable I agree. But keep in mind the guy is recovering from a season ending knee injury. The Oilers playoffs is not hinging on a 4th liner. You’re getting too worked up over him. Like I said, add a legit 2RW and 3C, the oilers would be crushing their opponents

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Our 4th line is a black hole offensively and that's primarily on him and 1 goal Janmark. Would be nice to have some depth here and there to contribute.

I personally don't care how good they are on the PK (despite the PK looking like shit lately) those 2 are f***ing terrible. Can't win in the playoffs when we have 1 goal combined between two offensive black holes that are the definition of the decade of darkness in the Eric Belanger triangle depth-like players.

All 162lbs and 5'9 hometown boy Ramblin James Hamblin can even pot one

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

4th liners aren’t really there to score. They’re there to not get scored on. Our 2nd line and 3rd lines aren’t doing enough

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
4th liners aren’t really there to score. They’re there to not get scored on. Our 2nd line and 3rd lines aren’t doing enough

I'm not saying they're there to score, but you would certainly want your bottom 6 (including the 4th line) to chip in here and there offensively, especially on nights when the top 6 doesn't get it going, or the team just needs that extra momentum. Giving Brown a gross contract only to be like 'Yeah well, he doesn't let the other team score either' is just inexcusable. I'd rather have Devin Shore back if that was the case, and Shore even has a goal this year on Seattle. Brown's comical.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Just so much wrong with his game. Tentative, hopelessly unphysical, he's not an energy player. EV, any of his minutes played he serves no role. Not only doesn't he score or produce a drop, he has no intangibles and doesn't hit.
Just waive the guy. I don’t know what we are waiting for. At least let him get some goals in the ahl. Sometimes you need to see the puck hit the twine to stop gripping the stick so tight

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This was legitimately one of Connor Brown's best games. Good jump, two solid scoring chances with a crossbar and wide. Unfortunately his work was blunted somewhat with a stupid penalty 200 feet from his net. Trouble is this player is trying to dig himself out of a forty foot hole.

Oilers need a cornerstone 3C to 'captain' this team's bottom six and stabilize their defending and pk support. Line 4 isn't big enough and need some size. This Oilers group depth doesn't match up to deep playoff competitors. And behind them, the Oilers have the greatest unknown in net with a second year guy working to build his consistency required as the last line of defense for legitimate Cup teams. Can Skinner elevate? Maybe. Could he struggle? Maybe. That's a pretty important area to have as a highly variable risk factor.

Priority and their better assets have to be utilized to strengthen this team's team defending. 3C and top 4RD upgrade. The can look at 2RW after that with a passable UFA option that's left on the table. Should be auditioning Lavoie to assess if a 6'4" young guy with an elite shot could be a passable option to help save their limited trade collateral bullets to fortify defending in front of Skinner.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
They'll figure it out

Good teams go through this, Avalanche look like shit right now, Rangers did last month etc

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just waive the guy. I don’t know what we are waiting for. At least let him get some goals in the ahl. Sometimes you need to see the puck hit the twine to stop gripping the stick so tight
I hate to say this but think about who lobbied hard to get Connor Brown here. Then think about who lobbied hard so that Foegele could get a new contract (and overpay) here.

Its Captain Connor McDavid. I even linked an article couple days ago where McD is saying he really wanted the Oilers to keep Foegele because he really fits in on and OFF the ice. he actually said that.

McD was lobbying for the team to get Brown last two offseasons.

Unfortunately a small part of the baggage of having Connor McDavid is giving in to his playthings being around. imo a Captain shouldn't be doing that, and the team shouldn't be listening.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
This was legitimately one of Connor Brown's best games. Good jump, two solid scoring chances with a crossbar and wide. Unfortunately his work was blunted somewhat with a stupid penalty 200 feet from his net. Trouble is this player is trying to dig himself out of a forty foot hole.

Oilers need a cornerstone 3C to 'captain' this team's bottom six and stabilize their defending and pk support. Line 4 isn't big enough and need some size. This Oilers group depth doesn't match up to deep playoff competitors. And behind them, the Oilers have the greatest unknown in net with a second year guy working to build his consistency required as the last line of defense for legitimate Cup teams. Can Skinner elevate? Maybe. Could he struggle? Maybe. That's a pretty important area to have as a highly variable risk factor.

Priority and their better assets have to be utilized to strengthen this team's team defending. 3C and top 4RD upgrade. The can look at 2RW after that with a passable UFA option that's left on the table. Should be auditioning Lavoie to assess if a 6'4" young guy with an elite shot could be a passable option to help save their limited trade collateral bullets to fortify defending in front of Skinner.

Bold just screams Boone Jenner.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Hamblin at least tries to get to the dirty areas too. Got love for players like him. Brown plays timid as f***.
I thought Brown was supposed to be a sturdier version of Yams. Tenacious, aggressive, no fear. But he's so slow and mopey out there he just ends up bumbling every opportunity he gets. He doesnt disrupt anything on the forecheck because he's so soft and awkard skating out there

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
He would be amazing. I think C-Bus will now minimize their deal making until off-season with a new GM who can assess and begin to reshape the roster. Jenner has said he wants to stay. I think Scott Laughton is a viable option.

I don't know much about Laughton personally. Jenner would be the ideal 3C that you described imo

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't know much about Laughton personally. Jenner would be the ideal 3C that you described imo
High character, leader. Plays tough opposition and top forward minutes on NHL #2 PK. Player type made for playoff hockey. A bit of offensive ability to get some second unit work that wouldn't be needed here. Centre/wing versatility. Getting crushed with 6% shooting this year on a 9-10% career average. Oilers need to be much harder to play against with their bottom six.

Jenner would be perfect. But don't see him or any big pieces moving out of C-Bus till off-season.

Reactions: McAsuno

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad