Post-Game Talk: Oilers took a working vacation too

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I thought Brown was supposed to be a sturdier version of Yams. Tenacious, aggressive, no fear. But he's so slow and mopey out there he just ends up bumbling every opportunity he gets. He doesnt disrupt anything on the forecheck because he's so soft and awkard skating out there

He just looks so lost on the offensive end of the game on a regular basis. If he's not flubbing passes or scoring chances, he gets in the way of his line-mates when they have the puck on their stick. I've noticed it so much this season. As a fan, I personally gave him some leeway since he came back from injury and was adjusting to a new team, but there should be no excuses why he can't score at this point on in the season. I always said it, but its hockey 101 basis to simplify your game, crash the net, and get that greasy hard earned goal. Especially if a guy like him is clearly gripping the stick too hard when he attempts to shoot it. Brown hasn't shown that willingness to dig in the dirty areas to get that goal which I find frustrating the most since I thought he was that kind of player (bolded) you mentioned.

High character, leader. Plays tough opposition and top forward minutes on NHL #2 PK. Player type made for playoff hockey. A bit of offensive ability to get some second unit work that wouldn't be needed here. Centre/wing versatility. Getting crushed with 6% shooting this year on a 9-10% career average. Oilers need to be much harder to play against with their bottom six.

Jenner would be perfect. But don't see him or any big pieces moving out of C-Bus till off-season.

My analytic friends don't seem too fond of him but sounds like a fine player. Still think our top four needs an upgrade over Ceci though as one of the first primary moves.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
4th liners aren’t really there to score. They’re there to not get scored on. Our 2nd line and 3rd lines aren’t doing enough
Well then I guess it’s a good thing that Brown and Janmark are both positive players…oh they aren’t? They aren’t there to score sure. But your entire 4th line having 5 total goals 50 games in, is a bad 4th line. Good teams get production from their 4th line. not a ton, but more than pretty much nothing.

Reactions: McAsuno

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Well then I guess it’s a good thing that Brown and Janmark are both positive players…oh they aren’t? They aren’t there to score sure. But your entire 4th line having 5 total goals 50 games in, is a bad 4th line. Good teams get production from their 4th line. not a ton, but more than pretty much nothing.

Exactly. Nobody expects the 4th line to score every game, but for an NHL team to be successful especially in the playoffs, they have to chip in offensively. No if's and's or but's.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Exactly. Nobody expects the 4th line to score every game, but for an NHL team to be successful especially in the playoffs, they have to chip in offensively. No if's and's or but's.
Or actually be a shutdown or energy line. Our 4th line is a net negative 5v5. That’s A problem. Our 3rd line being full of guys who are mostly invisible unless getting top 6 line is a huge problem too.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
He just looks so lost on the offensive end of the game on a regular basis. If he's not flubbing passes or scoring chances, he gets in the way of his line-mates when they have the puck on their stick. I've noticed it so much this season. As a fan, I personally gave him some leeway since he came back from injury and was adjusting to a new team, but there should be no excuses why he can't score at this point on in the season. I always said it, but its hockey 101 basis to simplify your game, crash the net, and get that greasy hard earned goal. Especially if a guy like him is clearly gripping the stick too hard when he attempts to shoot it. Brown hasn't shown that willingness to dig in the dirty areas to get that goal which I find frustrating the most since I thought he was that kind of player (bolded) you mentioned.

My analytic friends don't seem too fond of him but sounds like a fine player. Still think our top four needs an upgrade over Ceci though as one of the first primary moves.
I did a pretty deep dive on the guy in the Rumours Thread. He has substantively heavy weighted own zone starts and defensive zone toi at top percentile in the league. Top forward minutes on the league's #2 PK. TOI is down 3+ minutes from last year with Couturier's return with the offensive time now gone. Very targeted in his deployment. Older player (age 30) on team transitioning to young and rebuild. Would be a really quality fit to help the Oilers have a hard game 3C so important to playoff style hockey.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Or actually be a shutdown or energy line. Our 4th line is a net negative 5v5. That’s A problem. Our 3rd line being full of guys who are mostly invisible unless getting top 6 line is a huge problem too.

I think that's one of my worries for the playoffs too. The lack of depth scoring. Especially when teams will key on McDrai, we need depth to contribute without relying on McDrai

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Trade goalies in the game and we win. Thats it.

Do you actually dispute that?

Unless you have people on ignore multiple posters are agreeing with my point.
100 percent I dispute it. If fans and more importantly the team think that was somehow a mature, winning form of hockey and it was just a goalie situation they are in for a world of hurt if they keep playing that way against actually contenders. The top line got exposed for 3 EV, you said it your self. The pk for another 2 and there just no chance those were all on skinner.

Goal 1 Thomas is left wide open in the slot as the puck first comes from the corner, to in front and then to the wide open guy.
Goal 2 Skinner makes a great pad safe on a redirect and then Neighbours is allowed to pick the puck up walk 5 feet out and fire it.
Goal 3 skinner gets a little outside where he should be, but also aided by his defensmen doing more to interfere with his owin goalie then do anything effective.
Goal 4 I’d like to see the rebound eaten up, but d still allowed a man to walk in all alone and another to just be perfectly wide open.
Goal 5 he has to play the shot there. Knob pulls a brutal coaching move and puts mcdavid on the pk when hes already a black hole defensively, he’s too late and Ceci is tying up the wrong guy, easy direction in.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
100 percent I dispute it. If fans and more importantly the team think that was somehow a mature, winning form of hockey and it was just a goalie situation they are in for a world of hurt if they keep playing that way against actually contenders. The top line got exposed for 3 EV, you said it your self. The pk for another 2 and there just no chance those were all on skinner.

Goal 1 Thomas is left wide open in the slot as the puck first comes from the corner, to in front and then to the wide open guy.
Goal 2 Skinner makes a great pad safe on a redirect and then Neighbours is allowed to pick the puck up walk 5 feet out and fire it.
Goal 3 skinner gets a little outside where he should be, but also aided by his defensmen doing more to interfere with his owin goalie then do anything effective.
Goal 4 I’d like to see the rebound eaten up, but d still allowed a man to walk in all alone and another to just be perfectly wide open.
Goal 5 he has to play the shot there. Knob pulls a brutal coaching move and puts mcdavid on the pk when hes already a black hole defensively, he’s too late and Ceci is tying up the wrong guy, easy direction in.
Leaky team defense and discipline issue. As per game 5-6 Vegas series.

Weakside defending discipline and structure was shitty tonight and wobbling since coming out of the All Star break. Poor netfront coverage and support. Blues also were adept at finding seams and exploiting. Skinner wasn't very good exasperated the situation but Blues exploited a low energy team that failed in its defensive zone structure.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019

Weakside defending discipline and structure was shitty tonight and wobbling since coming out of the All Star break. Poor netfront coverage and support. Blues also were adept at finding seams and exploiting. Skinner wasn't very good exasperated the situation but Blues exploited a low energy team that failed in its defensive zone structure.
Much better said than me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

We are still very much that same team that lost to Vegas in the playoffs and our roster hasn’t improved in the areas needed to address that. I hope Knob spends a lot of time watching the tape of that series so he doesn’t have Woodys same rookie mistakes.

Reactions: Duke74

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
We are still very much that same team that lost to Vegas in the playoffs and our roster hasn’t improved in the areas needed to address that. I hope Knob spends a lot of time watching the tape of that series so he doesn’t have Woodys same rookie mistakes.
I'll give them more runway to see if they can stabilize their own zone defending. But this road trip will make clearer where this team is at. I fully believe they need to fortify their team defense around Skinner. Top 4RD and a quality 3C. Adding a 6th forward does nothing if this team can't defend against elite teams in the second season when games tighten and become harder.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Hopefully Holland is watching and realizing his team needs a shot in the arm
Yet Vancouver hasn’t hesitated to do what the Oilers should be doing, bringing in players that will strengthen the team! They brought in players like DeSmith, Cole, Soucy in the off season and now have traded for the likes of Zadorov and Lindholm while the Oilers have done nothing! Vancouver is going for it all in and the Oilers wait with bated breath for Connor Brown’s first goal !! 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
They
Yet Vancouver hasn’t hesitated to do what the Oilers should be doing, bringing in players that will strengthen the team! They brought in players like DeSmith, Cole, Soucy in the off season and now have traded for the likes of Zadorov and Lindholm while the Oilers have done nothing! Vancouver is going for it all in and the Oilers wait with bated breath for Connor Brown’s first goal !! 🤦🏻‍♂️🙄
They also have zero hesitation in dumping players that don’t help or causing cap issues. They don’t care if the player is “liked”

Reactions: CycloneSweep

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I hate to say this but think about who lobbied hard to get Connor Brown here. Then think about who lobbied hard so that Foegele could get a new contract (and overpay) here.

Its Captain Connor McDavid. I even linked an article couple days ago where McD is saying he really wanted the Oilers to keep Foegele because he really fits in on and OFF the ice. he actually said that.

McD was lobbying for the team to get Brown last two offseasons.

Unfortunately a small part of the baggage of having Connor McDavid is giving in to his playthings being around. imo a Captain shouldn't be doing that, and the team shouldn't be listening.
I think that’s a Holland thing he created more than a McDavid thing. How many times has Holland said “I went to the leadership group”. Like who cares what the leadership group wants- make the team better

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Both defenders and forwards were at fault, bad crease management by D, and forwards were shocking with lack of taking a man and wrapping up a stick.

Team has been pretty good at this since Knoblauch took over, hope it’s a blip. Gotta work to win in this league.

Reactions: RegDunlop

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
Oilers did not deserve to win but the penalty discrepancy at this point is nearing conspiracy theory territory. Oilers near dead last in pps, 7 straight called against them is pathetic. wtf is going on?

When does Draisaitl start playing well?
Beware drivesails bat signal just went off lol

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Trade goalies in the game and we win. Thats it.

Do you actually dispute that?

Unless you have people on ignore multiple posters are agreeing with my point.
Change D play and we win. Just a terrible night defending from their blue line to our goal line. Our #1 unit ( forward & D) had a poor outing. McD 2nd star at -2, give me a break.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Mini-slump now but that's to be expected after 16 straight wins.

Here's my problem with this game: McDavid, I thought, was great in all areas, but the other top-line guys on the ice were so bad defensively --- Nuge and Hyman. Connor was out there hitting guys in the D-zone, breaking up 2-on-1's, and the other two were lollygagging the whole night in their own zone (and, as usual, defensive zone faceoff losses by Nuge leading to goals). Nuge and Hyman need to bear down defensively a lot more.

The opening shift in period 1, and the opening shift in period 2, were complete disasters. Nuge and Hyman take a lot of the blame for that.

Reactions: Messrules11

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Extra forwards would have been no help tonight. Our top line got owned tonight.. no tarasenko or guentzel would've made us win this game.
Lots of - players tonight

Team as a whole played like shit defensively. The officials didn't help either with the penalties against in both the 2nd and 3rd period after the Perry scuffle with Scandella.
6 straight pp?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
This was legitimately one of Connor Brown's best games. Good jump, two solid scoring chances with a crossbar and wide. Unfortunately his work was blunted somewhat with a stupid penalty 200 feet from his net. Trouble is this player is trying to dig himself out of a forty foot hole.

Oilers need a cornerstone 3C to 'captain' this team's bottom six and stabilize their defending and pk support. Line 4 isn't big enough and need some size. This Oilers group depth doesn't match up to deep playoff competitors. And behind them, the Oilers have the greatest unknown in net with a second year guy working to build his consistency required as the last line of defense for legitimate Cup teams. Can Skinner elevate? Maybe. Could he struggle? Maybe. That's a pretty important area to have as a highly variable risk factor.

Priority and their better assets have to be utilized to strengthen this team's team defending. 3C and top 4RD upgrade. The can look at 2RW after that with a passable UFA option that's left on the table. Should be auditioning Lavoie to assess if a 6'4" young guy with an elite shot could be a passable option to help save their limited trade collateral bullets to fortify defending in front of Skinner.
Agree. It's criminal Lavoie doesn't get a look. While Perry scored, he is looking his age trying to get around the ice.

Boone Jenner would be a god send.

Reactions: BudBundy

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
A team that has Connor McDavid not being among the top of the league for getting powerplays is a f***ing joke. f*** this league.
Too many of our forwards are perimeter players. Besides Hyman and maybe Kane (plus now Perry), our wingers are content to be boxed out. No opponents get pushed or pulled out of position. Nobody is ever having to hook or hold us to defend. Nuge, and Foegele are most guilty of this. I see some signs of Holloway and McLoed getting after it a bit more, but them too. Connor Brown has no idea what he’s doing anywhere. We aren’t getting past the structured teams like Vegas and LA without more guys that force the issue physically when they don’t have the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad