Post-Game Talk: Oilers took a working vacation too

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
True
Drais slew foot, Ceci's slash to break stick, and even Holloway's xcheck, although suspect, we're all stupid and unnecessary. Sniper Brown with a dumb one and Vinny's tantrum all contributed to the shit performance. Elite teams nip these things in the bud. Let's see if we clean up our act.

Yup.. Will definitely be an interesting game tomorrow.

It will tell me more about the team than last nights game as those happen once in awhile. It's the response that interests me and how they carry themselves after. They lost their shit. Get it back and keep it.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Too many of our forwards are perimeter players. Besides Hyman and maybe Kane (plus now Perry), our wingers are content to be boxed out. No opponents get pushed or pulled out of position. Nobody is ever having to hook or hold us to defend. Nuge, and Foegele are most guilty of this. I see some signs of Holloway and McLoed getting after it a bit more, but them too. Connor Brown has no idea what he’s doing anywhere. We aren’t getting past the structured teams like Vegas and LA without more guys that force the issue physically when they don’t have the puck.
Thank you, this exactly. The Oilers forwards do not draw enough penalties, why would you bother even touching some of the bottom six? You know they most likely won’t score, and you know if you give the Oilers powerplays they likely will. The top six need to be harder to play against and yes Mcdavid deserves more calls. Teams would also talk about that before hand and keep each other in check, you know if you parade to the box in the Oil you will most likely lose.

Defensively we have too many guys, including forwards who get so out of position that the recovery for that is a penalty.

The Oilers don’t need a conspiracy against them to have a bad penalty differential, the flawed makeup of the team that most of us talk about is the major cause.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I think one solution to their lack of depth scoring can be running three strong lines with McDavid, Drai, and Nuge all down the middle. Oilers should play to their strengths, and one of their strengths is the center position. You need at least three strong lines in the playoffs, all of which have complementary skillsets. Something like this may work:

Kane-McDavid-Holloway
McLeod-Draisaitl-Foegele
Hyman-RNH-Perry

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Trash f***ing league with trash ass officials under a trash NHL commissioner.
I 100% believe the shit with sports betting affecting how a game is dictated.
Yet we have posters that talk constantly about their sport betting and encourage the same while its wrecking pro sports.

Betting and competitive sports never coexist well together and match fixing soon enters the picture.

The thing is gambling and betting are bad ideas for most people, but in those cases they ruin things for themselves and family. They don't impact others as much.

Sports betting ruins pro sporting endeavor for EVERYBODY, everyfan, that would rather have some sanctity of result.

So PLEASE stop sports betting. Don't do it. You'll wreck the pro sports you love.

Betting on sports is the worst.

Reactions: McAsuno

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup.. Will definitely be an interesting game tomorrow.

It will tell me more about the team than last nights game as those happen once in awhile. It's the response that interests me and how they carry themselves after. They lost their shit. Get it back and keep it.
Team has already struggled to respond after win streak was snapped. 3 losses since. Indication that its a longer path back rather than shorter one.

Suspect as well is that the Oilers throughout season have been one of the healthiest teams around. Having almost all of their players available every game and not injured or out for any circumstance. Most teams around the league of course face this challenge that the Oilers are not.

One wonders what any attrition adversity would do to the team. This is our all in roster complement and the team is finding ways to struggle.

Don't have to say the Oilers this season already had their suck time. They can't afford another doldrum.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
First two goals I think are on RNH, third goal was on Hyman.

That said, man was it ever a night/day difference in terms of how fast Binnington is going laterally and how much second effort he has when he's down, whereas Skinner is painfully slow.
On several plays in the game Skinner *movement* doesn't even give himself a chance at the 2nd save. Whereas other goalies anticipate well, move well, and can make series of stops which Binnington does.

So many posters are blaming the Oilers for allowing rebound chances when thats fairly the norm in the NHL when opponent teams are generating and finding open areas. For about 6weeks our goalies rarely had to deal with this. Everything was being cleaned up, But I've rarely seen a team be able to play that hard for extended stretches. A team at best can play airtight hockey for around 20 games. After that some normative play sets in.

Skinner looks reasonable when everything in front of him is being vacuumed up and he leaves lots of pucks laying around. Its credit to how well the team played in front of him that Skinner was sporting good stats for awhile. But he was having very little to do and first stops only. Rarely sequences of stops.

Where Skinner starts to get solved, and we've seen this so many times is against playoff caliber clubs that can create, make plays, cycle, move the puck around.

The trouble is Skinner is the one directing rebounds to the worst areas and then being surprised when some of them get pumped in. Because he's not even getting in position or making it possible for him to stop the rebound.

After the 5th goal, on the next Blues chance Skinner makes a stop and leaves a juicy rebound and just sits there. He doesn't get up. For several seconds. Somehow no blue is around to tuck it home. It was inexplicable, and like Skinner was again broken. The latter is concerning is any playoff team will work to do that to Skinner. We need a legit starter if we're doing anything in playoffs.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It doesn't matter who we get anywhere

Can you trust this team to keep playing a structured game? They did it for an extended streak and just stopped now

Thats all discipline and hustling. Physically hustling to your spots stops a few goals every game that have gone in.

If they are not going to consistently buy in, the deadline is going to mean Jack
So far after the break, they have been frauds

Liked Vegas game, but this team is a perimeter team that usually refuses to shoot.

Streaky team. Better hope they streak starting the playoffs because they look bad when they streak the other way team is way too hot and cold

Contenders don't do that

3 games against better teams post all star break and three losses
Every club has stretches of bad games. Dangerous clubs that are serious contenders have quality goaltending that saves them in games and times when they are not bringing their premium game. With the Oilers if they are not at their A game they lose.

I've seen top teams around the league win a lot of games they have no business winning.

A team gets rewarded playing a structured game by having success and getting on a roll with it. When that success is broken it can become a struggle. Moreso when a team, for instance LA, also lacks quality goaltending. When teams in a struggle take a dive have old or questionable goaltending it magnifies the result.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers are 2-3 since all star break. Not great but it’s hardly doomsday.
The two games we won are against teams that probably miss playoffs. For sure Detroit will if they play this poorly. We even had trouble against Anaheim.

Even against the two weaker clubs in the 5 game stretch we were behind and started poorly. The bad habits seem to have sunk in a bit.

The rest of the month is mostly hard schedule. The rest of the season is compressed schedule where the Oilers have a lot of games, and very little rest. On a club where a few players are carrying the team this is a possible concern. Oilers are making the playoffs but not sure how good we look doing that.

Reality is the team is still mired firmly in 3rd place and not far from WC spots. The Oilers on the whole this season have not given themselves leeway to go into a traditional mid season slump.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The two games we won are against teams that probably miss playoffs. For sure Detroit will if they play this poorly. We even had trouble against Anaheim.

Even against the two weaker clubs in the 5 game stretch we were behind and started poorly. The bad habits seem to have sunk in a bit.

The rest of the month is mostly hard schedule. The rest of the season is compressed schedule where the Oilers have a lot of games, and very little rest. On a club where a few players are carrying the team this is a possible concern. Oilers are making the playoffs but not sure how good we look doing that.

Reality is the team is still mired firmly in 3rd place and not far from WC spots. The Oilers on the whole this season have not given themselves leeway to go into a traditional mid season slump.
Detroit is in the same spot as the blues are. Yes the 2 playoff teams beat us oooooh season over. Vegas game could have gone either way.

This is classic HF overreaction.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Detroit is in the same spot as the blues are. Yes the 2 playoff teams beat us oooooh season over. Vegas game could have gone either way.

This is classic HF overreaction.
Detroit played an absolute shit game and its a team that went from a hard working bunch that changed identity by adding Kane, Debrincat etc. You got a lot of guys on that team just looking for goals and doing nothing else. The play by Debrincat (or lack of any) on the Holloway goal was disgusting, but typical of that tosser. I would never have him anywhere near my club.

Detroit is only in the convo because they can score and have a lot of guys that can. But they don't defend well at all. Kane is at the stage of game where he's terrible at it and doesn't have people like Duncan Keith in prime saving him.

The Detroit team was maybe even harmed with some of these "star" additions. That club is playing with no discernible identify. A club that doesn't know what it is.

But again I'm saying we make playoffs. Just that we don't really know what this club is. This is a team that has been both terrible and great in the same season and is now looking lukewarm. Fact of the matter is we have several players that shouldn't even be associated with a contending team and won't contribute much towards that result.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
5 games ago we held the Knights to 2 goals. The defence was still doing its thing for the most part. After the streak died it feels like the team took this as an opportunity to get some cookies. A shift in mental focus from being tight defensively at all costs… to thinking they could cheat it and sprinkle in some stamina saving for more offensive points.

Can the team get back to its Knob hockey ways? They better be able to. And with the long stretch we saw of Knob hockey I think they can.

The problem then becomes sticking to the defensive mindset and still producing. I’ve often thought about offensive zone creation and what can be done. But for the most part it probably comes down to just Skill. Lots of coaches seem laissez faire when it comes to the o-zone… relaying on just “execute better” as the mantra. This is why we need an offensive upgrade at the TDL. And preferably someone with enough offensive IQ and skill where they can make plays happen on an individual level like we see from our best offensive players like McD, Drai, Hymen, Kane(when he wants to). The most realistic path to success will be a refocus on Knob hockey and to add some much needed skill to the forward lines. Thirst for Tarasenko increases.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Detroit played an absolute shit game and its a team that went from a hard working bunch that changed identity by adding Kane, Debrincat etc. You got a lot of guys on that team just looking for goals and doing nothing else. The play by Debrincat (or lack of any) on the Holloway goal was disgusting, but typical of that tosser. I would never have him anywhere near my club.

Detroit is only in the convo because they can score and have a lot of guys that can. But they don't defend well at all. Kane is at the stage of game where he's terrible at it and doesn't have people like Duncan Keith in prime saving him.

The Detroit team was maybe even harmed with some of these "star" additions. That club is playing with no discernible identify. A club that doesn't know what it is.

But again I'm saying we make playoffs. Just that we don't really know what this club is. This is a team that has been both terrible and great in the same season and is now looking lukewarm. Fact of the matter is we have several players that shouldn't even be associated with a contending team and won't contribute much towards that result.
I love the hoops you jump through to discredit a win. Anyways the Oilers will bounce back and the usual suspects will go quiet. Being lukewarm for 5 games after nearly having the longest winning streak of all time is not the end of the world.

Oilers have some holes for sure but I think a few of them get addressed between now and the TDL. Oilers went what 25-5? And now after 5 mediocre games we’re back to being dog shit? The recency bs here is hilarious.

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
5 games ago we held the Knights to 2 goals. The defence was still doing its thing for the most part. After the streak died it feels like the team took this as an opportunity to get some cookies. A shift in mental focus from being tight defensively at all costs… to thinking they could cheat it and sprinkle in some stamina saving for more offensive points.

Can the team get back to its Knob hockey ways? They better be able to. And with the long stretch we saw of Knob hockey I think they can.

The problem then becomes sticking to the defensive mindset and still producing. I’ve often thought about offensive zone creation and what can be done. But for the most part it probably comes down to just Skill. Lots of coaches seem laissez faire when it comes to the o-zone… relaying on just “execute better” as the mantra. This is why we need an offensive upgrade at the TDL. And preferably someone with enough offensive IQ and skill where can make plays happen on an individual level like we see from our best offensive players like McD, Drai, Hymen, Kane(when he wants to). The most realistic path to success will be a refocus on Knob hockey and to add some much needed skill to the forward lines. Thirst for Tarasenko increases.

Granted that's a Vegas team that was missing Eichel and Theodore (he can generate some offensive chances also).

The next 5 games should tell us if this team actually wants to adhere to any kind of defensive system or if that was just a coaching bump flash in the pan.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Granted that's a Vegas team that was missing Eichel and Theodore (he can generate some offensive chances also) though.

The next 5 games should tell us if this team actually wants to adhere to any kind of defensive system or if that was just a coaching bump flash in the pan.

I’ve never seen a coaching bump last 20-30 games. So I can’t buy that theory. See the breakdowns that have cost us, and it’s within our ability to prevent them. Lapses in focus and effort to get to the right spots defensively should be fixable.

Reactions: Mav3rick07 and TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The problem then becomes sticking to the defensive mindset and still producing. I’ve often thought about offensive zone creation and what can be done. But for the most part it probably comes down to just Skill. Lots of coaches seem laissez faire when it comes to the o-zone… relaying on just “execute better” as the mantra. This is why we need an offensive upgrade at the TDL. And preferably someone with enough offensive IQ and skill where they can make plays happen on an individual level like we see from our best offensive players like McD, Drai, Hymen, Kane(when he wants to). The most realistic path to success will be a refocus on Knob hockey and to add some much needed skill to the forward lines. Thirst for Tarasenko increases.
People get thrilled when theres a game when the team pumps in a shitload of goals but such games can often be counterproductive. The Oilers did not defend well in that game and were not as good at preventing chances but were rewarded handsomely for it. McD particularly smiling as everything in that game turned to gold, comes back the next game plays loose, first line is horrible and give up the first 3 EVGA. Like its gonna be easy because it was against Detroit.

I resist the impulse to question star players too much but our star players should know better by now.

Stars are another club that can score. We'll see what we got against them.

I don't agree with you at all that what the team is missing is more offensive players.

We don't have anythign resembling a shutdown line or a premium goalie. A defensive Center and a goalie, that would be my shopping list.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I’ve never seen a coaching bump last 20-30 games. So I can’t buy that theory. See the breakdowns that have cost us, and it’s within our ability to prevent them. Lapses in focus and effort to get to the right spots defensively should be fixable.

The goals against dropped when Woodcroft first took over the team for his first 25 games or so too. And then they basically stopped even trying to play any defense in that Calgary series especially and Woodcroft was never able to reign it back in.

If Knoblaugh doesn't want to be the next coaching roadkill here, he has to prove that he can reign this team back in and get them to commit to a better defensive system.

Because they did do a similar thing when Woodcroft first came here ... the GA dropped initially, then sure enough slowly but surely it started to creep back up even in the playoffs that year, then was bad the following season, bad in the playoffs 2023, and then just hit an irredeemable collapse to start this season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I love the hoops you jump through to discredit a win. Anyways the Oilers will bounce back and the usual suspects will go quiet. Being lukewarm for 5 games after nearly having the longest winning streak of all time is not the end of the world.

Oilers have some holes for sure but I think a few of them get addressed between now and the TDL. Oilers went what 25-5? And now after 5 mediocre games we’re back to being dog shit? The recency bs here is hilarious.
The W streak was predicated on desperation of a couple of the best players on Earth to row the club back into the race so that it isn't a completely wasted season.

Yeah, you don't get to paint me as gloom and doom. I was one of the few posters here that thought a coaching reset could change the season around.

But still, as you mention the team has a lot of holes. Unlike you I don't know how they get addressed with limited capspace.

In anycase the Oilers lost last night and got hammered. Its not like any of us are making these comments after a W.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Team has already struggled to respond after win streak was snapped. 3 losses since. Indication that its a longer path back rather than shorter one.

Suspect as well is that the Oilers throughout season have been one of the healthiest teams around. Having almost all of their players available every game and not injured or out for any circumstance. Most teams around the league of course face this challenge that the Oilers are not.

One wonders what any attrition adversity would do to the team. This is our all in roster complement and the team is finding ways to struggle.

Don't have to say the Oilers this season already had their suck time. They can't afford another doldrum.

Yah it's not looking good if we're being honest.

5 games back from the all star break and they've given up 20 goals against. They may have lost the secret recipe.... Again. ugh.

I'm still not of the mind some trade is going to really change anything other than provide an emotional boast. They could do another run like last year post deadline but it's still a matter of time before complacency sets in. It's a vicious cycle with this team.

Whether it's urgency from losses, or emotional boosts from fired coaches and trade acquisition. It always seems to be a matter of time before they become complacent and their game goes to absolute shit. Goalies start goalie'ing them, discipline goes away and penalties pile up, defensive game gets lost.

They don't play well unless
1. they're guilty/urgent from losses. They start seasons slow and series slow.
2. Their coach got shit canned.
3. A trade was made.

There's just no accountability and pride in that locker room to take the game to the opponent and start positive. It's always negative to urgency to positive. You really have to appreciate a team like Boston who sets standards and don't put up with the bullshit hot cold.. here for a game gone for a game crap this team does.

It will be the end of the in the playoffs again. It's the Oilers.. first one is free because we don't bring our A game until we've been punched in the face. And any sort of success leads to complacency.

If I didn't think the team was so stacked I'd be ok. But taking the year as whole into account. Thumbs down boys... thumbs f***ing down.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The W streak was predicated on desperation of a couple of the best players on Earth to row the club back into the race so that it isn't a completely wasted season.

Yeah, you don't get to paint me as gloom and doom. I was one of the few posters here that thought a coaching reset could change the season around.

But still, as you mention the team has a lot of holes. Unlike you I don't know how they get addressed with limited capspace.

In anycase the Oilers lost last night and got hammered. It’s not like any of us are making these comments after a W.
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think one solution to their lack of depth scoring can be running three strong lines with McDavid, Drai, and Nuge all down the middle. Oilers should play to their strengths, and one of their strengths is the center position. You need at least three strong lines in the playoffs, all of which have complementary skillsets. Something like this may work:

Kane-McDavid-Holloway
McLeod-Draisaitl-Foegele
Hyman-RNH-Perry
I always thought the Oilers should go with 4 duos. It essentially makes every line almost equal and can play them against any of the opposing teams lines. We would need to add a top six winger to make this work but I'd have my duos like this;

Mcdavid-Kane
Draisaitl- deadline add
RNH-Hyman
Mcleod-Foegele

Or get a 4th line right shot C and put Mcleod with Draisaitl.

Reactions: Duke74

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I can't even get pumped for this team with how bad they lapse. I feel liek you could add 2/3 great players to it and they will still pull this sh**

and F*** these refs

How is what happened even possible.

How much $$ idd they have on STL tonight?

Not like we say anything anyways
Tim Peel lives in St Louis. He must have had the boys over for dinner the day earlier and explained to them “how to do it”.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The goals against dropped when Woodcroft first took over the team for his first 25 games or so too. And then they basically stopped even trying to play any defense in that Calgary series especially and Woodcroft was never able to reign it back in.

If Knoblaugh doesn't want to be the next coaching roadkill here, he has to prove that he can reign this team back in and get them to commit to a better defensive system.

Because they did do a similar thing when Woodcroft first came here ... the GA dropped initially, then sure enough slowly but surely it started to creep back up even in the playoffs that year, then was bad the following season, bad in the playoffs 2023, and then just hit an irredeemable collapse to start this season.

The team did start playing better under Woody than they did under Tippet. But it was moreso their overall game that was improved was my impression versus some wholesale defensive zone makeover that we’ve seen under Knob. We started scoring more and letting less in under Woody but it seemed more a reflection of Woody getting more out of the players in all aspects of the game. I don’t think in any time under Woody we’ve seen as good of a defensive game than we’ve seen under Knob. The peak of that game much higher than it’s ever been. But yeh, it’s now time for Knob to prove this can be sustainable moving forward. Since it comes down to a wholesale change in the system, I’m hopeful it’ll happen.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So on a positive note I was looking back at Zach Hyman and his refusal to play or sign in Florida, the club that had drafted him. Its funny as well that he wasn't thrilled even about getting drafted and wanted instead to complete his studies. Ken Dryden, a Cornell collegiate studying to be a Lawyer had the same mixed feelings. Its kind of refreshing to see players that are total successes not just in sports but could do anything.

The other refreshing thing is Zach Hyman refusal to play in Florida and then goes onto play his whole career in Canada. A throwback and rarity in todays NHL a player that refuses warm non hockey like places for the purity of playing in Canada.

Just another reason among many to adore Zach Hyman.

Reactions: mcdingdong and bone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad