TSN: Oilers sign UDFA Colin Larkin

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
HAHA Hilarious. Mock just to mock. PC won a cup in the cap era with 9 playoff seasons. Something that a lot of GMs haven't accomplished. PC doesn't have a history of giving max bonuses to college free agents. These boards are full of meaningless crap and you're adding to it.
I see we have now found Chia's 2nd supporter

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Meh, will provide some support to our AHL team I suppose. Anybody know if he's got speed to burn like his younger brother?

Metamind

Jun 28, 2012
Way to go chia, exactly what this team needs, more Drake Caggiula and Matt Benning’s

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not that I'm against signing players. But I would like to see some of our prospects get a taste of the NHL

I'm a believer in that, just because you're not finding success in the AHL doesn't mean you won't succeed in the NHL

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Way to go chia, exactly what this team needs, more Drake Caggiula and Matt Benning’s

Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but I would love if this was another Cagguila or Benning lol. Benning had 1 good season in the NHL right out of school and 1 poor season. This is a sophomore pro lol. Cagguila has shown flashes of upside and been a staple in the NHL from the get go. Ideally hes on a 4th line, but hes a adequate depth player with upside. Cagguila was one of the best NCAA players when we signed him and highly, highly sought after

Colin Larkin looks more like an Andrew Miller than a Cagguila. If hes playing in the AHL in2 years id be impressed. Nothing against the signing or the player, but dudes a 24 year old Div 3 player. The odds are stacked against him

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think people underestimate how good the AHL is. Going from div 3 NCAA to AHL hockey is a MASSIVE jump.

This

Look at our past NCAA FAs and how they are doing now. Most of those guys were top players on their NCAA Div 1 teams

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Not sure if this is sarcastic or not, but I would love if this was another Cagguila or Benning lol. Benning had 1 good season in the NHL right out of school and 1 poor season. This is a sophomore pro lol. Cagguila has shown flashes of upside and been a staple in the NHL from the get go. Ideally hes on a 4th line, but hes a adequate depth player with upside. Cagguila was one of the best NCAA players when we signed him and highly, highly sought after

Colin Larkin looks more like an Andrew Miller than a Cagguila. If hes playing in the AHL in2 years id be impressed. Nothing against the signing or the player, but dudes a 24 year old Div 3 player. The odds are stacked against him

Hey, don't disrespect the Drew!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This

Look at our past NCAA FAs and how they are doing now. Most of those guys were top players on their NCAA Div 1 teams
Yep. Gambardella put up great numbers in his last NCAA year. 52 in 42 games.

Since he has put up 15 points in 40 AHL games.

This guy will be a 4th liner/healthy scratch/ECHL tweener most likely.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Meh. Can't be any more of a waste of contract than guys like Brian Ferlin or Braden Christoffer.

Maybe they get lucky and get a decent AHLer out of it.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Larkin signed an ATO with Bakersfield and looks like he'll join them for the rest of the season.

Bakersfield also signed Logan Day. 6'1'' 210lbs right-handed defenseman from Endicott College(also Div. 3). He was second in defensemen scoring in Div.3 with 38 points in 26 games.

hjghkabsdkc

Nov 17, 2017

Andrew Miller was > 1ppg in the NCAA too. This dude is such a long shot. Atta be to his agent for securing an NHL deal but as a fan this is a classic Chia death-by-a-thousand-cuts move.

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Speaking of all things Larkin, what happened to Dylan? He seems to have stalled somewhat, only 9 goals in 65 games compared to 23 goals in his rookie year. It seems like he's stagnated a bit after a hot start to his NHL career.

You don't suppose Detroit *gasp* RUSHED HIS DEVELOPMENT?? *MINOR KEY* lol

Perhaps they should've followed their own "over-ripen" advice in this case, he might be a better player for it now.

His rookie season he played almost exclusively wing with Zetterberg. The past 2 seasons he's been centering the 2nd line.

Reactions: Digger12

North

Jun 25, 2009
He signed a PTO with Bakersfield and to put people's minds at ease, another div 3 player (Logan Day) signed a PTO with Bakersfield but he doesn't have an NHL deal with the Oilers.

Apparently they're not just randomly giving out NHL contracts.

Reactions: McHockeyfan91

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
some people re crying about this? lol

I cant say I have to familiar with how these type of NHL contracts work. But if he counts towards the 50 man roster or takes up a limited contract spot, I could see why this NHL contract might be a slight issue. Its a small, small, small problem (if any) only because hes a Div 3 player whos a long shots long shot. If hes taking up a contract spot, id rather just give it to a WHL overager whos tearing it up. If the NHL contract doesn't take up any limited spots, I have no issue. More depth in the AHL

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I cant say I have to familiar with how these type of NHL contracts work. But if he counts towards the 50 man roster or takes up a limited contract spot, I could see why this NHL contract might be a slight issue. Its a small, small, small problem (if any) only because hes a Div 3 player whos a long shots long shot. If hes taking up a contract spot, id rather just give it to a WHL overager whos tearing it up. If the NHL contract doesn't take up any limited spots, I have no issue. More depth in the AHL
according to cap friendly we are at 46 contracts...we are fine

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
His contract doesn't kick in until next season. It's not even an issue because of how many contracts are going to be off the books.

Possibly not, but if Chia goes out and sign 8 or 9 career AHLers to NHL deals on July 1st again, it does matter. It's unbelievable that this team was so close to the 50-man limit while not having a single viable option to bring up from the minors, particularly at forward. Just imagine if we had actually injury issues this year rather than the imaginary issues people try to blame this season on. Imagine 30 games of Rattie, Malone, Currie or Laleggia. We'd definitely be in the run for a top 5 pick even without winning the lottery.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad