TSN: Oilers sign UDFA Colin Larkin

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Reports: Oilers sign UDFA Larkin for 2018-19 - Article - TSN

"According to multiple reports, the Edmonton Oilers have signed undrafted free agent Colin Larkin to a one-year contract for the 2018-19 season on Sunday. Larkin, the older brother of Detroit Red Wings forward Dylan Larkin, posted 24 goals and 46 points as senior at UMass-Boston in the NCAA's Division III this season."

Undrafted college FA. He's already 24, but his college production seems good. Dylan Larkin's brother. Anyone know anything on him? Is he fast like his brother? Any NHL potential here?

Seems he was captain of his team this season, and had an 'A' last season, so probably of good character like Dylan I guess you could infer.

Last edited:

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Can he skate like his younger brother? Also, how many guys come out of Div. III to play in the NHL?

Yeah, I'm not sure how the US College system works, so not sure what Division III means. Is that a high level or lower one? If lower one, I guess this is a possible signing for Bako? I dunno. Well, we do need more skill in Bako and maybe he can help. Might be a decent leader. Guess we'll see.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yep. AHL depth, nothing more. Maybe they're getting Dylan's attention. Offer sheet time...:sarcasm:

Reactions: Dan Kelly

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I'd assume we're seeing the tail end of Keith Gretzky's work in the area.

No clue. Just kind of amusing how Chiarelli traded with Snow/Shero, both NY area GMs and targetted lots of Mass-area college players.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Let's wait to see him in preseason at least before calling this a dumb move. It's probably a nothing move but it's a 1 year deal so hardly crippling to our team.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Apparently there were other teams interested.

Kinda sad to be that desperate for AHL help that you have to use up your NHL contract space on a guy that will never ever play a game in the NHL.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Probably not many, but there’s one player on the other 7 teams who managed to be over a PPG (and only just), and Larkin had 46 points in 27 games, so he absolutely destroyed the league.

Interesting. Shows he doesn't belong in that league and I guess we'll see what he looks like in the A, he could flame out or he could be that diamond in the rough.

Just for giggles I looked this up, some familiar names on the list.
List of undrafted NHL players with 100 games played - Wikipedia

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
Surprised the kid didn't get max bonuses :)

HAHA Hilarious. Mock just to mock. PC won a cup in the cap era with 9 playoff seasons. Something that a lot of GMs haven't accomplished. PC doesn't have a history of giving max bonuses to college free agents. These boards are full of meaningless crap and you're adding to it.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
HAHA Hilarious. Mock just to mock. PC won a cup in the cap era with 9 playoff seasons. Something that a lot of GMs haven't accomplished. PC doesn't have a history of giving max bonuses to college free agents. These boards are full of meaningless crap and you're adding to it.

Chia, is that you? Are you posting here now?

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Speaking of all things Larkin, what happened to Dylan? He seems to have stalled somewhat, only 9 goals in 65 games compared to 23 goals in his rookie year. It seems like he's stagnated a bit after a hot start to his NHL career.

You don't suppose Detroit *gasp* RUSHED HIS DEVELOPMENT?? *MINOR KEY* lol

Perhaps they should've followed their own "over-ripen" advice in this case, he might be a better player for it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad