Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Jesse Joensuu - 2 years, $950k per

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if they have his Jersey at the Oiler store. I see they have a bunch of retros including Lander, Klefbom, Pitlick, Hendricks, Slepyshev, Yakimov, Letustu etc...

Like the Klefbom I can get, but how many of those other guys were even selling jerseys when they played for us :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Remember these dark days?

Opening day lineup:

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gadzic-Acton-Brown

Ference-Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-Belov

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

Fun facts:

- Nuge was still rehabbing his shoulder.
- Gagner was recovering from being slashed in the face by Kassian.
- We had picked in the top 10 overall for 5 years straight. We would make it 6 picking Draisaitl 3rd overall in 2014.
- This team started out 4-14-2 in the month of October.
- By the end of the year 6 goalies played for this team. Dubnyk, LaBarbera, Bachman, Scrivens, Fasth, Bryzgalov.
- I graduated from high school and was in my gap year during this season. The last time the Oilers were in the playoffs, I was in grade 6. They’d make the playoffs again during my junior year of university.

Man those were some dark times.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Opening day lineup:

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gadzic-Acton-Brown

Ference-Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-Belov

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

Fun facts:

- We had picked in the top 10 overall for 5 years straight. We would make it 6 picking Draisaitl 3rd overall in 2014.
- By the end of the year 6 goalies played for this team. Dubnyk, LaBarbera, Bachman, Scrivens, Fasth, Bryzgalov.
- I graduated from high school and was in my gap year during this season. The last time the Oilers were in the playoffs, I was in grade 6. They’d make the playoffs again during my junior year of university.

And yet, we all tuned in to watch every game.

Holy crap we are so spoiled now.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
And yet, we all tuned in to watch every game.

Holy crap we are so spoiled now.

I don't know how I did it. During the entire decade of darkness I watched all 82 games for most of the seasons, and no less than 75 games in 2-3 others.

That is a shit load of f***ing terrible hockey I watched. Almost 1000 games of absolute dog shit hockey.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Opening day lineup:

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gadzic-Acton-Brown

Ference-Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-Belov

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

Fun facts:

I think it’s safe to say that half the general managers in the National Hockey League would trade their roster for our roster right now

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpeg
    IMG_2969.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 4

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Oilers sold out every game that season.

Now that's some committment.

"I think we are visually better than our record"

I went to probably 20 games that year by buying tickets for about $20 each off stubhub.

That price to watch NHL hockey, even if my team was shit, was too good to pass up.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
I went to probably 20 games that year by buying tickets for about $20 each off stubhub.

That price to watch NHL hockey, even if my team was shit, was too good to pass up.

Yeah that’s true, tickets were insanely affordable.

I remember getting tickets right behind the net against the Jets in 2014-15, section 110 row 12, for $60.

My friend and I were doing a drinking game, basically we’d drink each time Schultz “jultzed”. Due to the cocaine beers at Rexall, we were absolutely hammered by half way through the second period.

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Opening day lineup:

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gadzic-Acton-Brown

Ference-Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-Belov

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

Fun facts:

That was a heroic season by David Perron. A shame it was wasted on that team. It's really too bad his time here was during that part of our history. He would be a great addition to our forward core now, but out of our price range

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't know how I did it. During the entire decade of darkness I watched all 82 games for most of the seasons, and no less than 75 games in 2-3 others.

That is a shit load of f***ing terrible hockey I watched. Almost 1000 games of absolute dog shit hockey.
Hemsky was fun to watch for a lot of it

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Opening day lineup:

Smyth-Hall-Hemsky
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Joensuu-Gordon-Yakupov
Gadzic-Acton-Brown

Ference-Schultz
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-Belov

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

Fun facts:

The entirety of my highschool to university career, I never got to have a single sip of a drink while cheering for the team in a play-off game.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The entirety of my highschool to university career, I never got to have a single sip of a drink while cheering for the team in a play-off game.

The decade of darkness spanned my entire prime drinking/partying years including living in various places downtown. Now that they're good I have responsibilities, live in the burbs, and can't fight through a hangover even close to the same way. It's a damn shame.

Reactions: NeverForget06

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Man, we had some insane press conferences in those days. Years later and I’m still getting triggered reading those words, lol.

Out of all the bad press conferences, the one that stuck with me was the one MacT had prior to his last season here as GM. Fielded a question something along the lines of "what expectation have you put on your team to take a step and be a more competitive team this year?" He responded calling it another "building year" and basically removed any expectation that he wanted the team to produce an actual result. Just as the season was starting.

This isn't one of the infamous ones, but I recall being absolutely livid that he couldn't at a minimum say something that at least alludes to higher performance expectations. Nobody was under any illusion that the team was going to actually be good that year, but the fact he basically took everyone off the hook with that answer still makes me mad thinking about it haha.

Reactions: rboomercat90

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The decade of darkness spanned my entire prime drinking/partying years including living in various places downtown. Now that they're good I have responsibilities, live in the burbs, and can't fight through a hangover even close to the same way. It's a damn shame.
We're in the exact same boat. Except, I'm in Calgary. All of those years with the stupid Red Mile and taking shit.

Stupid Oilers.

At least they're the Stupid Sexy Oilers now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Out of all the bad press conferences, the one that stuck with me was the one MacT had prior to his last season here as GM. Fielded a question something along the lines of "what expectation have you put on your team to take a step and be a more competitive team this year?" He responded calling it another "building year" and basically removed any expectation that he wanted the team to produce an actual result. Just as the season was starting.

This isn't one of the infamous ones, but I recall being absolutely livid that he couldn't at a minimum say something that at least alludes to higher performance expectations. Nobody was under any illusion that the team was going to actually be good that year, but the fact he basically took everyone off the hook with that answer still makes me mad thinking about it haha.
They were all bizarre in their own way and it wasn’t just when Mactavish was GM. This started a couple years into Lowe’s time as GM. They used to blur which of the two of them was responsible for what and it was difficult to tell which one deserved the blame for the failings. Anything to avoid accountabilty and that was their organizational blueprint throughout their managerial tenure.

Reactions: brentashton

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think it’s safe to say that half the general managers in the National Hockey League would trade their roster for our roster right now
I just had to go watch the YouTube of that presser again. OMG what an epic “how not to” respond to a press question.

Years ago I took a course on how to interact with the press, (yes they are devious creatures!) as my role caused me to do many print, radio and TV interviews and respond to critical incidents at times. The consultant was a guy that was Joe Clark’s press secretary during his many years in Ottawa. It was before Kevin and Craig’s Excellent Adventure, but that video should be adopted into any media consultants course material and shown to execs as the failure it was. What a memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad