Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Jesse Joensuu - 2 years, $950k per

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I didnt even realize you were replacement. I was like.. who the hell is this drivesaitl guy that thinks he knows everything all of a sudden... son of a...
Yeah I didn’t know either I was like:

IMG_3256.jpeg

Now everything makes sense. Lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thought this was a recent signing and I was gonna be like "who?" Lol
This was more peoples reaction than we care to mention. I got a brief sweat reading it and with us having Drake Caggiulia again how far off was it.

I prefered Hartikainen if we're reminiscing.

Yeah I didn’t know either I was like:

View attachment 728945

Now everything makes sense. Lol
Hopefully I still get the likes. Particularly in music or weather posting that we seem to agree on. I'm a bit more manageable now in my retired "calm" years so don't fret too much. hehe I slid in a music pun.

ps I saw Kiss first time in 77 in I think it was the Love gun tour. Ace smoking guitar, Peters rising drum platform with Cat mural, Paul Stanley prancing around like a hair stylist, Gene Simmons monster, whole bit. Cheap Trick were the back up band. Nice. At one point in time Kiss Alive and Cheap Trick Live at Budokhan were real good selling live albums. Both bands liked it live.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myride and Morpheus

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
This was more peoples reaction than we care to mention. I got a brief sweat reading it and with us having Drake Caggiulia again how far off was it.

I prefered Hartikainen if we're reminiscing.

Hopefully I still get the likes. Particularly in music or weather posting that we seem to agree on. I'm a bit more manageable now in my retired "calm" years so don't fret too much. hehe I slid in a music pun.

ps I saw Kiss first time in 77 in I think it was the Love gun tour. Ace smoking guitar, Peters rising drum platform with Cat mural, Paul Stanley prancing around like a hair stylist, Gene Simmons monster, whole bit. Cheap Trick were the back up band. Nice. At one point in time Kiss Alive and Cheap Trick Live at Budokhan were real good selling live albums. Both bands liked it live.
IMG_3469.jpeg

I’m glad you got to see em then. I wasn’t born yet so I had to wait for the reunion/farewell tour in 98/99

Cheap trick always puts on a killer show as well.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Wayback machine

The links don't work but those are some funny thread titles - Klefbom cut with skate and out with infection, Byfuglien drunk boating, Hall as a Centre, Kings file grievance over Smyth trade

How far we’ve come that we went from trying to convert a winger to center that we’re now having to converts centers to wing… that era was great for building a sense of community around here, but god was it ever painful

Amazing to think there was a me a time when both myself and @Drivesaitl were moderators here lol.

Retirement and the decade of darkness really did a number on our sanities it seems :P

So much like the Oilers of the era, we would take literally whoever would say yes? :D

Wait until I tell you about Tobias Reider and Patrick Russell.

I feel bad for Russell. He wasn’t that bad as a 4th liner. We saw a lot of mediocre to bad players over the years, but he at least stood out positively as a guy who left it all out there trying to live his dream.

In fairness I was recruited into it and was convinced to do it. Plus BBO got tapped on the shoulder at the same time and so that was fun. They figured I had the right kind of take no prisoners approach to be a mod. At the time they seemed to want some hammers to nails, or something. The board was more wild west then, than it is now. Fights would be constant here and go overboard. Moderation was required.

Now matching present times everything wants to be inoffensive and the infractions are now blanket served by anonymous bots so as to avoid any and all controversy. Back in the day you'd give somebody an infraction and they'd be giving you love PM's for the next 3 days and deriding you for a year. lol. For a free gig wasn't worth the aggravation, don't know how Bryan does it.

DSF stopped talking to me after I became a mod. That might be a good thing. ;)

JTS was a mod. I think thats odd too.

I sure don’t miss those. Especially when it was a jackass from another board that couldn’t comprehend what trolling infractions are for.

Some wise words I got from Fugu early on in me being a mod were “watch out for former mods. They know how to push buttons while technically being within rules”. Not naming any names as to who that might have been about :naughty:

I didnt even realize you were replacement. I was like.. who the hell is this drivesaitl guy that thinks he knows everything all of a sudden... son of a...

Hmm. I thought everyone knew that years ago. It was a pretty open secret

I always felt bad for Russell. Good, hard working guy but zero puck luck.

And when he actually did bury one that one time, he got absolutely robbed by a joke of a goalie interference call.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
View attachment 728991

I’m glad you got to see em then. I wasn’t born yet so I had to wait for the reunion/farewell tour in 98/99

Cheap trick always puts on a killer show as well.

The best live show ever! I was supposed to be at the 77 Love Gun show with Cheap Trick. My buddy and I camped out front of Northlands all night and we had Floor Row 1 center stage tickets. Couldn't attend the concert - long story - but was I ever pissed.

For the fall show here I’ll be in the “pit” and backstage pre and post show and then down to Calgary to see them play there. I tried to get tickets to their last show ever in NYC but I was in the Ticketmaster line right at 10AM EST sharp and was something like 10,000th in line so won’t happen.

Some pics from the pit in Ottawa. Can’t wait for the 2 shows in November!

IMG_2821.jpeg
IMG_2836.jpeg
IMG_2928.jpeg
IMG_0471.jpeg
IMG_3049.jpeg
IMG_2854.jpeg

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The best live show ever! I was supposed to be at the 77 Love Gun show with Cheap Trick. My buddy and I camped out front of Northlands all night and we had Floor Row 1 center stage tickets. Couldn't attend the concert - long story - but was I ever pissed.

For the fall show here I’ll be in the “pit” and backstage pre and post show and then down to Calgary to see them play there. I tried to get tickets to their last show ever in NYC but I was in the Ticketmaster line right at 10AM EST sharp and was something like 10,000th in line so won’t happen.

Some pics from the pit in Ottawa. Can’t wait for the 2 shows in November!

View attachment 729107View attachment 729108View attachment 729109View attachment 729110View attachment 729112View attachment 729113

Love KISS-lol. I remember being about 6 or 7 listening to my sister's records of them. She had (maybe still has?) Alive II on vinyl and the only reason I listened to them was Gene's facepaint scared me so I figured they must be good haha.

Saw them in Saskatoon in November of '09, got floor seats so was pretty excited for that. Because Shannon Tweed grew up in Saskatoon, she was there too and my sister and nephew met her in a chance encounter on the concourse inside Sask Place or whatever it's called now.

Buckcherry opened for them, who are pretty good live in their own rite. Funniest part of the concert though, they sprung into "Let Me Go Rock n Roll" and they're playing the intro and being familiar with the song, the intro ended where the first verse was to begin with Gene taking lead. Instead, he keeps strumming away on the bass working the crowd and Paul is staring him down like he's thinking "Are you gonna go f***ing sing or what?". Gene catches his stare and you can see the "Oh shit" look on his face so they wind through an impromptu extended intro of the song and Gene finally steps to the mic and sings-lol. Great concert.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
At least for me Anton Belov and Acton were very low risk moves. Belov had potential at least too. You have to throw those darts once and awhile. The problem is when you sign those guys and think they are shoe ins to play above where they really should be.

But Nikitin and Ference my god. Just dumb dumb contracts.

Edit: You have to throw PPCP into the mix backhand.

Belov actually made the Russian Olympic team that year. I remember in the Russia vs. USA game he was playing awesome and I remember Craig Simpson saying something to the effect of "Belov can't even get into the lineup at times in Edmonton of all places, but he's been fantastic in this game."

Part of me wonders if he had some upside that just got hidden with how rancid those Oiler teams were, but I guess we'll never know.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Belov actually made the Russian Olympic team that year. I remember in the Russia vs. USA game he was playing awesome and I remember Craig Simpson saying something to the effect of "Belov can't even get into the lineup at times in Edmonton of all places, but he's been fantastic in this game."

Part of me wonders if he had some upside that just got hidden with how rancid those Oiler teams were, but I guess we'll never know.
Two words. Dallas Eakins. He had an interview in Russian where he said he wouldn’t consider playing for that coach again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Two words. Dallas Eakins. He had an interview in Russian where he said he wouldn’t consider playing for that coach again.
The usual types here were blasting Belov here for the comments and complete with the go back to Russia stuff. Despite Belov nailing it. I loved Belov all the more because he spoke his mind. Wish for more of that in present day. Idiots in charge ought to be challenged. I was calling out Eakins every day.

Could you imagine how demoralizing it was to play pro hockey for Dallas Eakins. you dedicate your whole life to playing and then you get typecast and misused and devalued by a village idiot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad