Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Connor Brown to 1-year incentive laden deal ($775K caphit, potentially $3.25M in bonuses)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Something very specific to watch for with Brown. Given open ice he can possess puck, sure, anybody can do that. But his present confidence with puck, and maybe knee, in traffic, it doesn't exist. If Brown has to move, cut, or evade a check he loses puck. Invariably. It happens regularly. Brown is most effective with the puck on pk where players are caught deep and he has a lot of open ice to work with. its the only time he's dangerous. Put any level of coverage on him and he disappears. One of the reasons we cannot put him in topsix.

Brown is only getting shots on goal and looks when people find him in an ideal spot. He isn't getting the puck to the net himself during EV play.

Funny thing is Brown is more likely to set up for a shot in front than dig for pucks in Ozone and he still doesn't score. Brown is even cheating forward on pucks. Watch for it.

Reactions: iCanada

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
plus minus doesn't tell if you're good defensively or not.

Such an outdated stat.
Fair enough. It is a little telling though where one player is the worst +/- on their team vs tied for 7th for the other player on their team. Also the oilers have a goal differential of 18 vs the red wings differential of 5. So even more telling.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Fair enough. It is a little telling though where one player is the worst +/- on their team vs tied for 7th for the other player on their team. Also the oilers have a goal differential of 18 vs the red wings differential of 5. So even more telling.
Connor Browns defense is actually very good.

Its at 2.33 ga/60.

His problem is his goals for is at 0.83 per 60.

Plus mine doesnt tell you how good offensively or defensively one is.

it tells you the score differential, and even then it hurts powerplay players and people who play with the goalie pulled, and benefits penalty killers.

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
Connor Browns defense is actually very good.

Its at 2.33 ga/60.

His problem is his goals for is at 0.83 per 60.

Plus mine doesnt tell you how good offensively or defensively one is.

it tells you the score differential, and even then it hurts powerplay players and people who play with the goalie pulled, and benefits penalty killers.
So shouldn't browns +/- be even higher then considering he's primarily a penalty killer here?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Brown plays the same game as Strome.

Spooner just drifted around.

Kostin is turning 25 right away. He scored only 0.5 points per game in the AHL over a large number of games. I think like 200+.

He didn't score at all in St.Louis. Went on a massive scoring streak in Edmonton with shooting percent numbers better than prime Stamkos and now the guy isn't scoring at all in Detroit.

Why is the Edmonton Kostin the real Kostin, when the other 5 years of his pro career have been completely pedestrian? Why don't NHL coaches play him more than 9 minutes a night? Are they all blind to the talent?

It doesn't add up.
Oh, imagine the blowback of having Brown and Kostin scoring 2 goals per season while eating 6 million in cap space.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Now he's only killing the bottom 6. Small improvement but the next move should be removing him from the lineup entirely. Let Gagner play instead.
He does kill penalties, no?

Realistically, the value of his contract will be determined in the playoffs. He has a few months to recover and get this shit together. If he plays like Bjugstad or Pisani (the best-case scenario) during the long playoff run, his contract will look fine.

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
This guy cant score at 5on5, you expect him to score 4on5?
I was expecting more than 3 points halfway through the season. I was told by many people that he's a competent middle sixer who can score. Yet to see any evidence of that, aside from a career high shooting % season in ottawa from 4 seasons ago.

Reactions: oilers4life5

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I was expecting more than 3 points halfway through the season. I was told by many people that he's a competent middle sixer who can score. Yet to see any evidence of that, aside from a career high shooting % season in ottawa from 4 seasons ago.
Me too, I wasn't arguing against that thought.

This whole conversation started because I was showing how flawed plus minus is.

Reactions: WEMCHUD

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
Me too, I wasn't arguing against that thought.

This whole conversation started because I was showing how flawed plus minus is.
Ah fair enough. Yes I agree plus minus isn't the best stat, my original comment was mostly in jest, haha.

Oh, imagine the blowback of having Brown and Kostin scoring 2 goals per season while eating 6 million in cap space.
At least kostin would drop the gloves on occasion/throw a big check, and he has INFINITELY ;) more goals than brown during their respective tenures as oilers

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Pucklington

Mar 24, 2008
Köln
He does kill penalties, no?

Realistically, the value of his contract will be determined in the playoffs. He has a few months to recover and get this shit together. If he plays like Bjugstad or Pisani (the best-case scenario) during the long playoff run, his contract will look fine.
Mike Peca during 2005-2006 was dogshit, but no one remembers because he played well in the playoffs.

I guess we hope for that. If he can build his game to a reasonable level for the playoffs, that's really all that matters.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Question, if Brown continues playing the way he is and his production is paltry at the end of the year, how much more then his base salary are we looking at paying him next year. I don't know the particulars of the contract, but do we really have anything to worry about with him hitting bonuses? If there is nothing to worry about, couldn't we enjoy him a bit more, as a depth player being paid under a mill?

Just a thought. If anyone has particulars on the contract and bonus structure, I'd be interested.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers are continuing to play Brown hoping he gets back to form. Lets hope he regain form sooner than later

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
He already hit his 3.25M bonus.
He had to play 10 f***ing games.
They were going to give him 3.25M dollars for playing 10 f***ing games.
f***! That is some trash right there. I still think salaries should be production based...to some degree. You want to get paid, produce. Yeah, you would have the issues of usage and TOI, but I still think it's possible to do

Thanks for the info Silver Coffey. Was hoping it was far more convoluted then that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I’ve been reading for years how the Blues are a ‘nothing club’ that fluked their way to a SC. So imagine my confusion upon hearing today that they have such a deep lineup that even a stud like Kostin can’t crack it.
They were a deep team up front and didn't lack grit at that time. Kostin was the odd man out for whatever reason(s).

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At this point send him down for a couple of weeks on a conditioning stint. Since we aren't playing Bourgault on the 1st line anyway give him 1st line ice time and PP time to try and get him some offensive confidence. If he doesn't agree to the conditioning stint then have him ride the pine or waive him.

Reactions: Kerberos

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
He has been getting consistently better as the season goes on. Feels like he has created some good stuff of late but hasn’t shown up on the point total. He also contributes on the pk which helps us win.

Realistically as a 775k player he has been good. The 3.25, barring anything crazy happening, is hitting next year. Putting him on waivers would beyond stupid because he gets claimed and now you have 3.25 on the books next year without getting the full year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad