Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Connor Brown to 1-year incentive laden deal ($775K caphit, potentially $3.25M in bonuses)

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
He had the lob pass shorthanded that was nice. Thats one. Was there anything else? Which other good play did he make in O-zone.

Seems odd in anycase for any comment to be assigned to teammates that "didn't finish" when Brown himself is a 48 game in a row virgin.

I do think Brown is being good on pk and oddly its his best looks defensively or offensively. he's not been good EV by any stretch.

Problem too that a player that was trying to get more involved in plays and a bit more to paint, rather than just peripheral has stopped getting much to net. Just 1sog each game in January. He's not scoring and now he's not even getting chances. Least in December he was getting some.
He has been very noticeable which is a good sign it's just that he can't score. But he's making plays, creating chances and working hard. I've liked his game. I'm hoping he starts potting some when it matters aka the playoffs (assuming EDM makes it). lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah he did. But haters gonna hate and give all the credit for anyone’s success to their favorite player. His minutes all game were largely with two AHL players.
What success has Connor Brown had here?

Connor Brown has been on every line on the team and not produced a drop on any. He's on the 4th line because he's inept offensively anyway. Which maybe escapes you that he's gravitated to 4th line status because he kills production any line he's been on. But lol this being used now as an excuse. Even when he did play with Drai yet again in third period last game.

There must be a resident Connor Brown fanclub here. If this same player was a leaf or Flame we'd all be laughing how little he's contributed.

lol as well that the "AHL players", who have all scored goals are at fault for Browns inability to pop his cherry. You heard it folks. Its to the point where linemates have to be ridiculed in order to defend the honor of Connor Brown.

ps Adam Erne has been in the NHL, not AHL for the last several seasons but don't let that deflect from the "Bogus" AHL players" claim.

done

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Connor Brown has been on every line on the team and not produced a drop on any. He's on the 4th line because he's inept offensively anyway. Which maybe escapes you that he's gravitated to 4th line status because he kills production any line he's been on. But lol this being used now as an excuse. Even when he did play with Drai yet again in third period last game.

There must be a resident Connor Brown fanclub here. If this same player was a leaf or Flame we'd all be laughing how little he's contributed.

lol as well that the "AHL players", who have all scored goals are at fault for Browns inability to pop his cherry. You heard it folks. Its to the point where linemates have to be ridiculed in order to defend the honor of Connor Brown.

ps Adam Erne has been in the NHL, not AHL for the last several seasons but don't let that deflect from the "Bogus" AHL players" claim.

done
You’re once again claiming I said a whole ton of things that I never said. Welcome back Replacement. Man this forum sucks sometimes when people insist on dominating damn near every thread.

DoNe

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He has been very noticeable which is a good sign it's just that he can't score. But he's making plays, creating chances and working hard. I've liked his game. I'm hoping he starts potting some when it matters aka the playoffs (assuming EDM makes it). lol
Yeah but he played a couple of shifts with Drai late in the 3rd apparently, so nothing that he did good all game matters. Somehow the only thing that matters is that he was on the ice at the same time as Drai a couple of times.

Reactions: bellagiobob

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Connor Brown manages to tie his skate laces on same skates and put on some of his equipment, and wear his helmet backwards...and its "he played really well in that game" if only he could do this more he would be "great value" and "its coming" You, know, like the messiah that was proclaimed to lead us to a SC.

Its like the Mickey Mouse Connor Brown glee club in here some days. Which is pretty odd to see here given that another year has passed.

To wit Connor Brown has not scored a goal in his last 46GP across 3 clubs. Connor Brown has not scored a SINGLE NHL goal in the last 22mths.

what a maroon

View attachment 794486
He' prettier than Hyman and Ryan Smyth combined. lol.

• Haha
Reactions: nabob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
After the ten game mark, when our ‘get out of jail free card’ expired, it was time for a few weeks of bitching and moaning about the contract and the player. Understandable. After that point the contract was a sunken cost, nothing we could do about it, constantly bitching about it won’t change it. All that matters from this point is can the player help us, and he has been, every game for weeks now. Some fans choose to cheer that the player has success and helps the team, while others cheer that he fails so they are proven right once every blue moon.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Oilers are stuck with him now, might as well cheer for the guy because he's not going anywhere. He has looked like a serviceable 4th line player and that's ok by me. At least they ended the top 6 experiment with him. I still believe he will start scoring the odd goal too and who knows, he could be valuable in the playoffs.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I think I'd be fine to bring him back for a mil next year. The 4 mil is already written in stone so outside of polarizing opinions on the player, its irrelevant. Despite junko production, I don't think he's worst bottom 6 option. I know we want production from all over the lineup, but this team is not far removed from having a bottom 6 that couldn't even tread water, let alone produce. At the very least, he's not leaking GA when McDrai lines are resting.

His PDO is a joke which should correct a little at some point, but his possession stats are fine, especially in the limited minutes he's has with Holloway. He plays well with Janmark. Is also a pretty good Pker, which is something we didn't have much of prior to Knob coming in.

I agree he's a disaster signing at 4M but that's pretty well over and done with now. If you have the option to sign him cheap next year I think you take it. Don't really want to go back to the UFA drawing board for another 3M gamble, and who the hell knows if any kids are going to step up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Funny how when I was listening to Terry's rant yesterday I thought maybe the Oilers should re-sign Brown to league min for next year, so maybe he has a chance to make that 4mil not look so bad next year.

Moments later Gregor suggests the same lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think I'd be fine to bring him back for a mil next year. The 4 mil is already written in stone so outside of polarizing opinions on the player, its irrelevant. Despite junko production, I don't think he's worst bottom 6 option. I know we want production from all over the lineup, but this team is not far removed from having a bottom 6 that couldn't even tread water, let alone produce. At the very least, he's not leaking GA when McDrai lines are resting.

His PDO is a joke which should correct a little at some point, but his possession stats are fine, especially in the limited minutes he's has with Holloway. He plays well with Janmark. Is also a pretty good Pker, which is something we didn't have much of prior to Knob coming in.

I agree he's a disaster signing at 4M but that's pretty well over and done with now. If you have the option to sign him cheap next year I think you take it. Don't really want to go back to the UFA drawing board for another 3M gamble, and who the hell knows if any kids are going to step up.
Not sure about this either. Could bring him back on league minimum and the feeling is he's still getting paid that and the bonus structure pay next season. Assuming we have a new GM I don't like the looks of that or that it would occur.

Actually as far as the leaking its notable that Hamblin, Erne, others have low GA. Not getting much but giving up next to nothing. Brown actually has appreciable EVGA. If he was even being a very good low event option, or shutdown kind of player at EV than I could see value in that as well as his stalwart pk work. But we're not getting anything solid from him in EV play.

Finally something tells me that Brown and his agent will still think about a next contract and that he's value somewhere. Seems unlikely, but somebody out there might pay him just to be a vet around the room on a young team. Not sure he comes in at league minimum even despite what he's shown this season.

I think he pots one tonight
I immediately thought toilet when I read this. Brown. Toilet. Blame my brain.

humor folks

• Haha
Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not sure about this either. Could bring him back on league minimum and the feeling is he's still getting paid that and the bonus structure pay next season. Assuming we have a new GM I don't like the looks of that or that it would occur.

Actually as far as the leaking its notable that Hamblin, Erne, others have low GA. Not getting much but giving up next to nothing. Brown actually has appreciable EVGA. If he was even being a very good low event option, or shutdown kind of player at EV than I could see value in that as well as his stalwart pk work. But we're not getting anything solid from him in EV play.

Finally something tells me that Brown and his agent will still think about a next contract and that he's value somewhere. Seems unlikely, but somebody out there might pay him just to be a vet around the room on a young team. Not sure he comes in at league minimum even despite what he's shown this season.

I immediately thought toilet when I read this. Brown. Toilet. Blame my brain.

humor folks
I don't really see why that would be the feeling. Even if it was, the feeling of paying someone not on the roster 4M seems a lot worse. If the cost is 4M+1M for Brown or 4M+2M for some other UFA, I'd probably go with brown unless the other person is can't miss.

Yeah Erne and Hamblin have PDOs of 1.053 and 1.042 compared to 0.950 for Brown. It's fair to say he has some impact on his own oish% being low since he hasn't scored a goal ever. But it's not really his fault he's getting 0.915 goaltending when he's on the ice and the other two are getting 0.9375+. Especially when their HDCF% is nearly interchangeable. Brown has positive total shot metrics, the other two generate less chances than they give up. Their raw totals are helped by the line scoring more (Brown deserves blame here) and goalies bailing them out a lot more. When you add in Brown has double the minutes, it's easy to see why his raw totals are worse. Especially when a chunk of those minutes was 12 games of the entire team being trash while Wood forced him into the top 6.

Erne and Hamblin have far and away the highest PDO on the team. No way that's sustainable. 1st-3rd PDO is 1.053 to 1.042 to 1.018 (Hyman), that's a large difference.

I think its fine if him and his agent want to test the market. He can go look elsewhere like Kane and then come back and take 1-1.25M. Or he can go elsewhere. I'm not advocating we over pay the guy (again), but I think if you can get him for around 1M give or take some spare change, he can be a useful player. People just need to accept the 4M is already spent. If you want to say you're paying Brown 5M next year, then you also need to say you're paying his replacement 5M.

Reactions: joestevens29

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't really see why that would be the feeling. Even if it was, the feeling of paying someone not on the roster 4M seems a lot worse. If the cost is 4M+1M for Brown or 4M+2M for some other UFA, I'd probably go with brown unless the other person is can't miss.

Yeah Erne and Hamblin have PDOs of 1.053 and 1.042 compared to 0.950 for Brown. It's fair to say he has some impact on his own oish% being low since he hasn't scored a goal ever. But it's not really his fault he's getting 0.915 goaltending when he's on the ice and the other two are getting 0.9375+. Especially when their HDCF% is nearly interchangeable. Brown has positive total shot metrics, the other two generate less chances than they give up. Their raw totals are helped by the line scoring more (Brown deserves blame here) and goalies bailing them out a lot more. When you add in Brown has double the minutes, it's easy to see why his raw totals are worse. Especially when a chunk of those minutes was 12 games of the entire team being trash while Wood forced him into the top 6.

Erne and Hamblin have far and away the highest PDO on the team. No way that's sustainable. 1st-3rd PDO is 1.053 to 1.042 to 1.018 (Hyman), that's a large difference.

I think its fine if him and his agent want to test the market. He can go look elsewhere like Kane and then come back and take 1-1.25M. Or he can go elsewhere. I'm not advocating we over pay the guy (again), but I think if you can get him for around 1M give or take some spare change, he can be a useful player. People just need to accept the 4M is already spent. If you want to say you're paying Brown 5M next year, then you also need to say you're paying his replacement 5M.
If he wants to stay here it can be at league minimum. I mean we have players performing the identical roles like Janmark, Ryan, who are performing much better, and Gagner, who has been better addition than all at league minimum. I kind of look at stuff like that, probably it doesn't factor as much as I think but I can't in good faith think its fair to offer Brown more than the guys actually carrying the mail, and playing well for the team.

Reactions: North Cole

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
If he wants to stay here it can be at league minimum. I mean we have players performing the identical roles like Janmark, Ryan, who are performing much better, and Gagner, who has been better addition than all at league minimum. I kind of look at stuff like that, probably it doesn't factor as much as I think but I can't in good faith think its fair to offer Brown more than the guys actually carrying the mail, and playing well for the team.
I think that's fair, could start there and see what he circles back with after looking around. Like you say he might just go off to Hawks for 3M as a "good guy", making this all moot.

I just think if the shoe dropped, I wouldn't scoff at paying him 375K above league minimum. Worse case, he gets bumped in camp by kids and you send him to the AHL. Sucks for Katz's wallet but you can bury league min+375K with no effect on your cap. The alternative is a UFA replacement we know nothing about, which could work or not, for less or more money. Rather just have the known quantity on a contract you can scuttle if you need too.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Honestly since moving to the 4th line he's been solid.

Imo he's formed a solid PK duo with Janmark, and he doesn't seem as timid with the puck as he was in the top 6. He actually gotten and has create a couple "assist worthy plays" over the last few games (The lob to spring Janmark following a nice breakup on the PK vs. OTT is a good example of all of the above)

He reminds me a fair bit of Ryan, when he first came to the Oil, Super ineffective to start the year, to the point people where calling him a washed and a mistake. But he turned it around once he finally settled into a role, I can see Brown doing the same.

Don't believe me? Here are the receipts (which look strikingly similar to responses in this thread). Also, these were Ryan's stats going into new years day back in 2022: 28GP, 2G, 0A, -11; Pretty damn comparable to Brown's 29/0/3/-8 splits so far this year.
Even if he comes around in the second half and has a decent playoffs, people will still say it was a bad deal and Holland got lucky he came around because it shouldn't have been signed in the first place.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I think tonight could be his night lol. If the Oilers are up a few in a game more than half way through, they should chuck him in the Hyman PP spot.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
It needs to happen organically, like a deflection off his face or back or something!

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

done
As far as I’m concerned, he’s pissed off a lot of point freaks. Which really makes my day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad