Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Connor Brown to 1-year incentive laden deal ($775K caphit, potentially $3.25M in bonuses)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What the f*** are you talking about? You referenced a player who was waived last year. Kostin got overpaid because he shot the lights out last year.

You are grasping at grasping at straws. Utter nonsense.
Shooting the lights out maybe seems like a good thing. Kostin is the whole package and a balls out player. He had 3G just in his only playoff series in limited minutes. Could've had more if dipshit coach would have played him. Conner Brown is a small peripheral player who scored 1G in 20 playoff games. Thats next to not even being there.

An Oilers team that needs physicality has gotten even weaker.

Reactions: Leonardlizard

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Not a fan of the $ as there where decent RWs (Wheeler, JVR) that went for a quarter of the price.
The bad is that it already places the team in cap hell next year, the good is that is says all in for this year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Shooting the lights out maybe seems like a good thing. Kostin is the whole package and a balls out player. He had 3G just in his only playoff series in limited minutes. Could've had more if dipshit coach would have played him. Conner Brown is a small peripheral player who scored 1G in 20 playoff games. Thats next to not even being there.
Yeah, what you continue to imagine Kostin to be, and what Kostin is are VERY different things. Again, you're just grasping nothing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, what you continue to imagine Kostin to be, and what Kostin is are VERY different things. Again, you're just grasping nothing.
The question is what are people imagining the near 30yr old Connor Brown coming off longterm serious knee injury going to be. A player that was already dropping off before the injury.

Kostin is the better player now with much more in intangibles that the Oilers need. Not sure how that points even argued.

WE lose a tough as nails young gamer that can score and we get old Conner Brown. yeah I'm not dancing over this.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The question is what are people imagining the near 30yr old Connor Brown coming off longterm serious knee injury going to be. A player that was already dropping off before the injury.

Kostin is the better player now with much more in intangibles that the Oilers need. Not sure how that points even argued.

WE lose a tough as nails young gamer that can score and we get old Conner Brown. yeah I'm not dancing over this.
One player really wanted to be here, to contribute to a potential championship team, and took less guaranteed money in a structured deal that helps us this year. The other player blew smoke up our asses about loving it here and was all about the money. I liked Kostin, but screw him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
One player really wanted to be here, to contribute to a potential championship team, and took less guaranteed money in a structured deal that helps us this year. The other player blew smoke up our asses about loving it here and was all about the money. I liked Kostin, but screw him.
Fair enough. Difference is I don't think this team is winning anything. Last two offseasons I was hopeful and liked the additions and potential. I think the Oilers missed their big shot this spring. Their best shot imo. For sure I don't think Connor Brown is going to move the dial.

I'd caution that Connor Brown wanted some more money and needed a place to land. That this contract is structured the way it is should be a huge concern. Caps got ZERO benefit from signing and paying Connor Brown. Don't think we end up with much either.

We're paying the guy just to show up. lol. Its not even incentives based contract. Its just be in the lineup and he hits his bonuses. Nice deal if you can get it..

i don't adopt the screw Kostin take because Kostin just wanted minutes and to be on the ice playing. Too bad our idiotic coach couldn't spot a gamer. I blame Woody too for finding a way to f*** it up royally this spring and he's still our headcoach.

Last edited:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Gross that the bonuses are games played. Should've been production based.

I doubt Brown would've agreed to production based bonuses.

I'm impressed with this contract. A lot of people have been on Holland's case over the years for not being creative enough but this signing along with the Yams/Kostin trade is some pretty good work.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

I'm impressed with this contract. A lot of people have been on Holland's case over the years for not being creative enough but this signing along with the Yams/Kostin trade is some pretty good work.
If it's not production based then the bonus numbers should be much much lower than this. Maybe not quite Wheeler low but certainly less than 4 mil total. If he plays 80 games and only puts up like 20-30 points it absolutely cripples our next offseason.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It being games played is awful for the team because it’s not based on performance just ability to show up to a game.
Best case he plays great and our cap hurts next year. Worst case he plays like a shit 4th liner and our cap is hurt next year.
It’s completely fine. Brown is known to be a high character guy and McDavid knows him well. There’s no universe where this guy is a 4th liner, injuries are the biggest concern so GP totally reasonable. Also our cap situation is much better next year

Don't get it. Is there a reason we couldn't structure a Kostin deal in this way or is it just with incoming players? I'm cap impaired. lol

I'm kind of meh on losing Kostin and potentially paying more for a guy that I never noticed. All I know is Brown just missed an entire season due to a serious knee injury, complete ACL tear. So we're even getting damaged goods and betting on it.
Kostin has never been the same level player as Brown. Not sure why so many people in this thread are talking about a player they clearly don’t know anything about

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
If it's not production based then the bonus numbers should be much much lower than this. Maybe not quite Wheeler low but certainly less than 4 mil total. If he plays 80 games and only puts up like 20-30 points it absolutely cripples our next offseason.

There is definitely some risk associated with this contract but I'm sure offering him "much much lower" bonuses wouldn't fly if he had offers from other teams. At the end of the day, you have to do what you have to do to get the player (within reason of course).

Reactions: Leo360 and Biltmore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Why not? If he thinks he's still a good player he'd agree to such performance bonuses. The just showing up bonus structure is lame.

That you're even calling the Kostin/Yams paring of cap a trade is boot licking. Not sure that credit is deserved. Holland signed the Yams contract to begin with.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Don't get it. Is there a reason we couldn't structure a Kostin deal in this way or is it just with incoming players? I'm cap impaired. lol

I'm kind of meh on losing Kostin and potentially paying more for a guy that I never noticed. All I know is Brown just missed an entire season due to a serious knee injury, complete ACL tear. So we're even getting damaged goods and betting on it.
So.
For a player to be eligible for a contract like this they need to have 400nhl games played and spent at least 100 days on LTIR the previous season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm not that miffed on bonuses being based just on GP.

If he's bad or injured he just won't play. If he's good well wasn't that the point?
I thought the point was making a contending team better each offseason. This team instead has had to punt players because of cap. usually teams have to pare down after going all out on roster and winning a cup. We've done that without winning shit. If Connor Brown is shit he just takes up cap we really don't have and also compromises our cap for next season in what I'm hearing.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Why not? If he thinks he's still a good player he'd agree to such performance bonuses. The just showing up bonus structure is lame.

That you're even calling the Kostin/Yams paring of cap a trade is boot licking. Not sure that credit is deserved. Holland signed the Yams contract to begin with.

Why not? Because putting up points is objectively harder than simply dressing for games. If you gave McDavid the same options he'd hold out for the games played option as well. That doesn't mean Brown won't put up points or that he doesn't think he will be able to. It just means he wants less risk associated with his contract. Considering he probably turned down other offers with more guaranteed money from other teams, can you really blame him? He is doing us a favour by even agreeing to this contract structure.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
There is definitely some risk associated with this contract but I'm sure offering him "much much lower" bonuses wouldn't fly if he had offers from other teams. At the end of the day, you have to do what you have to do to get the player (within reason of course).
I think the difference of opinion we have here is that I don't think 3.25 million for only games played as bonus is "within reason". Like at all. If you want 3.25 million it needs to come with some goals/points, especially when none of us know how good he'll be after a major injury. Otherwise it could devolve into a situation comparable to what happened with Puljujarvi/Yamamoto last season, except even worse b/c it'd result in 3.25 million in dead cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad