Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Connor Brown to 1-year incentive laden deal ($775K caphit, potentially $3.25M in bonuses)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Holland finally starting to get creative with structuring deals
Don't get it. Is there a reason we couldn't structure a Kostin deal in this way or is it just with incoming players? I'm cap impaired. lol

I'm kind of meh on losing Kostin and potentially paying more for a guy that I never noticed. All I know is Brown just missed an entire season due to a serious knee injury, complete ACL tear. So we're even getting damaged goods and betting on it.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Yeah. Impossible to comment too much without knowing. But if we're cap strapped how can we structure these bonuses in anyway and if so doesn't this mean an instance where Oilers will intentionally stymie the player hitting the bonuses because they can't have him hitting those bonuses within their cap structure. I'm no capologist, how does this all work?
It’s a next years problem if the bonuses are hit, if the cap doesn’t rise and he is pinned against the cap and the bonuses are met he will have to clear salary.

As for preventing the player from getting there you could do that, but all the players will know it And let’s just say that won‘t sit well.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Don't get it. Is there a reason we couldn't structure a Kostin deal in this way or is it just with incoming players? I'm cap impaired. lol

I'm kind of meh on losing Kostin and potentially paying more for a guy that I never noticed.
From another site:

“Brown's time of service plus the duration he has spent on LTIR qualifies him under a rarely applied section of the CBA where the player can be signed for a low base/high bonus deal.”

it’s a unique situation

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
If I remember right, if he reaches his bonuses and that puts us over the cap, everything which exceeds the cap this year is moved against next year's cap.
I see, guess it's how his bonuses were structured whereby if he earns them, they will count towards next year cap

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I'm kind of meh on losing Kostin and potentially paying more for a guy that I never noticed. All I know is Brown just missed an entire season due to a serious knee injury, complete ACL tear. So we're even getting damaged goods and betting on it.
Only UFA players coming off significant injuries or who are aged 35+ are eligible to sign deals with performance incentives and only on one year deals.

The only other situation a player can sign a performance based deal is when signing their entry level contract.

Yeah. Impossible to comment too much without knowing. But if we're cap strapped how can we structure these bonuses in anyway and if so doesn't this mean an instance where Oilers will intentionally stymie the player hitting the bonuses because they can't have him hitting those bonuses within their cap structure. I'm no capologist, how does this all work?
Bonuses can be pushed to next years cap if it would put a team over the cap in the current season. So in a scenario where Brown hits his bonuses and it would put the Oilers over the cap this season, it instead will be applied to next season.

We are dealing with a little bit of that for this upcoming season with Bouchard having hit some bonuses this past season that we couldn't fit under our cap.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
From another site:

“Brown's time of service plus the duration he has spent on LTIR qualifies him under a rarely applied section of the CBA where the player can be signed for a low base/high bonus deal.”

it’s a unique situation
Pretty well, there is also other criteria one must meet to qualify for these bonuses, games played, age etc

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From another site:

it’s a unique situation
Thanks much. Respect to people that can even read through the CBA and get through knowing some of those details. I try to look at the stuff and its like reading tertiary subpoint paragraphs in a tax guide.

This is gold to me; From Black Books UK series.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If the bonuses were favourable to the team, goals and assists, the details would have already been released.

The longer it takes to get the details the more likely the majority of the bonus structure is built around games played.

The deal is already signed, just hope for a terrific season from Connor Brown ending with a Stanley Cup celebration.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Welcome aboard "Other Connor!" ;) Can't complain about this signing really. Hopefully Brown can stay healthy.
I think its fair to be a bit critical of it.

$4M when all the bonuses are tied to games played is quite a bit of money for a guy who averages less than 40 points per 82 games played.

I think a lot more Oiler fans would have been more comfortable with something like $1.5M base salary and $1.5M bonuses. More guaranteed money for Brown but less potential risk for eating up a significant chunk up cap the following season. Or at the very least tie some of the bonuses to actual performance. So that if you're getting the full hit the following season at least you knew you got a ~55 point season or something for it.

Now of course the argument is "well he probably wouldn't have signed that deal" which... fair. But maybe thats when you move on and look elsewhere.

Last edited:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Really stoked to have Conor Brown here. I think he’s a perfect fit for top 6RW and is a massive upgrade all around on Yams and JP

It’s too bad they couldn’t make it work for last year (might have avoided the injury too), but then they might not have had Ekholm (JP cap out at the TDL made that happen).

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just stat surfing but still worried about this one. Injured player missing all of last season, turning 30 soon, its been years since he put up much. Last two seasons just 10 goals. 3 seasons ago was huge but how much of that player will we even see here?

People are saying its worth the risk and such but I'm not seeing it. Do we get the player he was in 2021 or the one he's been since?

I don't see the excitement of slotting this guy in topsix. better options were available last season. To me Tolvanen looks to have better top end and still young. Seattle got that player for nothing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Just stat surfing but still worried about this one. Injured player missing all of last season, turning 30 soon, its been years since he put up much. Last two seasons just 10 goals. 3 seasons ago was huge but how much of that player will we even see here?

People are saying its worth the risk and such but I'm not seeing it. Do we get the player he was in 2021 or the one he's been since?

I don't see the excitement of slotting this guy in topsix. better options were available last season. To me Tolvanen looks to have better top end and still young. Seattle got that player for nothing.
Even for you this is nonsense.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
Connor Brown at 4 mil is a bargain, if we had the cap space, it would be a great signing.

We don't have the cap space so we needed to get creative. This is what good GMs do, they "make it happen" CB is a massive upgrade over Yams.

Our team is better today.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think its fair to be a bit critical of it.

$4M when all the bonuses are tied to games played is quite a bit of money for a guy who averages less than 40 points per 82 games played.

I think a lot more Oiler fans would have been more comfortable with something like $1.5M base salary and $1.5M bonuses. More guaranteed money for Brown but less potential risk for eating up a significant chunk up cap the following season. Or at the very least tie some of the bonuses to actual performance. So that if you're getting the full hit the following season at least you knew you got a ~55 point season or something for it.

Now of course the argument is "well he probably wouldn't have signed that deal" which... fair. But maybe thats when you move on and look elsewhere.

Yeah. Can't see any reason to have landed on this guy who hasn't been healthy for several seasons and has missed a ton of games the last 3 seasons and is turning 30. Seems like yet another player that is injured more than not later in his career. We're getting the older damaged goods Connor Brown, not any player in prime. More concerning is we could be paying the guy more than we should just to not add much if bonuses are primarily geared to games played. I could see why the team does that, fallback incase Brown has yet another injured season but why settle on this?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Even for you this is nonsense.
Looks like a nothing signing. A smallish guy that scores once in awhile who is soft as butter in our topsix and who falls asleep in the playoffs.

We just let go an absolute gamer like Kostin who just scored 3 goals in playoffs for a guy that has one playoff goal in his entire career.

Not exactly thrilling this. We lost more than we gained to this point.

Kostin had upside. Kostin was clearly a playoff player. Unlike Brown.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Looks like a nothing signing. A smallish guy that scores once in awhile who is soft as butter in our topsix and who falls asleep in the playoffs.

We just let go an absolute gamer like Kostin who just scored 3 goals in playoffs for a guy that has one playoff goal in his entire career.

Not exactly thrilling this. We lost more than we gained to this point.
What the f*** are you talking about? You referenced a player who was waived last year. Kostin got overpaid because he shot the lights out last year.

You are grasping at grasping at straws. Utter nonsense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad