GDT: Oilers rookies vs Jets rookies

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Puljujarvi evened out and his catch up is impressive given all the rust in his game, but he is up against B and C level prospects. Certainly there is no question about his speed and his head for the game -- I wonder how he will fare (at least initially) when the timelines to make decisions are much, much shorter and the ice will feel like it's shrinking beneath his feet. I have faith he will adjust, but I don't think it's a great idea to project him as a bonafide first liner in his rookie season quite yet.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Anybody know if Puljujarvi will be at the Golden Bear-Prospect game? Just bought tickets.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
Puljujarvi evened out and his catch up is impressive given all the rust in his game, but he is up against B and C level prospects. Certainly there is no question about his speed and his head for the game -- I wonder how he will fare (at least initially) when the timelines to make decisions are much, much shorter and the ice will feel like it's shrinking beneath his feet. I have faith he will adjust, but I don't think it's a great idea to project him as a bonafide first liner in his rookie season quite yet.

I'm quite sure it'll take him some time to adjust to the smaller ice surface when competition gets tougher. He's much more raw than the other members of that beastly WJC-line (PuLa-Aho). I'd like to see some patience with the kid, especially since it's not necessary for him to shine in 16-17 with all the elite talent in Edmonton's offensive lineup. Let him play in the AHL if it looks like he needs some time over there, let him learn the languange and get comfortable living abroad. It'll get you rewarded in the end.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Granted this is just a rookie competition, but aren't Jack Raslovic, Kyle Connor and Logan Stanley all first rounders? So I don't know about B and C level prospects.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Fine we will put him on the 3rd line with Pouliot and Nugent-Hopkins.

Its okay to get excited!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm quite sure it'll take him some time to adjust to the smaller ice surface when competition gets tougher. He's much more raw than the other members of that beastly WJC-line (PuLa-Aho). I'd like to see some patience with the kid, especially since it's not necessary for him to shine in 16-17 with all the elite talent in Edmonton's offensive lineup. Let him play in the AHL if it looks like he needs some time over there, let him learn the languange and get comfortable living abroad. It'll get you rewarded in the end.

sure.. There is no urgency to play him the top 6 unlike most of our previous picks.
Puljujarvi's play will dictate where he will will play.. If he beats out Pakarinen, Kassian, Pitlick, Khaira, Lander, Yakupov and Versteeg he will play in the NHL.

He looked better than Draisaitl at last years tourney so I dont think the ice will seem to shrink and crumble under his skates when he goes against bigger NHLers.

The kid will be fine.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He did look very rusty in the first game. Almost never seen him play that badly at any level.

Well if that was a rusty performance we should smile. He was the best player at the Young Stars Classic. Not even close really, he's way beyond the other prospects for all 4 teams. I don't think it's controversial to say that.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
He did look very rusty in the first game. Almost never seen him play that badly at any level.

Agreed. And I have yet to see him fly out there which he is capable of doing when he is on his game. He has another gear to his game and I am sure he'll get better as the camp moves forward.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well if that was a rusty performance we should smile. He was the best player at the Young Stars Classic. Not even close really, he's way beyond the other prospects for all 4 teams. I don't think it's controversial to say that.

We have an ...ainec? :amazed:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Don't even think it's a controversial view. He was the best player at that tournament. 6 points in 2 games is semi-reflective of that.

It's not controversial. His performance in the 3rd today was head and shoulders above any other's at any point in the tourney IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If this is rusty Puljujarvi, I'd hate (or love) to see what he could do in full form, lol. 8-12 points in two games? :laugh:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If this is rusty Puljujarvi, I'd hate (or love) to see what he could do in full form, lol. 8-12 points in two games? :laugh:

Well he wouldve had a couple more goals if Caggiula could find him..
Points aside the way he was toying with the opposition was different than what we have seen others do. Draisiatl last season could hardly stand out in his draft+1 version. Slepyshev looked the sharpest last year but was far from dominating.

in any case things are looking up for the Oil... if we have guys like Pulju, Caggiula, Nurse and Reinhart waiting for a callup to NHL then we are laughing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
6 points* and he didnt really look rusty... Thats how he plays..

Of course he looked rusty, what are you talking about? He's never looked as sloppy as he was in the first game of the tournament. He still needs some work in some areas, but this kid is going to be fantastic.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well he wouldve had a couple more goals if Caggiula could find him..
Points aside the way he was toying with the opposition was different than what we have seen others do. Draisiatl last season could hardly stand out in his draft+1 version. Slepyshev looked the sharpest last year but was far from dominating.

in any case things are looking up for the Oil... if we have guys like Pulju, Caggiula, Nurse and Reinhart waiting for a callup to NHL then we are laughing.

We have never had this kind of depth in the past decade of futility. Not even close, and there's still guys like Khaira and Slepyshev who could easily be NHL ready to start the year or later in the year. Benning looks pretty good too and might be a call-up option at some point, very smart and positionally sound Dman who moves the puck pretty well.

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
I hope he wears #39 permanently. Dougie Weight is my fav Oiler all time and it would be awesome to watch another great #39 for years to come

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad