GDT: Oilers rookies vs Jets rookies

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hopefully the game is archived...if so you can watch it at your convenience.

I'll probably end up watching it, watching games live is much more fun.

Yeah should be on the Oilers youtube channel. I'll be at the game so I really hope that Puljujarvi plays. He should be, they usually play the new high 1st round picks in this game. It should be more competitive of a game than the Penticton games. The Bears usually play the Oilers really hard and they usually have a pretty structured game (as to be expected with a team thats mostly been together for a few years), and the majority of the team is older in the 22-25 range.

I hope he plays, the more games he can now play the better.
He should improve every game.

How did McDavid& Dra do last year in this game?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

They dominated. Both substantially better than everyone else on the ice for either team, by a significant amount. I think they both had 3 points and were unstoppable. Otherwise it was a competitive game, those two were just far too good in comparison to the rest of the field.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Yeah I think he will play. I'd expect that most of the prospects will play over invites. McDavid and Drai were dominant on a line with Winquist last year, but the game was pretty even when they weren't on the ice. Hoping to get to see more of Ellis in net as well, and also Niemalainen and Benning. Interested to see how those 2 handle some older stronger players. Also hope we see the Benik-Caggiula-Pulju line, it will be a good test for them to see what they can create offensively against a more structured team than we saw in the tournament.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They dominated. Both substantially better than everyone else on the ice for either team, by a significant amount. I think they both had 3 points and were unstoppable. Otherwise it was a competitive game, those two were just far too good in comparison to the rest of the field.

Yeah I think he will play. I'd expect that most of the prospects will play over invites. McDavid and Drai were dominant on a line with Winquist last year, but the game was pretty even when they weren't on the ice. Hoping to get to see more of Ellis in net as well, and also Niemalainen and Benning. Interested to see how those 2 handle some older stronger players. Also hope we see the Benik-Caggiula-Pulju line, it will be a good test for them to see what they can create offensively against a more structured team than we saw in the tournament.

Okay so if they played on the same line it's difficult to make straight comparisons for their performance.
But with saying that hoping Pulju dominates, will be interesting to watch Caggiula if he plays and plays with Pulju. He was forcing plays(at times) in that prospects tourney which lead to nowhere. Shooting through 3 players, missing few open nets and clear passing lanes.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Okay so if they played on the same line it's difficult to make straight comparisons for their performance.
But with saying that hoping Pulju dominates, will be interesting to watch Caggiula if he plays and plays with Pulju. He was forcing plays(at times) in that prospects tourney which lead to nowhere. Shooting through 3 players, missing few open nets and clear passing lanes.

It will be a good test for sure. If Pulju looks dominant in this game then I'd definitely start learning towards him making the team out of camp, although obviously he'll still have to show it in preseason. I'd agree Caggiula was forcing some plays, but you could see the skill and feistiness in his game. I think he's a good prospect who is close to NHL ready as well who could see NHL time if injuries happen.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

They weren't on the same line I don't think. Just clicked on the PP.

Not sure comparisons need to be made or are even fair to Puljujarvi. Draisaitl was a year ahead of where Puljujarvi is now in terms of age and had 1/2 a year of NHL experience, so it would make some sense if he was ahead in the game, and McDavid is well... McDavid.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
They weren't on the same line I don't think. Just clicked on the PP.

Not sure comparisons need to be made or are even fair to Puljujarvi. Draisaitl was a year ahead of where Puljujarvi is now in terms of age and had 1/2 a year of NHL experience, so it would make some sense if he was ahead in the game, and McDavid is well... McDavid.

I may be remembering incorrectly, but I'm almost positive that Draisaitl was on McDavid's wing in the Bears game last year. Then again, now I'm questioning if it was Winquist or Chase on the wing also with McDavid. Anyways doesn't matter.

North American game in 5 hours and then going to the Oilers rookie game tonight. Going to be a good day of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad