Oilers now 13-12-1: THE THREAD THAT'S FUN FOR EVERYONE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Too early. Didn’t they get off to a horrendous start last year as well?
I don’t think they’re catching Vegas for the Division but a lot of the Pacific teams are spinning their wheels and still within reach.
Canucks are 4-2 so they aren't spinning their wheels that much.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Both teams have pretty big questions marks themselves. LA a lot less than Vancouver, but again, outside of Vegas I don't see any team running away with things.
Both teams are a lot different so your point is moot. If Canucks trade Garland and get another top 4D, then they won't have any weaknesses. They are 4-2 and getting contributions from players like Lafferty, Hoglander, and Suter. They get slept on here so much though. I think there will be some surprises this year. Teams like Wings and Vancouver seem very different after their wholesale changes they did in offseason and that trade deadline last year.

Reactions: Fraser28

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
They will make the playoffs. The pacific and the west in general is a wide field.

But as i said in our board, whoever had them as a "top-contender" should take another, deep look.

That D und Goaltending wont go anywhere. Even McDavid and Draisaitl can´t score on a crazy pace to neutralize the mistakes from their D and Goalies.

Darnell Nurse and his salary..... That is one of the most brutal contracts I´ve seen in a long time.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I still can't imagine them missing, but if they continue on this way I do think Woodcroft will be in trouble, and at that point maybe the Oilers will be facing a big uphill battle.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I'd be shocked if they missed the playoffs. They may have issues as a team but they're buoyed by an all time great duo in McDrai which should be enough to power them in.

I don't think they're a slam dunk to be atop the Pacific though, two many teams will be competitive.

VGK, LAK in addition to SEA, CGY and VAN duking it out for bottom spots.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I still can't imagine them missing, but if they continue on this way I do think Woodcroft will be in trouble, and at that point maybe the Oilers will be facing a big uphill battle.

Woodcroft has been on the team for 1.5 seasons - it'd be pretty shocking they'd fire him after less than 2 seasons - especially with the same GM.

It's possible Holland gets fired and the new GM cleans house but it would be pretty surprising that Woodcroft gets hired and doesn't even last 2 seasons (after going to the 3rd and 2nd round).

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I mean I can imagine them missing, but I can also imagine me winning the lottery..... so it's more of a day dream than a serious probability. :laugh:

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The Pacific is looking pretty rough outside of Vegas, they're 2 points back of 3rd and couldn't play much worse.
I agree. That's the key. Division and conference isn't that great.

Edmonton will get in after a slow start. They can plug some holes at trade deadline and play better.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
McDavid will probably be a little rusty when he comes back as well, the next 2 ish weeks are gonna be very important. But honestly, playoffs or not it doesn't matter, there's far bigger issues. Until the goaltending situation is resolved, they're not contending for anything.

scoopscj

Feb 13, 2009
Central Joy-See
1698232659046.jpeg

do not press the shiny red panic button

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Damn, oilers have been getting ripped on a ton already this season on these boards.

I love giving it to them as much as the next guy, but it’s only been a handful of games, give them a break.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Woodcroft has been on the team for 1.5 seasons - it'd be pretty shocking they'd fire him after less than 2 seasons - especially with the same GM.

It's possible Holland gets fired and the new GM cleans house but it would be pretty surprising that Woodcroft gets hired and doesn't even last 2 seasons (after going to the 3rd and 2nd round).

Woodcroft is the 5th coach since McDavid was drafted, 1.5 seasons is about average

Reactions: Field of Dreams

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
They have 5 games before November 9th, when I think McJesus will be back.

Rangers, Stars, Canucks, Flames and Preds.

If they go 2-3 they will be 3-7-1. This 5 games stretch is a crucial. Could put them in a tougher spot.

If McDavid is out for 3/4 more weeks and comes back on the 22nd, they play the Sharks, Isles and Lightning. Could be a 3-5 like run up to Nov 22. Puts them at 4-9-1.

They will need a winning streak whenever McDavid comes back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad