Dreger: Oilers in discussions with Nashville about Ekholm & Montreal about Edmundson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If back issues are that much of a concern, I can see a deal packed with conditional pieces - Retained Edmundson for prospect X plus a 1st if he plays all the games this season (including playoffs), that pick becomes a 2nd if it is 75%, etc.
I would be shocked if there is any way that the Oilers give up their 1st for Edmundson as the primary piece.

Reactions: capazzo

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I would be shocked if there is any way that the Oilers give up their 1st for Edmundson as the primary piece.
Well i was just throwing numbers out there to expand on my point; i wouldnt say id be shocked that they get a first (it'll be in the 20th range), but i think he will return equal value. Say soemthign like a B prospect with a conditional pick that goes up to a 2nd if Eddy plays all games.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think Savard would be happier playing for a contender at this age, but won't say it publicly or let it show with the kids. But that's pure speculation on my part.
its speculation on my part too. Players will always tell the camera that they want to stay in the city, but he really expanded on his answer that he likes what he is seeing, likes mentoring, likes being in his home province, wants to stay etc. Ultimately my point was made on the impression that i got that he was especially sincere that he wanted to stay as opposed to the "pre recorded answers" players usually say.

Reactions: 26Mats

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well i was just throwing numbers out there to expand on my point; i wouldnt say id be shocked that they get a first (it'll be in the 20th range), but i think he will return equal value. Say soemthign like a B prospect with a conditional pick that goes up to a 2nd if Eddy plays all games.
When Edmundson's name first came up the Oilers were in the midst of their seemingly annual Nov-Dec disasterous slump. The left side was a mess and the need appeared to be anyone who could play a steady physical stay at home game. Even then a 1st for Edmundson was looking like a big stretch given his back issues and declining play. Today the target is clearly a much higher end defenseman. Borberg's play has been night and day better even though he has his moments of inconsistency. There seems to be no question that the team is very high on him. And Desharnais has supplied the physicality and defense first approach that might have been the biggest reason why they would have been interested in Edmundson. So the need right now for a guy like Edmundson, who will certainly not be a game changer, has changed significantly. Honestly, I think Dreger is way behind the curve on this one. And while it is possible that they do end up looking at a guy like Edmundson if nothing else comes about I think the only way they would end up making that deal is if the price is very cheap or iof they have an injury on Wednesday.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ekholm doesn't even have an NTC so no concern there. It just comes down to value, and I'd give up a ton:

1st '23
1st '24 or '25 (NSH choice)
One of Broberg/Holloway/Bourgault/Schaefer
One of Savoie/Tullio/Lavoie/Kesselring
One of Ceci/Barrie (for cap)
One of Puljujarvi/Yamamoto (for cap)

It's an enormous amount of futures capital but given Ekholm can play both sides it's a no-brainer.
Insanity.

I want Ekholm on the Oilers as much as anybody but this is an absurd overpayment.

Something like 2023 1st, Schaefer, Kulak, Yamamoto (local Oilers radio guy says that Nashville likes him), league minimum contract to even the cap and maybe an addition pick added in should be close I'd think.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nashville isn't eating 3.125M for the next three years on Ekholm's deal.

Also, regarding the "as usual" part, take a look at what the roster was like before KH, and then look at it now. He's done plenty. The only real blunders have been the Campbell signing, and maybe the Nurse signing, but I put the blame that on Chiarelli for bridging Nurse twice and leading him right to free agency. Some might say the AA and Green deals, but those went south because of COVID.

I'm not a huge Holland guy, but just remember what the previous alternatives have done as panic moves, and realize that maybe having a guy who takes his time and doesn't make stupid trades is a good guy to have right now. I'd rather no moves right now than having the equivalent of Griffin Reinhart for a 1st and 2nd, Hall for Larsson, or Eberle for Strome and then Strome for Ryan Spooner debacles.
Holland bridged Nurse the second time. That blunder is 100% on him and it's an enormous blunder.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
When Edmundson's name first came up the Oilers were in the midst of their seemingly annual Nov-Dec disasterous slump. The left side was a mess and the need appeared to be anyone who could play a steady physical stay at home game. Even then a 1st for Edmundson was looking like a big stretch given his back issues and declining play. Today the target is clearly a much higher end defenseman. Borberg's play has been night and day better even though he has his moments of inconsistency. There seems to be no question that the team is very high on him. And Desharnais has supplied the physicality and defense first approach that might have been the biggest reason why they would have been interested in Edmundson. So the need right now for a guy like Edmundson, who will certainly not be a game changer, has changed significantly. Honestly, I think Dreger is way behind the curve on this one. And while it is possible that they do end up looking at a guy like Edmundson if nothing else comes about I think the only way they would end up making that deal is if the price is very cheap or iof they have an injury on Wednesday.
Desharnais was crap last night. The defense is not good or they wouldn't be giving up 5 goals a night. They need defemsive defensmen

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Insanity.

I want Ekholm on the Oilers as much as anybody but this is an absurd overpayment.

Something like 2023 1st, Schaefer, Kulak, Yamamoto (local Oilers radio guy says that Nashville likes him), league minimum contract to even the cap and maybe an addition pick added in should be close I'd think.
As it is I think your proposal is an overpayment for Ekholm historically but Is probably what it would take today. The post you quoted was way over the top.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Edmundson is a bum and everyone knows it. Every person pumping his tires knows this and just wants to laugh at whoever pays a 1st just like they did with Chariot

A bunch of used car salesmen on this forum lol

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Edmundson is a bum and everyone knows it. Every person pumping his tires knows this and just wants to laugh at whoever pays a 1st just like they did with Chariot

A bunch of used car salesmen on this forum lol

Right? There has to be a grand canyon sized chasm between Ekholm and Edmundson. All they have in common is that their last names start with E and play defense.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If back issues are that much of a concern, I can see a deal packed with conditional pieces - Retained Edmundson for prospect X plus a 1st if he plays all the games this season (including playoffs), that pick becomes a 2nd if it is 75%, etc.

A 1st for Edmundson at any number of games played is way too much.

Not to mention tying those picks up with conditions prevents the Oilers from using them to get actual good defensemen.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
As it is I think your proposal is an overpayment for Ekholm historically but Is probably what it would take today. The post you quoted was way over the totop.
It meets the supposed asking price from poile (2 1st - a pick plus Schaefer plus manageable cap ballist to make it work). Kulak could be flipped elsewhere if we didnt want to keep him. Wouldnt be my ideal return but seems to fit the criteria of what poile wanted. Question is will edmontons gm do it? He seems to horde his 1sts

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
i mean you guys paid a 2nd for Kulak whos worst :laugh:
at the time I wasn’t happy with that deal but he actually did a pretty good job stabilizing the bottom half of the D on route to a conference final finish so I can’t hate too much on that one. Good example of a non-sexy but low key effective add

Edmundson is just a broken man at this point

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
i mean you guys paid a 2nd for Kulak whos worst :laugh:
You gotta take caphit and injury history into account. Edmundson has only played 63 (24 last season and 39 this season) of the last 141 Montreal games (82 last season and 59 this season). Thats going to generate alot of apprehension for paying a big price for him.

Reactions: EveryDay

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
at the time I wasn’t happy with that deal but he actually did a pretty good job stabilizing the bottom half of the D on route to a conference final finish so I can’t hate too much on that one. Good example of a non-sexy but low key effective add

Edmundson is just a broken man at this point
You gotta take caphit and injury history into account. Edmundson has only played 63 (24 last season and 39 this season) of the last 141 Montreal games (82 last season and 59 this season). Thats going to generate alot of apprehension for paying a big price for him.
Yes agree Edmundson has alot of back problems i personally think he retires early because of it its unfortunate because i do believe he would have landed us a good pick @ ( 50% ) if he didnt get injured but oh well hes back in the lineup tonight so maybe that helps

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Yes agree Edmundson has alot of back problems i personally think he retires early because of it its unfortunate because i do believe he would have landed us a good pick @ ( 50% ) if he didnt get injured but oh well hes back in the lineup tonight so maybe that helps
I think mtl would be best served to hang onto him till next deadline. If he stays healthy, you likely can get a 1st then. Right now, just too many questions

Reactions: EveryDay

Kelevra

Mar 6, 2007
Preds:
Ekholm

Oilers:
2023 1st
Puljujarvi
Broberg
Yamamoto or Bouchard
Anything more than a 1st for Ekholm is insane. His contract is pretty big for his age. We could get Chychrun for Broberg and a 1st whose cheaper younger and better than Ekholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad