Dreger: Oilers in discussions with Nashville about Ekholm & Montreal about Edmundson

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's a veteran. His value is what it is.

Not with the concerns about his back injury. He could come back then 10 games later be out for the year.

Savard is one of our only few RHD, Eddy is creating a logjam for the kids on the left side
Edmundson is awesome in playoffs, if a team want 2years of Eddy they'll pay an extra.

Eddy can play RD

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Thats a steep price.
Didnt hear about that.

I didnt lnow Holland could cit ties with Bouchard, but Im glad he find out.
San Jose is really enjoying thebsituation. Yeah, if they wont retain, throw in yamamoto as well then.
Grier is single-handedly screwing up this situation.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Would absolutely suck to see Ekky go but for the right price, I'm ready for it.

Dude is still a rock, you pair him with anyone and he can just absolutely carry that pairing. Fabbro and Carrier weren't mentored into the league by Josi, but by Ekholm.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Weber, Subban, Ellis all traded away just before they started to break down. They seem to get ahead of it.
Has to be something wrong with Ekhilm trade talks for Oilers to circle back to Edmunston. Because Ekholm is far and away the better player. Either Nashville wants too much or Oilers have a problem with his caphit.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I really don't know how much Edmunston has left. He's been either mediocre or injured this year. But there are stupid GMs so we never know....We got a first for Chiarot! lol

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
As a Habs fan, not sure this is the best time to move Edmundson.

I'd rather move Savard for a 1st. Moving Savard also helps the tank for the last 1/3 of the season.

Let Eddie get healthy and have value at next year's TDL.
Let it go dude, he or Matheson not getting traded. The quicker you understand the better it'll be on your nerves at the TDL.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Has to be something wrong with Ekhilm trade talks for Oilers to circle back to Edmunston. Because Ekholm is far and away the better player. Either Nashville wants too much or Oilers have a problem with his caphit.

1) It’s Edmundson.

2) You’re currently in a thread based entirely on two tweets by Dreger. They were literally minutes apart. You’ve already been told this, and you know it, yet you continue this “circling back” and “something wrong” stuff that was never in the tweets this thread was created for. It got super old the first time, let alone a day later.

Reactions: Guy Larose

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on price, but yeah. San Jose can sit with Karlsson and waste his prime and mood.

Karlsson's value in his 30+ years might not ever be as high as it is today or this summer. I believe he ages well but who knows. Doubt he can put up this level of production again next year and his value may take a nose dive as he gets older at the same time the Sharks are rebuilding with a meh roster for him to play within.

Sharks should set the price high but not too high to a point where they overshoot the market.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Surprised the Oilers never got McCabe?? A late first, 50% retained for two more years. He's hard nosed at modest caphit

Probably because the Oilers are waiting to see if Karlsson or others price tag goes down. He's likely got his hands on a few options and is grinding through them. Might work or it might leave them with no upgrades.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
3rd teams don't retain on long deals.

Agreed and if they consider it, the cost to get them to do it is high. Retaining past just a deadline is just not the same as a full season or multiple seasons.

The only issue with no retention is that it kills any chance of adding anything else. Are we going to win the cup if we make that deal for Karlsson and replace all of. Bouchard, JP and Yamamoto for league minimum? And how do we get a 3C?

What is your cap space if you send Barrie and Puljujarvi in the Karlsson deal? If the Sharks are saying no to Barrie as a cap contract but they are getting their futures, they are idiots. Heck, what is Barrie's trade value? Trade Barrie to another team and use the futures from that to help offset the cost for Karlsson?

What are he Sharks willing to retain? My guess is 25% max.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If they circle back to anybody after failing to pony up for Ekholm, then it really should be Gavrikov. That's the closest analog to Ekholm, and with just a $2.8M hit. Wanting a guy with term left isn't worth much if it's Edmundson who is more expensive AND a health risk AND far inferior. Just get Gavrikov in the door and see if you can woo him during the rental period. If he still wants to walk away in the summer, so be it, at least you gave it a real best effort. The summer UFA market might not be all that lucrative for players seeking big contracts, Gavrikov himself might be doing some "circling back" in the summer.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
All great points. That's why I'd make a garbage GM - too impatient and emotional lol.
Don’t get me wrong… there are plenty of good players, with term, and we should be making a move for one of them.

We just can’t spend multiple 1sts and futures for rentals or else we’ll be short assets next year and the year after when the buying will be good since we’ll have cap

Gaud

May 11, 2017
As a Habs fan, not sure this is the best time to move Edmundson.

I'd rather move Savard for a 1st. Moving Savard also helps the tank for the last 1/3 of the season.

Let Eddie get healthy and have value at next year's TDL.
I'd personally like to keep Savard and get Edmunson out. Granted, his value will be reduced by his repeated back problems, but Savard is doing amazing work with the kids and I think he does want to stay in Mtl. I believe that a speedy and successful rebuild requires you to keep positive role models within the team; this will help with setting up a culture within your team and save years on the rebuild, as those veterans can impart their experience in a way that is quicker than having a bunch of youths figure it out for themselves. That being said, Savard is in no way untouchable for me, but it will take an overpay to pry him out IMO

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Not with the concerns about his back injury. He could come back then 10 games later be out for the year.

Eddy can play RD
If back issues are that much of a concern, I can see a deal packed with conditional pieces - Retained Edmundson for prospect X plus a 1st if he plays all the games this season (including playoffs), that pick becomes a 2nd if it is 75%, etc.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If back issues are that much of a concern, I can see a deal packed with conditional pieces - Retained Edmundson for prospect X plus a 1st if he plays all the games this season (including playoffs), that pick becomes a 2nd if it is 75%, etc.

But the Oilers and other contenders need certainty. They should use their 1st on Chycrun, Gavrikov, Karlesson, or one of multiple healthy dmen - such as David Savard.

• Haha
Reactions: Guy Larose

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd personally like to keep Savard and get Edmunson out. Granted, his value will be reduced by his repeated back problems, but Savard is doing amazing work with the kids and I think he does want to stay in Mtl. I believe that a speedy and successful rebuild requires you to keep positive role models within the team; this will help with setting up a culture within your team and save years on the rebuild, as those veterans can impart their experience in a way that is quicker than having a bunch of youths figure it out for themselves. That being said, Savard is in no way untouchable for me, but it will take an overpay to pry him out IMO

I think Eddy is a good role model.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
But the Oilers and other contenders need certainty. They should use their 1st on Chycrun, Gavrikov, Karlesson, or one of multiple healthy dmen - such as David Savard.
I'd rather keep David Savard personally, but you do have a point abour certainty. That being said, the reasons teams are still kicking the tires is because Edmunson is exactly what teams want (when healthy) in terms of a D with size that can play physical in the playoffs. He also has the experience of winning a cup and leadership.

I think Eddy is a good role model.
oh dont get me wrong, i agree there. I just think Savard wants to stay in Mtl despite the rebuild. Eddy is a pro and wont say it, but i think he would be happier going for one more run at the cup

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd rather keep David Savard personally, but you do have a point abour certainty. That being said, the reasons teams are still kicking the tires is because Edmunson is exactly what teams want (when healthy) in terms of a D with size that can play physical in the playoffs. He also has the experience of winning a cup and leadership.

oh dont get me wrong, i agree there. I just think Savard wants to stay in Mtl despite the rebuild. Eddy is a pro and wont say it, but i think he would be happier going for one more run at the cup

I think Savard would be happier playing for a contender at this age, but won't say it publicly or let it show with the kids. But that's pure speculation on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad