Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Archie Henderson/Tyler Wright as Directors of Pro/Amateur Scouting

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Who should they have taken in each spot?

2018 - 8th overall - Zadina
Still looks like the right pick.

2017 - 7th Overall - Rasmussen
Played his rookie season last year.
Weak draft year, jury is still out. But the next 5 drafted players did not play many NHL games.

2016 - 20th Overall - Cholowski
Played 52 games last year as a rookie last year.
Followup players: Gauthier, Rubtsov, Borgstrom, Max Jones, and Tufte. Only Borgstrom played as many games.

2015 - 19th Overall - Svechnikov
Played a cup of coffee in the NHL last year.
Followup players: Eriksson Ek, Colin White, Samsonov, Brock Boeser (Probably the big miss that EVERYONE missed on).

2014 - 14th Overall - Larkin
This makes up for 2015 and THEN some.

2013 - 20th Overall - Mantha
Decent player
Followup players: Gauthier, Poirier, Burakovsky, Shinkaruk, McCarron.

If he did such a shoddy job? Then who should he have taken? He already STOLE Larkin.

Ist rounders are normally the GM's final pick, or in the case of Chiarelli and some others, the AGM's. The scouting list they work off of really starts outside the first round, and sometimes outside the second round. FWIW the Larkin pick was exactly where he was supposed to go. McKenzie had him at 12 and Bobo basically just offers an average ranking of his contact list. A great choice, but by no means particularly astute at 14.

The picks they win or lose at are outside the top 62.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Wright is an old boy 3 times over. Drafted by the Oilers. Worked for Holland as amateur scouting director. Worked for Howson in Columbus as amateur scouting director and development coach.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We have the 2nd smallest Scouting dept in the NHL right behind Arizona (who rely very extensively on a video-scouting dept).

We also have no European scouts, and 2 professional scouts (one of them doubled as an Amateur scout).

We could add another 5-6 more scouts to have an average sized scouting dept.

Just sayin I hope we don't give anyone 'the boot'.

Good post. Very Interesting. Where did you get this information by the way?

And good god this Oilers org is sad. Apparently we have an Owner who won't spare a dime when it comes to winning, yet we can't even find the time to hire more scouts. f***in sad.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Marcel

Sep 24, 2015
Archie Henderson begins his fourth season as a pro scout with the Red Wings. The former NHL forward has held similar positions with the Ottawa Senators and Washington Capitals. Henderson is responsible for identifying talent and working with Red Wings management regarding potential free agent acquisitions and trades and is based in the western United States and Canada.
Henderson, 61, played more than 15 professional seasons after originally being drafted by the Capitals. He made NHL stops in Minnesota and Hartford over three stints from 1980-83. The long-time minor leaguer is regarded as one of the toughest of his time, topping 200 penalty minutes seven times before retiring in 1988. The Calgary, Alberta, native's playing career was bookended by stops in Michigan breaking into the International Hockey League with the Port Huron Flags in 1977-78 and skating his final season in the same league with the Saginaw Hawks in 1987-88. The 59-year-old was also a teammate of Red Wings general manager Ken Holland when the pair suited up for the American Hockey League's Binghamton Whalers in 1982-83.

Archie played for the Victoria Cougars and against the big and tough New Westminster Bruin teams in the 70's

Wondered what happened to him

Was at a Cougars game with a girlfriend who later became an ex wife sitting beside the tunnel to the dressing room. As Archie walked by he spotted my girlfriend who he knew from when they both lived in Calgary so he stopped and in front of me asked my girlfriend out on a date.

In hindsight it might have been best if she had said yes.

He was a tough SOB but never thought he had much skill which goes to show the type of game played back then.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

And good god this Oilers org is sad. Apparently we have an Owner who won't spare a dime when it comes to winning, yet we can't even find the time to hire more scouts. ****in sad.
Read post 45..

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

And good god this Oilers org is sad. Apparently we have an Owner who won't spare a dime when it comes to winning, yet we can't even find the time to hire more scouts. ****in sad.

So which is it? You think the Oilers don’t have enough scouts based on Katz being cheap? Or not enough time?

Neither one makes sense.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So which is it? You think the Oilers don’t have enough scouts based on Katz being cheap? Or not enough time?

Neither one makes sense.
I think he just displayed he can't read a whole thread before forming an opinion.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
s-l500.jpg

I remember this hockey card!

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Archie played for the Victoria Cougars and against the big and tough New Westminster Bruin teams in the 70's

Wondered what happened to him

Was at a Cougars game with a girlfriend who later became an ex wife sitting beside the tunnel to the dressing room. As Archie walked by he spotted my girlfriend who he knew from when they both lived in Calgary so he stopped and in front of me asked my girlfriend out on a date.

In hindsight it might have been best if she had said yes.

He was a tough SOB but never thought he had much skill which goes to show the type of game played back then.

archie-henderson-08c5135b-3611-46c4-ac70-02e4f8b4e88-resize-750.jpeg

I can't imagine her saying no.

Was his nickname "Kid Gorgeous"?

Reactions: Supermassive

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

Neither one makes sense.

Not Katz being cheap cause he hasn't shown to be. Sh*t management and planning would be the cuprit, if they can't even match other teams resources in terms of scouting.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
80% of jobs in the world are given from past performance and or past relationships

Usually this is a key factor in giving anyone a job. Hires here seem to be solely on past relationships, completely disregarding past performance - that's what people mean by new OBC. Tyler Wright's performance record isn't good, he just has a past relationship with the new GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad