Confirmed with Link: Oilers hire Archie Henderson/Tyler Wright as Directors of Pro/Amateur Scouting

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good article on Henderson and how his philosophy on Pro scouting.

I found this especially interesting.....

Changing the Pro Scouting Landscape

Signing players to a one year deal virtually ensures that you will be getting the best out of that player.
So in this case thats 5 players that are very hungry.
So not only does it give the team an option next season it provides the players with an opportunity to play for their next contract which the team benefits from immediately.
Smart.

Do you have anything to back up this claim?

Worked with Chiasson. Certainly didn't work with Reider.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You dont think Bob Green was a huuuuge voice in that obscene trade? What a joke.
Bob Green was an embarrassment. He should have lost his job ages ago. Thank god his filth is gone from the Oilers.

His filth isnt actually gone.:laugh: He just has a new boss.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Do you have anything to back up this claim?

Worked with Chiasson. Certainly didn't work with Reider.

I never said it worked every time
Its not scientific....I am just basing it on my general observations of players over the years. Players that are playing for a contract are generally hungrier than a player that has the security of a multi year contract.
I think thats especially true with players that are on the bottom half of the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: MessierII

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Near as I can tell, he is a bit of cult hero in the Houston hockey scene. After walking away from the playing days in Houston, it didn’t take long for Wiseman to end up back in the arena when he was hired by the Dallas Stars in 2002. The man that added him to his staff as a video coach? The newest bench boss in Edmonton, Dave Tippett. So the connection makes sense, as Wiseman comes full circle with his Aeros teammate Tippett, after working as an assistant at Princeton and in Houston with the Aeros before landing in Michigan with the Wolverines since 2011.

Report: Oilers to add Brian Wiseman as assistant coach

gwiz999

Jul 18, 2013
Brian Wiseman Set To Be Hired As Assistant Coach By NHL's Edmonton Oilers

"Chatham’s Brian Wiseman will reportedly be behind the bench this season for the Edmonton Oilers, joining the team as an assistant coach.
Wiseman has served as a longtime coach for the University of Michigan Wolverines men’s hockey team.
He joins Dave Tippet on the Edmonton Oilers bench, who was recently hired by new Oilers general manager Ken Holland...

more at link.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Wings fan here.
Tyler Wright is a mixed bag.
I was always kind of surprised that he came over to such a big role in Detroit after not doing a ton on Columbus.
In Detroit, he had some success.

Larkin was a great pick at 15. But he was the top center on the board, and not really a surprise. (I think Detroit drafted five centers that year in an effort to find a replacement for Datsyuk and Zetterberg).
He also drafted Ehn in round 4. It's too early to say "he is what he is," because Ehn does show some flashes of skill. But most likely, if he sticks, it's as a 4th liner, PK cannon fodder player.

In 2015, the Wings went back to the wing and drafted Svechnikov. Hard to blame Wright for Svechnikov not panning out so far. At the same time, Svech took a massive step backwards in his second pro year and then got injured before his third year. Hard not to notice names like Hoeser, Konecny, Soslovic, etc later in that round. There doesn't appear to be much help beyond round one, either.

In 2016, the Wings traded down to 20 to dump Datsyuk's salary. It cost the Wings a chance to draft Chychrun or Fabbro. That's on Holland. And since he got a 2nd rounder for dropping five slots - good on Holland.
The Wings drafted Dennis Cholowski. They also get a second round pick and drafted Hronek.
Not a big fan of Cholowski in round 1, but honestly, the bottom 10 in that draft hasn't exactly lit it up. Wings fans would have a hard time questioning the selection of Hronek, though he's far from proven.
The wings also selected Givani Smith at 46. Yeah, Carter Hart (48) or Sam Girard (47) look great, but realistically, there wasn't much in this draft after Smith.

2017 was the draft that soured me on Wright. I didn't like Rasmussen at 9 or Lindstrom at 71. Kotkansalo wasn't impressive at 71. Zablocki and Gallant, also in round 3, were duds.
The thing that killed me were the comments Wright made comments about being 'bigger' and "harder to play against."
There wasn't a single "smallish/skilled Euro forward" in the group. And that's the Red Wings bread and butter.
For a team that needed skill.. that needed a couple homerun players... it was a terrible draft.

Even 2018, widely lauded as a major win for the Red Wings, has some questions. Was Zadina the right pick at 6? In an organization stocked on wings? In an organization needing centers and defense?
In a draft SUPER deep in defense?
To the Wings' credit, they also got Veleno, McIsaac and Berggren.

Wish I could say he was a hit or a miss.
But like most in the scouting business, it's a little of both.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Wings fan here.
Tyler Wright is a mixed bag.
I was always kind of surprised that he came over to such a big role in Detroit after not doing a ton on Columbus.
In Detroit, he had some success.

Larkin was a great pick at 15. But he was the top center on the board, and not really a surprise. (I think Detroit drafted five centers that year in an effort to find a replacement for Datsyuk and Zetterberg).
He also drafted Ehn in round 4. It's too early to say "he is what he is," because Ehn does show some flashes of skill. But most likely, if he sticks, it's as a 4th liner, PK cannon fodder player.

In 2015, the Wings went back to the wing and drafted Svechnikov. Hard to blame Wright for Svechnikov not panning out so far. At the same time, Svech took a massive step backwards in his second pro year and then got injured before his third year. Hard not to notice names like Hoeser, Konecny, Soslovic, etc later in that round. There doesn't appear to be much help beyond round one, either.

In 2016, the Wings traded down to 20 to dump Datsyuk's salary. It cost the Wings a chance to draft Chychrun or Fabbro. That's on Holland. And since he got a 2nd rounder for dropping five slots - good on Holland.
The Wings drafted Dennis Cholowski. They also get a second round pick and drafted Hronek.
Not a big fan of Cholowski in round 1, but honestly, the bottom 10 in that draft hasn't exactly lit it up. Wings fans would have a hard time questioning the selection of Hronek, though he's far from proven.
The wings also selected Givani Smith at 46. Yeah, Carter Hart (48) or Sam Girard (47) look great, but realistically, there wasn't much in this draft after Smith.

2017 was the draft that soured me on Wright. I didn't like Rasmussen at 9 or Lindstrom at 71. Kotkansalo wasn't impressive at 71. Zablocki and Gallant, also in round 3, were duds.
The thing that killed me were the comments Wright made comments about being 'bigger' and "harder to play against."
There wasn't a single "smallish/skilled Euro forward" in the group. And that's the Red Wings bread and butter.
For a team that needed skill.. that needed a couple homerun players... it was a terrible draft.

Even 2018, widely lauded as a major win for the Red Wings, has some questions. Was Zadina the right pick at 6? In an organization stocked on wings? In an organization needing centers and defense?
In a draft SUPER deep in defense?
To the Wings' credit, they also got Veleno, McIsaac and Berggren.

Wish I could say he was a hit or a miss.
But like most in the scouting business, it's a little of both.
Overall it's really tough to judge the whole scouting and developing of players.

We've seen some interesting things in Edmonton that would suggest it wasn't the scouts issues.

1. Nail Yakupov. Our OHL scouts were against picking him. Owner wanting Yak so we took him.

2. Jesse Puljarvi. Is it the scouts issue that the guy wasn't put in the proper situations to develop?

To this day I remember our old Director of scouting Stu MacGregor saying that his direction he was given for a draft was to find solid character players with leadership skills. So if all of a sudden you are told this, is it your fault that you are taking lessor players because the better players weren't good leaders?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So... how bout these hires by Holland... worked out well... :laugh:

Now that Wright's gone I wanted to get a sense of why Holland brought him over. He was a Player Development Coach for CBJ from 2007 to 2011, then transitioned to Co-Director of Amateur Scouting in CBJ for 2012-2013. Holland hired him to be Director of Amateur Scouting in Detroit in 2013 a month after the 2013 Draft, so he doesn't deserve credit for Detroit's pretty impressive 2013 draft, that honor goes to Joe McDonnel who had left Detroit for Dallas that same month. Wright was hired by the Oilers a month after the 2019 Draft, so I won't put Edmonton's 2019 draft on him either. Yzerman was already around before the 2019 draft for Detroit for nearly half a year and had already started to build his own management team, and I don't think Yzerman wanted Wright around, so I won't give Detroit's 2019 draft to Wright either.

So here's Wright's drafting Record as a Director. I'd only give Wright half credit for anything done in CBJ, since I have no idea how much actual pull Wright had while he was Co-Director and I don't know how Jarmo operates. For his years in Detroit, I'm putting that fully on Wright since he was the Director and watching how Holland operates, he gives his guys the reigns to do their job as they see fit. Wright definitely drove the bus when it comes to Drafting in Detroit and same can be said of his time in Edmonton.

CBJ 2012PlayerDraft PositionNHLer?
Ryan Murray
2​
Yes
Oscar Dansk
31​
No
Joonas Korpisalo
62​
Yes
Josh Anderson
95​
Yes
Daniel Zaar
152​
No
Gianluca Curcuruto
182​
No
CBJ 2013
Alexander Wennberg
14​
Yes
Kirby Rychel
19​
No
Marko Dano
27​
No
Dillon Heatherington
50​
No
Oliver Bjorkstrand
89​
Yes
Nick Moutrey
105​
No
Markus Soberg
165​
No
Peter Queeneville
195​
No
Detroit 2014
Dylan Larkin
15​
Yes
Dominic Turgeon
63​
No
Christoffer Ehn
106​
No
Chase Perry
136​
No
Julius Vahatalo
166​
No
Axel Holmstrom
196​
No
Alexander Kadeykin
201​
No
Detroit 2015
Evgeny Svechnikov
19​
No
Vili Saarijarvi
73​
No
Joren Van Pottelberghe
110​
No
Chase Pearson
140​
No
Patrick Holway
170​
No
Adam Marsh
200​
No
Detroit 2016
Dennis Cholowski
20​
No
Givani Smith
46​
No
Filip Hronek
53​
Yes
Alfons Malmstrom
107​
No
Jordan Sambrook
137​
No
Filip Larsson
167​
No
Mattias Elfstrom
197​
No
Detroit 2017
Michael Rasmussen
9​
Yes
Gustav Lindstrom
38​
TBD
Kasper Kotkansalo
71​
No
Lane Zablocki
79​
No
Zachary Gallant
83​
No
Keith Petruzzelli
88​
No
Malte Setkob
100​
No
Cole Fraser
131​
No
Reilly Webb
164​
No
Brady Gilmour
193​
No
Detroit 2018
Filip Zadina
6​
No
Joe Veleno
30​
Yes
Jonatan Berggren
33​
Yes
Jared McIsaac
36​
No
Alec Regular
67​
No
Seth Barton
81​
No
Jesper Eliasson
84​
No
Ryan O'Reilly
98​
No
Victor Brattstrom
160​
No
Otto Kivenmaki
191​
No

So giving Wright only half credit for his work in CBJ, I'd say he found around 9 NHLers in these 7 Drafts and he had 54 picks at his disposal. Larkin is probably the best pick he found, but was drafted right where he was rated. Hronek is probably the best pick value-wise, to find a legit Top 4 D in the 2nd round. I gave him credit for guys like Lindstrom, and Berggren even though they still might not make it.

Wright's had 4 drafts in Edmonton that he could have properly prepared for 2020 to 2023. Holloway is probably the only safe bet IMO of being an NHLer, he was also the highest pick Wright had in that time. Akey might be a steel. Overall, I'm not liking Wright's prospects.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
surely they can't be as incompetent as the stiffs we had before
The Oilers seem to do very well with some of the picks they made in the later rounds like Wanner, Desharnais, Tullio, Yevseyev, Petrov, Kesselring and the like, but they just can’t seem to find the guys after the 1st round that can be good stars for us like 4th rounder Horcoff in ‘98 and Mike Comrie in ‘99. Check out the drafts since ‘99 and you’ll see what I mean!! :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad