Rumor: Oilers/flyers trade.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
could be me...(oiler fan coming in peace)

I have been exchanging PMs with one of your mods for awhile about talk between Oilers and Flyers and they have been talking for awhile and talks always break down due to money.

Flyers guys Schenn*2 and Sean C make a combined 7.85
oilers guys make a combined Perron. Petry and Eberle make 13.75

meaning the flyers take on over 5mill in cap hit--they can not do it

I think (based upon something I got earlier) the flyers are trying to move Vinny L and one or both schenns for Eberle and either Petry or Schultz.

While the players mentioned sort of make sense--to make it work a third team will need to be involved to take on contracts

but that is just my opinion

Last summer I said Schennx2 plus a pick for Perron and Schultz. Luke Schenn has destroyed that. Not sure if we do a deal with the Oilers.

There were rumblings that Vinny nixed a deal that Hextall had done...and Edmonton was rumoured to be that team.

If we can convince Vinny to go, you do it. Vinny for Hendricks +4th. Boom, we have a SO guy, they get their C.

Last edited:

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
I would do schenns for Perron and petry. If couts is involved it better be a name like Ederle coming our way, or I am not gonna be a happy camper.

The last 3 flyers jerseys I bought are Richards, giroux and Couts. So if 2 out of the 3 get traded, I am gonna have to stop buying flyers jerseys due to bad luck.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Honestly, if Myers is available we should use the Schenn's to get him. He's exactly what this team needs. I really don't see the point of trading with the Oilers. And we know that Couturier getting moved isn't really an option.

exactly. I would add to get myers too, that is how important he would be to this team.

Myers Mdz
Coburn Macdonald
Streit Grossman

That is actually not bad at all.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
exactly. I would add to get myers too, that is how important he would be to this team.

Myers Mdz
Coburn Macdonald
Streit Grossman

That is actually not bad at all.

He would change everything. Our offense is very deep and we have Laughton sitting in the minors. It's a good value deal for Buffalo and a solution for the Flyers (short and long term). Right now there's not a big difference between B.Schenn and Scott Laughton.

AFTeRMaTH*

Schenns for Myers or Josi would be great. I just want to get the Schenns off this team. Even if Brayden progresses, how will he feel when we trade/cut/ Luke. He probably would be fine but who really knows. Neither of them have good hockey sense anyways. Now if we trade Couturier for anything short of a #1 type of a Seth Jones/Ryan Murray type then I might just have to find a new team. I can't take any more stupidity from this team and I can't imagine how bad are team would be without Couturier on it. He is basically our #1 dman lol.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
If we made a deal around Schenn for Myers, that would open up trading Coburn for that top line LW we need. It would also solidify the defense for the future since we could build around Myers.

What would it take to get Myers? Are the Schenn's enough? I'm guessing Buffalo would try to get our 1st out of us seeing as it may end up pretty high and I doubt Hextall bites on that.

AFTeRMaTH*

If we made a deal around Schenn for Myers, that would open up trading Coburn for that top line LW we need. It would also solidify the defense for the future since we could build around Myers.

What would it take to get Myers? Are the Schenn's enough? I'm guessing Buffalo would try to get our 1st out of us seeing as it may end up pretty high and I doubt Hextall bites on that.

If we got Myers I would certainly want to keep Coburn. Our defense and our team would be a lot better.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
If we got Myers I would certainly want to keep Coburn. Our defense and our team would be a lot better.

True, but moving Schenn leaves open a spot in the top 6 that we don't really have anyone to fill. Moving forward, our top 6 would (hopefully) look like:

XXX-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds

and who do we have to fill that spot? It's going to be expensive to fill unless we keep plugging it with guys like Raffl or Rinaldo (great choice, Berube) which aren't really long term solutions. Bellemare is intriguing but already 29 and I don't think top line material. Everyone wants to maximize Giroux's ability and the guys we have aren't really able to do that. Personally, I'd like to experiment for a dozen games or so with Simmonds in that spot (if we aren't gonna try Schenn, that is), he looks good enough on the left side on the PP.

Of course with that trade next year our defense could look like:

Myers - Coburn
AMac - Streit
Morin - Ghost

Which would be god damn sexy compared to this year. But I don't know that Coburn really fits into our long term plans, and if he doesn't, his value is high enough to fill that left wing hole moving forward.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Buffalo isn't going to trade for the Schenn's IMO.

They have Reinhart, Grigs and Girgs already as future C as well as Hodgson. Then add in the possibility of McDavid or Eichel this year.

I could be wrong because adding Myers would be a good move.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Buffalo isn't going to trade for the Schenn's IMO.

They have Reinhart, Grigs and Girgs already as future C as well as Hodgson. Then add in the possibility of McDavid or Eichel this year.

I could be wrong because adding Myers would be a good move.

On the one hand, I think you are right--they would seemingly prefer a winger.

On the other hand, Dreger reported that the asked for Larkin, a center, from Detroit, so who knows.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Maybe in 15-16.

This season trading for Myers would be so MacDonald doesn't have to form a dodgy first pairing with Coburn.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Why do people want Tyler Myers? He is a 24 year old right handed shot defenseman making a reasonable cap hit now with most of the big money already paid out. If he was good, does that sound like a player a franchise would trade?

I know Buffalo fans on the main board will say he isn't available except for a huge overpayment. Does Larkin plus Kindl sound like a huge overpayment? Something has got to be wrong with that guy. I don't watch enough Buffalo games to really know but I would be wary of giving anything of value to acquire him.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Why do people want Tyler Myers? He is a 24 year old right handed shot defenseman making a reasonable cap hit now with most of the big money already paid out. If he was good, does that sound like a player a franchise would trade?

I know Buffalo fans on the main board will say he isn't available except for a huge overpayment. Does Larkin plus Kindl sound like a huge overpayment? Something has got to be wrong with that guy. I don't watch enough Buffalo games to really know but I would be wary of giving anything of value to acquire him.

Myers has been very good for a very bad team.

That rumor was weird to be sure. I think the most likely explanation, which would be consistent with all previous reports, was that Buffalo wanted those two guys PLUS a 1st. Dreger didn't say that, but that that's what Murray has said all along--prospect, filler, 1st. I can understand why DET wouldn't give up their 1st.

The equivalent for us would be something like Laughton + L. Schenn/Grossmann (+ 1st). As much as I love Laughton, I'd do the deal without the pick (particularly if it was Grossmann), but I wouldn't do it with the pick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If they were tanking, yeah.

This a franchise that is paying Meszaros $4 million after he **** the bed for two straight seasons.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If they were tanking, yeah.

This a franchise that is paying Meszaros $4 million after he **** the bed for two straight seasons.

They are tanking with him already. They are by far the worst team in the league.

The NHL has finally caught to the NFL in how the league operates under the hard cap. Free Agency is dead. Great players don't hit free agency anymore because teams figure it is better to pay your own guys than overpay someone else. Young players are locked up in their prime and dumped when they are too old or too expensive. Nobody is trading promising young players on good deals because no one is going to give up cheap productive labor because it would cost more to replace them. The only players traded are those that are too expensive or lockerroom problems.

The last two productive players in their prime on reasonable contracts to be traded were Carter and Richards. Almost all the other trades have been money related or lockerroom related, which one could say was also Carter and Richards. So I don't see where Myers fits in unless he isn't very good. The Sabres would have to pay more money just to find a replacement for him and since nobody is really willing to trade excellent prospects anymore, who do they hope to get?

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
They are tanking with him already. They are by far the worst team in the league.

The NHL has finally caught to the NFL in how the league operates under the hard cap. Free Agency is dead. Great players don't hit free agency anymore because teams figure it is better to pay your own guys than overpay someone else. Young players are locked up in their prime and dumped when they are too old or too expensive. Nobody is trading promising young players on good deals because no one is going to give up cheap productive labor because it would cost more to replace them. The only players traded are those that are too expensive or lockerroom problems.

The last two productive players in their prime on reasonable contracts to be traded were Carter and Richards. Almost all the other trades have been money related or lockerroom related, which one could say was also Carter and Richards. So I don't see where Myers fits in unless he isn't very good. The Sabres would have to pay more money just to find a replacement for him and since nobody is really willing to trade excellent prospects anymore, who do they hope to get?

I don't disagree with much of that, but if Buffalo believes that they already have their future top four in:

Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk

then it starts to make a bit more sense.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I don't disagree with much of that, but if Buffalo believes that they already have their future top four in:

Zadorov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Pysyk

then it starts to make a bit more sense.

I get that but you yourself have said you need veterans to help guide the prospects. I would think their GM is smart enough to know that. Plus Buffalo is still going to have to spend to the cap floor. Tyler Myers is making less money than his cap hit this year: $5 vs $5.5. The remaining actual money paid out will be $5, $4, $3.5, and $3. So they will have to pay more money just to replace his cap hit. They will have to overpay a bunch of marginal NHLers like Florida does just to hit the floor since nobody wants to play for a loser team in an undesirable market.

Like I said, I don't watch a lot of buffalo games so I can't really comment on how he plays on the ice but as a business sense and seeing all the trends in the NHL, it makes zero sense to trade a player like him unless his performance does not meet his caphit. Or unless he has asked for a trade and or is a lockerroom cancer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad