Rumor: Oilers/flyers trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They are tanking with him already. They are by far the worst team in the league.

The NHL has finally caught to the NFL in how the league operates under the hard cap. Free Agency is dead. Great players don't hit free agency anymore because teams figure it is better to pay your own guys than overpay someone else. Young players are locked up in their prime and dumped when they are too old or too expensive. Nobody is trading promising young players on good deals because no one is going to give up cheap productive labor because it would cost more to replace them. The only players traded are those that are too expensive or lockerroom problems.

The last two productive players in their prime on reasonable contracts to be traded were Carter and Richards. Almost all the other trades have been money related or lockerroom related, which one could say was also Carter and Richards.

Neal and Hornqvist were both in their prime and on sweet deals.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Neal and Hornqvist were both in their prime and on sweet deals.

Neal was a lockerroom issue. Hornqvist was probably money in money out. Nashville is on a tight budget. Nashville didn't give up any promising young prospects on cheap deals.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Your claim in bold is still incorrect. Two teams swapped different types of wingers in a hockey trade.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Myers NMC kicks in this summer. My guess Buffalo's line of thinking is they don't want him to potentially come expandable in these next few years with the development of their young prospects & have to deal with him dictating the process.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Your claim in bold is still incorrect. Two teams swapped different types of wingers in a hockey trade.

Here's a little something about James Neal from a Pens fan at the time of the trade. Take it for what its worth much like the Carter and Richards stuff:
James Neal was flawed!!!!! First off when a player is sitting at Marios on the Southside or the Bottle Shop in Bridgeville getting hammered and looking for his college chick nightly hookup during the playoffs that shows what a self centered PUNK he is.. Secondly, if you actually were a sports reporter or had a clue you would’ve already knew what a cancer James Neal was in that dressing room.. His attitude towards some players was a big divider and it was also a contributing factor as to why Staal balked at the Pens long term contract offer. Yes Staal wanted to play with his brother, but Neal made that decision a little easier for Staal.. James Neal was also often surly toward the Pens medical/training/equipment staff.
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/6/...trade-pittsburgh-penguins-nashville-predators

Also Neal on the ice performance was very similar to Hartnell's: goals but bad penalties, questionable defense, and effort. So the Neal trade could of been as much of a hockey trade as the Hartnell for Umberger trade. Or the Richards and Carter trade.

So my bolden claim is actually a lie IMO because I don't think Carter and Richards were traded for hockey reason but lockerroom reasons. So I cant think of a single player moved lately without a money or lockerroom issue. Last trade I can think of without either of those two involved was the Erik Johnson for Stewart and Shattenkirk in 2011.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Maybe if Umberger had 8 points in 4 games. Hornqvist is a much better, much younger player.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Than Umberger. I know Neal's and Hornqvist's ages match.

Foligno and Methot is another example of a hockey trade of two guys in their mid 20s. At 47 point winger for a 20 minute a night dman. And both players made $3 million the season after they were traded.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Than Umberger. I know Neal's and Hornqvist's ages match.

Foligno and Methot is another example of a hockey trade of two guys in their mid 20s. At 47 point winger for a 20 minute a night dman. And both players made $3 million the season after they were traded.

Hornqvist is 9 months older than Neal. But in that case it didn't matter because he was the return for Neal as Neal was clearly the better player. So why was Neal made available? As far as Methot, he had just signed an extension for 4 years at 3 mil which isn't exactly cheap in 2011 for a 3rd pair defenseman and promptly had an injury plagued year that kept him out of the lineup for most of the season. That trade was actually very similar to the JVR for L. Schenn trade. So yes hockey trades do occasionally happen. That happened in 2012. Any more recent?

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Ryan was traded despite no lockeroom or money issues. Schneider was traded to NJ in a hockey trade. Jordan Staal. Sekera. Hartnell wasn't mainly about money, but rather getting away from bad penalties. Rick Nash. Gaborik.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Ryan was traded despite no lockeroom or money issues. Schneider was traded to NJ in a hockey trade. Jordan Staal. Sekera. Hartnell wasn't mainly about money, but rather getting away from bad penalties. Rick Nash. Gaborik.
Hartnell was all about the money. Hextall pretty much said that himself.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

They have basically the same cap hit with Umberger only having one less year on his deal. Penalties and positional discipline were issues with Hartnell. That definitely played into the trade.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Schneider was absolutely traded for money reasons. Vancouver had a ridiculous amout of money tied up in goaltending and someone had to be moved. Staal was moved because he wouldn't resign in Pittsburgh. So instead of money reasons I should of said contract reasons. Nash wanted out. Which Gaborik trade? Columbus to La was cause his contract was running out and they didn't want to resign him. Plus his caphit was huge at $7.5. Any trade involving a hit that big could be construed as a money issue. Sekera don't know.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So yes hockey trades do occasionally happen. That happened in 2012. Any more recent?

MDZ for Klein.

Downie for Talbot.

Vanek for Moulson, 1st, 2nd.

Gaborik+ for Brassard+.

Bishop for Conacher.

Nash+ for Dubinksy+.

Roy for Ott.

ericWONT

Ron Hakstol
Feb 7, 2014
Delaware/Philly

The Hartnell trade was more than that, depending on your perspective. RJ is way more disciplined, slightly faster, and the change in this position was a long time coming. I honestly think the trade was made just to stir up the locker room and make a change that could result in some offensive production.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
MDZ for Klein.

Downie for Talbot.

Vanek for Moulson, 1st, 2nd.

Gaborik+ for Brassard+.

Bishop for Conacher.

Nash+ for Dubinksy+.

Roy for Ott.

1st one hockey trade although Downies contract was coming up
Vanek was a soon to be UFA. He was not resigning in Buffalo. Contract.
Gaborik: $7.5 caphit on a cap strapped team.
Bishop was going to be a UFA and was not going to resign in Ottawa
Nash wanted out.
Roy was going to be a UFA.

So Nash and Gaborik are the only two trades that didn't involve a soon to be UFA at the end of the year and both carried an above $7 mil caphit. Brian Campbell was also a good player traded but he too had an above $7 mil caphit. Are you seeing a trend?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It also shouldn't be surprising to anyone that there aren't many examples out there of teams trading away perfectly good assets with no extenuating circumstances. That's not anything new.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
It also shouldn't be surprising to anyone that there aren't many examples out there of teams trading away perfectly good assets with no extenuating circumstances. That's not anything new.

Which is my point about Myers. He is young, on a good cap hit compared to others at his position with most of the real dollars already paid out, and a rare commodity being a right handed shot. Ristolainen and Pysyk are both right handed but neither are ready for top pair minutes. Makes no sense to trade him unless you think you are getting a drastic overpayment. They tried last year and nobody bit. Why push it again unless they know something about him the rest of the league doesn't or they think the rest of the league doesn't?

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Which is my point about Myers. He is young, on a good cap hit compared to others at his position with most of the real dollars already paid out, and a rare commodity being a right handed shot. Ristolainen and Pysyk are both right handed but neither are ready for top pair minutes. Makes no sense to trade him unless you think you are getting a drastic overpayment. They tried last year and nobody bit. Why push it again unless they know something about him the rest of the league doesn't or they think the rest of the league doesn't?

I'm not up on the Myers situation all that much, but is there anything out there that's implying that the Sabres are willing to sell low on him? They might just think he's an asset that could garner a return more in line with how their new management team wants to build their team. Murray didn't draft him, nor does he need to necessarily hold onto him to justify using a first round pick to take him.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Am I the only one here that is not too crazy about getting Myers?

Schenn+schenn is better than what Detroit offered so we should decline that deal

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Am I the only one here that is not too crazy about getting Myers?

Schenn+schenn is better than what Detroit offered so we should decline that deal

I'm with you. The guy has had one good season and has pretty much regressed every year he's played. I get that he's in Buffalo, but at the very least, you'd expect that he would continue to make some progress.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
I'm with you. The guy has had one good season and has pretty much regressed every year he's played. I get that he's in Buffalo, but at the very least, you'd expect that he would continue to make some progress.

He's a better defensive player now than in his Calder year, but his offensive production has dipped.

FWIW, Coburn followed a similar trajectory.

Schenn + Schenn is a reasonable price, but it we'd need to pick up a forward somewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad