Confirmed with Link: Oilers claim Brandon Davidson off of waivers

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Auvitu has been fine, actually pretty darn solid for a bottom pairing guy. The problem all season has been the Klefbom-Benning pairing and recently, it's more due to Benning's issues than Klefbom.

Yeah ....

The Oilers had two top-four defenceman on IR on the verge of returning. So they claimed Brandon Davidson on waivers. In all six games since Davidson has been back with the Oilers he has had more ice time than Auvitu.

Apparently the Oilers coaching staff don't share your view that Auvitu has been pretty darn solid.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I didn't mind it either, but if there's no space for Davidson when everyone is healthy, there's definitely no space for Auvitu.

Very good post. A simple way to explain why it makes more sense to try Davidson, or others, over Auvitu on the PP.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Davidson does need to work on his skating this summer. Maybe add some weight.

Then he may climb even higher on the depth chart.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Very good post. A simple way to explain why it makes more sense to try Davidson, or others, over Auvitu on the PP.
If Klefa is out, then you can try different guys, though if Sekera's back, you like have him on the 2nd unit and Benning on the first until Sekera is back up to speed.

"Worst case" the team can try Nurse (or Larsson) on the PP, because with Nurse's success should come an attempt at an expanded role.

Reactions: Aerchon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I didn't mind it either, but if there's no space for Davidson when everyone is healthy, there's definitely no space for Auvitu.

Davidson is a top 6 Dman on this team even when healthy. I've seen enough from him since he returned to know that I feel way more comfortable with him on the ice than Benning. Whether or not the coaches feel the same is another story.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah ....

The Oilers had two top-four defenceman on IR on the verge of returning. So they claimed Brandon Davidson on waivers. In all six games since Davidson has been back with the Oilers he has had more ice time than Auvitu.

Apparently the Oilers coaching staff don't share your view that Auvitu has been pretty darn solid.

He's a bottom pairing Dman so of course he's going to get limited minutes. I'm not saying that he should be in the top 6 when the healthy return, just that your assessment of how bad he's been is off IMO. When I say solid, I mean it in respect to his role as a #6/#7 guy.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Davidson is a top 6 Dman on this team even when healthy. I've seen enough from him since he returned to know that I feel way more comfortable with him on the ice than Benning. Whether or not the coaches feel the same is another story.
I can understand that, I think he and Benning will probably split time, but I think it's still Benning's spot to lose.

That said, if Davidson is a #7, that's a quality #7 defenseman and puts the Oilers in an excellent spot.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He's a bottom pairing Dman so of course he's going to get limited minutes. I'm not saying that he should be in the top 6 when the healthy return, just that your assessment of how bad he's been is off IMO. When I say solid, I mean it in respect to his role as a #6/#7 guy.

I said Auvitu is no good. When this team is healthy he is eighth or ninth on the depth chart. That's no good.

When healthy.

Likely top three : Klefbom/Larsson/Nurse
Fourth or fifth D: Sekera/Russell
Six D: Davidson
7D options: Benning and then Auvitu/Gryba

Reactions: Pressure

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I can understand that, I think he and Benning will probably split time, but I think it's still Benning's spot to lose.

That said, if Davidson is a #7, that's a quality #7 defenseman and puts the Oilers in an excellent spot.

I don't agree, why should it be Benning's spot to lose? Davidson has outplayed him pretty significantly and his minutes have bumped up as a result. With Sekera likely taking Benning's spot on the 2nd PP unit, I don't really see why he would be in the lineup in place of Davidson outside of being a righty.

Reactions: Pressure

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I said Auvitu is no good. When this team is healthy he is eighth or ninth on the depth chart. That's no good.

When healthy.

Likely top three : Klefbom/Larsson/Nurse
Fourth or fifth D: Sekera/Russell
Six D: Davidson
7D options: Benning and then Auvitu/Gryba

I don't disagree with your categories. I just don't think Auvitu has been as bad as you are saying he was.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't agree, why should it be Benning's spot to lose?
Because he's a RHD and because it's clear the coaching staff likes/trusts him. I like what Davidson has done since being back, but frankly he hasn't pushed Benning out of the line up in my eyes. I can understand you're point, but I disagree.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Because he's a RHD and because it's clear the coaching staff likes/trusts him. I like what Davidson has done since being back, but frankly he hasn't pushed Benning out of the line up in my eyes. I can understand you're point, but I disagree.

If Benning keeps making the gaffes he's been prone to making this year, I think that trust with the coaching staff will disapate. Not sure how long his leash is, but I think it might be best for him to sit a few, watch and reboot.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Benning keeps making the gaffes he's been prone to making this year, I think that trust with the coaching staff will disapate. Not sure how long his leash is, but I think it might be best for him to sit a few, watch and reboot.
The problem with Benning was that they thrust him into a role he clearly wasn't ready for at the start of the year and murdered his confidence. Anyone in their right mind could've forseen him failing at being a top 4 defenseman.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The problem with Benning was that they thrust him into a role he clearly wasn't ready for at the start of the year and murdered his confidence. Anyone in their right mind could've forseen him failing at being a top 4 defenseman.
Guys coming back pushing him into less minutes could be what he needs. He's still a young pro. How many guys can step into the top 4 after one season?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Benning is facing more top 4 competition than Auvitu. And looks significantly better in his own zone generally speaking. Plus also has a bit of offense himself...

He is having a few issues here and there but it's not like he is playing as bad as Klefbom was.

Imo Auvitu is a clear step down from Benning. Right now and overall certainly.

Auvitu needs to show more to unseat Benning from the lineup on any kind of regular basis. He and Gryba are our #7 and 8 and need others to falter before they get opportunities. Then they need to make the most of those opportunities.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Fair enough and unfortunately, I think you might be right that Benning keeps his spot because he's a righty which is the dumbest reason to keep a Dman on the roster over a lefty that is outplaying him but in fairness to Benning, he has been playing tougher minutes than Davidson.

I'm not saying that Benning shouldn't see the top 6 again this season when all are healthy but right now, he needs at least a few games off when Klefbom returns IMO. Davidson has really stabilized things back there.

@Aerchon I don't think anybody is advocating for Auvitu to slot in over Benning.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not many. I agree entirely with this point. He's a decent #6 for now. He shouldn't be playing more than that.
I think he could be a fine #5 for this club when we are healthy.

Especially considering his partner would be Russell. As much as some don't like Russell I think that if he's playing on your third pairing you have some pretty decent depth

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Fair enough and unfortunately, I think you might be right that Benning keeps his spot because he's a righty which is the dumbest reason to keep a Dman on the roster over a lefty that is outplaying him but in fairness to Benning, he has been playing tougher minutes than Davidson.

I'm not saying that Benning shouldn't see the top 6 again this season when all are healthy but right now, he needs at least a few games off when Klefbom returns IMO. Davidson has really stabilized things back there.

@Aerchon I don't think anybody is advocating for Auvitu to slot in over Benning.
I could see it shaking out that way, and for all we know Benning gets dealt down the stretch because he's sort of expendable. I think any struggles from Benning will make Davidson's insertion to the lineup a really easy call with the way he's played since coming back.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think he could be a fine #5 for this club when we are healthy.

Especially considering his partner would be Russell. As much as some don't like Russell I think that if he's playing on your third pairing you have some pretty decent depth
I'm fine with Russell/Benning as our third pairing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think Benning sticks as teams always battle injuries especially down the stretch when teams ramp their game up. Having depth on D is crucial. I can see a situation when Klefbom comes back that Benning and Davidson will be altering in as the 6th D with TMac running with one of them if one gets hot offensively or really steps their game up. Having the internal competition is also a good thing. Auvitu as well, makes a good depth player. The way our D have been dropping with injuries I would rather have too many D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad