News Article: Oilers at World Championships(McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Talbot, Maroon, Yak, Hendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Russia is dismantling team USA. The Americans have nothing. Its beautiful to see.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Russia is dismantling team USA. The Americans have nothing. Its beautiful to see.

That american team is really bad though. The only established quality NHLer they have is Nick Foligno. Most are just young kids with little to none NHL experience. Surprised they got past the czechs to be honest.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
That american team is really bad though. The only established quality NHLer they have is Nick Foligno. Most are just young kids with little to none NHL experience. Surprised they got past the czechs to be honest.
They got lucky against the Czechs, and Matthews had maybe his best game of the tournament. Not sure what happened against Canada cause I wasn't able to watch that game, but it does not bode well for the game tonight that Canada was barely able to squeak by this pitiful US squad. Russia was toying with them at all times tonight.

As for teal USA being young and inexperienced, oh well. I'm not shedding any tears for them when they can't get their players to commit to the tournament.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I like how TSN's lead video on their WHC page is entitled "McDavid, Hall, Talbot need to be big in gold medal game".

I'm surprised they didn't throw Hendricks, and Maroon in there for good measure.

Don't know why Perry, Duchene, and Marchand, don't have to be big.

Talbot will have to be big, like he was last game. If he wasn't sharp we would have lost it for sure.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Larkin is pretty darn good

Oh for sure, but still he only has 1 year of NHL experience. He's going to be really good player for many years but he's not quite there yet. Same with guys like Matthews and Hanifin. They're all 18-19 years old. You can't be dependent on those guys leading you to a championship.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
As for teal USA being young and inexperienced, oh well. I'm not shedding any tears for them when they can't get their players to commit to the tournament.

I just think for the sake of good hockey it's sad they don't have a better team. Sweden had an absolute garbage roster this year too. A tournament that normally isn't all that exciting got even less interesting when the normal powerhouse nations USA and Sweden can't field proper teams.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Mcdavid will show up today

The Oiler fan in me is convinced he'll be held pointless today.

I'd love to be wrong.

Talbot will have to be big, like he was last game. If he wasn't sharp we would have lost it for sure.

Yeah, goes without saying for the goaltending, it's just a little odd they included both Oilers, and not guys like Perry, Duchene, and Marchand when they have just as much, or more impact on the team.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I just think for the sake of good hockey it's sad they don't have a better team. Sweden had an absolute garbage roster this year too. A tournament that normally isn't all that exciting got even less interesting when the normal powerhouse nations USA and Sweden can't field proper teams.

It's just the nature of the tournament though. It's timed to take advantage of all the NHLers with free time who aren't in the playoffs, so by definition it will be missing a lot of the best players in the world. Because of that, it isn't taken as seriously as something like the Olympics and so many will sit out, especially if they have a nagging injury, even if it's playable. It also means that maybe players don't play quite as intensely as they could just to avoid injury, which might be what McDavid and other are doing.

So sure Sweden has had a rough roster to these things, but it's been just as bad for Canada too for a lot of years.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I like how TSN's lead video on their WHC page is entitled "McDavid, Hall, Talbot need to be big in gold medal game".

I hate TSN so bad, Ray Ferraro is at the top of the list. His anti-Oiler narrative is getting extremely old. Outside of that ******* Jeff O'Neil, there isn't anyone with a bigger hate on for the Oilers than Ferraro.

Case in point; after Canada blew the 2-0 lead he pipes up that McDavid and Hall, oh, and Perry (like he just realized he cherry picked the 2 Oiler forwards and needed to throw someone else in) need to be better (or something like that). Now there's not much argument that McDavid has struggled but the Canadian team is full of NHL veterans yet the 19 year old playing in his first championship is the guy that needs to pick it up?

TSN takes every shot they can at the Oilers to try and take the heat off their beloved Leafs, it's sickening.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
It's just the nature of the tournament though. It's timed to take advantage of all the NHLers with free time who aren't in the playoffs, so by definition it will be missing a lot of the best players in the world. Because of that, it isn't taken as seriously as something like the Olympics and so many will sit out, especially if they have a nagging injury, even if it's playable. It also means that maybe players don't play quite as intensely as they could just to avoid injury, which might be what McDavid and other are doing.

So sure Sweden has had a rough roster to these things, but it's been just as bad for Canada too for a lot of years.

Of course, I know that, but this year seems particularly weak compared to previous years. Last year Sweden had an exciting, if young, team with the likes of OEL, Klefbom, Klingberg, Ekholm, Forsberg and Loui Eriksson. Compare that to this year where it's mostly just guys playing in Europe. The americans didn't have a great team last year either but it was still better than this years version. Canada is such a deep nation when it comes to hockey so they always have teams that can match up with the best in this tournament. I mean last year Canada had an incredibly star-studded roster and this years roster is pretty strong too.

Jun 9, 2011
Then why the **** did they invite him in the first place? What's the point of inviting him, then publicly embarrassing him? If he isn't good enough to play, just don't freakin' invite the guy. I feel bad for him.
Yeah, seems odd. Like poor Hutton. Why hasn't he been in more games?

Finish media fella just interviewed says Finland has the advantage of playing more like a team. Yep.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Yeah, seems odd. Like poor Hutton. Why hasn't he been in more games?

Finish media fella just interviewed says Finland has the advantage of playing more like a team. Yep.

Hutton wasn't handled well either, but at least the coach didn't publicly humiliate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad