News Article: Oilers at World Championships(McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Talbot, Maroon, Yak, Hendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Last edited by a moderator:

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I would prefer he not.

With our luck, he'll get tripped by some random player from Peru, go crashing into the boards, separate both shoulders and break both ankles.

With our luck.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Unlike many here, I enjoy the World Championships and I'll be watching. Only difference for me this year is that I don't think whether guys like Hall, Eberle and Nuge participate will have any bearing on there performance next year. In the past I always felt it was important for them to go and have a winning experience. It couldn't have been more positive for Hall and Eberle last year winning and also getting to know Maclellan. Didn't change them. I hope McDavid can get more out of it.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I think if we loaded the Oilers with some useful vets would be great for their development. Extra playing time together!

Hall-McDavid-Eberle top line
Pouliot-RNH-Kassian third line

EDIT: And McLellan HC.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Awesome I'll be following the WC even more so than usual

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I would prefer he not.

With our luck, he'll get tripped by some random player from Peru, go crashing into the boards, separate both shoulders and break both ankles.

With our luck.

The kid already missed half a season of hockey, good luck stopping him if he gets offered a chance to play for anyone. Mcdavid lives and breathes hockey.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I will be following, hopefully away from all the bad media Hall, ebs, McD and who ever else goes can gel and get some chemistry going into next year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Rishaug tweeted that Sekera was playing for Slovakia, unsurprisingly.

You've have to think that Korpikoski and possibly Pakarinen for Finland. Maroon and possibly Fayne and Hendricks for the USA. Draisaitl for da Germans. And the Swedes seem to love Lander, so there's always that possibility.

For Canada, beyond McDavid, probably Eberle and Talbot. With possible Hall and Nuge.

I wonder about Yak for the Russians.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

You've have to think that Korpikoski and possibly Pakarinen for Finland. Maroon and possibly Fayne and Hendricks for the USA. Draisaitl for da Germans. And the Swedes seem to love Lander, so there's always that possibility.

For Canada, beyond McDavid, probably Eberle and Talbot. With possible Hall and Nuge.

It's going to be interesting to see who goes as a whole this year. I was reading an article about how with the World Cup we are going to see a lot of guys skipping the worlds which will result in a lot of unknowns playing.

I think the article I was reading was about a college signing potentially playing for USA.

As for Yak who knows. Would sure be nice, but I really don't know. And it's not who knows based on Yak, it's more a who the hell knows what Team Russia is going to do with selection process. I don't know that they always put the best team forward and lean towards KHLers when they shouldn't.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's going to be interesting to see who goes as a whole this year. I was reading an article about how with the World Cup we are going to see a lot of guys skipping the worlds which will result in a lot of unknowns playing.

I think the article I was reading was about a college signing potentially playing for USA.

As for Yak who knows. Would sure be nice, but I really don't know. And it's not who knows based on Yak, it's more a who the hell knows what Team Russia is going to do with selection process. I don't know that they always put the best team forward and lean towards KHLers when they shouldn't.
With the US, wouldn't surprise me at all, plus they have young guys like Hanifin, Eichel, etc will be going. However I could still see Maroon there, especially with the strong finish to the season. Hendricks was a Captain before. Fayne I doubt just because there will be better options.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
I would be shocked if Hall and Eberle arent invited.

Sounds like hockey Canada are dangling the "if you dont play at worlds and your a bubble player you wont get selected for world cup team"

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hall fighting for one of the World Cup roster spots maybe motivates him to go?

I would think so myself, but if he's more banged up then we realize or what not, I could see him taking a pass. Never hurt Capt "Can only show up for one of these" Jarome Iginla.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Unless they are injured they should go, end of story. Don't think these guys don't enjoy ending on a high note rather than the stink that the oilers have been again this year.

They had a good time and won last year so if they don't show up this year other than injury reasons then I'll just shake my head like I did two years ago when they all turned it down.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

With that said, Sekera takes a shot and McDavid blocks and he gets injured.

Or, if Klefbom is playing he gets injured despite not even on ice for either teams

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
McDavid, Eichel and Matthews in the same tournament is kinda cool. I know it happened in the world juniors last year but now all three have played, and excelled, in a pro league against men. This could really turn into a show between the three of them. Will also be cool to see if Matthews looks better than Eichel, considering how people have pumped his tires lately. Anyway, always happy to see more McMagic :)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
With the US, wouldn't surprise me at all, plus they have young guys like Hanifin, Eichel, etc will be going. However I could still see Maroon there, especially with the strong finish to the season. Hendricks was a Captain before. Fayne I doubt just because there will be better options.

With Hendricks who knows. I mean if he isn't invited he strikes me as a guy that would just go anyway if he wants. On the other hand I really don't know what is left of his body at this point. I know his wife is okay with it and has learned to deal with it, but maybe she pulls rank this time.

DethOfDragnz

Sep 22, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I am always excited to see Canada play at this tournament. More so this year with no Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs. I am hoping that I can find some streams from the AHL I'd like to see if the Toronto Marlies can win the calder cup. It is unlikely that team Canada will be as good as last year and it is doubtful they will win another gold but I will still be cheering for them. I wonder if Eberle and Hall are going to join McDavid this year? It'd be cool to see 3 of the Oilers top players on there maybe even on a line together? McDavid has been about a point a game player in the NHL and if he can bring that magic to the Worlds we could see something great.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
World Championship is a joke. It's not a true championship. I wish Canada would not send a team there.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012

Oddly enough, there was a Russian blogger who made a case for Yakupov. but I seriously doubt he gets considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad