News Article: Oilers at World Championships(McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Talbot, Maroon, Yak, Hendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Jeez why the hate. He's had a poorer supporting cast than Crosby in every match-up except debatably this year. I mean Crosby had Malkin Conn Smythe Winner. OVie had Semin = not in NHL. Team Russia vs Team CAnada is a joke. CAnada had Subban as a spare defenceman while Russia had Dennis Grebeshkov in the lineup.

Don't get the Ovie hate ever he's fun to watch and had a great passion for hockey before the boring Canadians sucked the life out of him. He's still a generational talent that is unmatched with his goal scoring in todays modern dead puck era. Only reason people hate is zenophobia I presume. If his name was David Smith he'd be a God.

Ovechkin has been on two President's Trophy winners, another #1 seed, and numerous higher seeded teams in the NHL playoffs and never been past the 2nd round. Each time he faced Crosby in the playoffs the Capitals were the higher seed. He plays on a line with Backstrom, and numerous other 50+ point wingers.

As for the Olympics, Russia went into the 2010 Olympics as the co-favorite. Yes, Canada steam-rolled them 7-3 in the QF, and yet that doesn't change how equal the teams were considered before the match-up. Despite being the hosts in 2014, I agree that Russia didn't have much of a chance that Olympics. Nonetheless, to say Ovechkin has not had the team to win the big team championships is not true.

Ovechkin is a great offensive player who will be in the HHOF one day. His goal scoring numbers and individual awards demonstrate that. Let's not pretend, however, that he has always been a strong player on underdog teams. He has been part of some pretty strong Capitals teams that have failed repeatedly in the playoffs and in the 2010 Olympics.

On topic, close win for Canada. Nice to win despite playing poorly, and they'll need a better effort against Finland to win repeat gold.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Stay far away from Dumba Oilers . Would not mind us making a pitch for Ellis he is real good at keeping puck in the zone on PP think he would help us.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I wonder how many of TSN's Leaf lackeys were pissed Canada won. Can't continue hyping Matthews lol

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Stay far away from Dumba Oilers . Would not mind us making a pitch for Ellis he is real good at keeping puck in the zone on PP think he would help us.

Ellis would be a really nice pick up, he's been building a solid career for himself so far, comes from a good system and is still young. Have no idea what it would take from Edmonton's POV to get him. Nashville has thinned out on D and probably wants to keep what they have unless someone is overpaying.

As for Dumba... no thanks. I think Chiarelli is smart enough to steer clear.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I thought Hall and McDavid had strong games.

I personally thought Duchene played terrible.

Dumba had a decent last couple games. Wouldn't mind him on The Oilers but only as a #6. Hope we can find someone much better but beggers can't be choosers.

Most the team collapsed and Talbot won that game.

No way we win gold if we play like we did today.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Dumba is still so young though. Ellis was not all that great 4 years ago either.

Also, after trading Jones I doubt Nashville would consider trading Ellis. Dumba might actually be for sale.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

I'm not a Dumba fan he's not a particularly bright player, but the skills are there to be something more and every once in a while he uses them to shine, people wanting to add him to our top 4 are crazy, as a project 3rd pairing d-man though does have the potential to pay off.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Ryan Ellis looks to be a top pairing defenceman. I'm very surprised. I wonder if Nashville would consider trading him for more offensive help.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Ryan Ellis looks to be a top pairing defenceman. I'm very surprised. I wonder if Nashville would consider trading him for more offensive help.

By his numbers, Mattias Ekhom isn't far from that either. They must have something in the water down there. One of them has to shake free eventually.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

He scored a goal on a slapshot against New Jersey's backup goalie playing for a neutered US team. He's an impressive player for a smaller guy, but calling him a top pairing defenseman is a bit of a stretch is it not?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

I dunno about that.

I'd argue he is a top 4 dman, but he is no top pairing guy.

If he is a top pairing, Klefbom Davidson and Sekera are top pairing guys.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'm not a Dumba fan he's not a particularly bright player, but the skills are there to be something more and every once in a while he uses them to shine, people wanting to add him to our top 4 are crazy, as a project 3rd pairing d-man though does have the potential to pay off.

Trade Nurse for him.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I dunno about that.

I'd argue he is a top 4 dman, but he is no top pairing guy.

If he is a top pairing, Klefbom Davidson and Sekera are top pairing guys.

I agree. He'd be great on the 2nd pair with Sekera.

Klefbom - ?
Sekera - Ellis
Davidson - ?

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I like Nurse a LOT more, wouldn't even consider it. Yak+ filler for Dumba I would consider.

No interest at all in Dumba. Yak + 32 for Brodin I am cool with because I think he can eventually play a smart shut dow role like Tanev.

The Wild can keep Dumba. He'd get run out now town here.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I like how TSN's lead video on their WHC page is entitled "McDavid, Hall, Talbot need to be big in gold medal game".

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I like how TSN's lead video on their WHC page is entitled "McDavid, Hall, Talbot need to be big in gold medal game".

Well the bright spot is identifying those guys as needing to have big games to win gold means that they consider them critical players for team Canada's success. Hall and Stone have been Canada's two best forwards IMO, they should be beyond criticism, regardless of today's outcome, but I'm hoping all 3 of our guys do come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad