News Article: Oilers at World Championships(McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl, Talbot, Maroon, Yak, Hendo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The reason why many dislike the world championship is because the nations don't field the best lineups possible.

If some people dislike it then they could simply ignore it, but in the end many still end up in these threads arguing back and forth.

You often don't see the best possible line-ups, even in "best on best" tournaments. Last Olympics Sweden fielded a line-up without H.Sedin, Zetterberg and Backstrom in the final game and instead used Marcus Kruger as their 1C. Talk about not fielding the best possible line-up.

Honestly, look at last year's team Canada:
Hall, Duchene, Giroux, Mackinnon, O'Reilly, Crosby, Spezza, Seguin, Ekblad, Burns.

Boooooh, no Weber, Doughty, Toews or Stamkos. Not worth watching...

I have a hard time understanding why people cannot either enjoy the tournament or just ignore it if it bothers them so much.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well after the scandal in Russia, one really has to wonder how many KHLers can not make the World Championship/World Cup. Could be an opportunity for Yak.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
If some people dislike it then they could simply ignore it, but in the end many still end up in these threads arguing back and forth.

You often don't see the best possible line-ups, even in "best on best" tournaments. Last Olympics Sweden fielded a line-up without H.Sedin, Zetterberg and Backstrom in the final game and instead used Marcus Kruger as their 1C. Talk about not fielding the best possible line-up.

Hall, Duchene, Giroux, Mackinnon, O'Reilly, Crosby, Spezza, Seguin, Ekblad, Burns.

I have a hard time understanding why people cannot either enjoy the tournament or just ignore it if it bothers them so much.

Well said! If you don't want to watch it why spoil it for everyone else. We all know who is there and who isn't. Big deal! Every country is missing some top players - so what? If you don't want to watch then don't. But quit the Captain Obvious routine and go watch something else. /rant

NOTE: This was not directed at anyone in particular, but the all too common sentiment that this tournament is pointless because some players aren't playing in it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Up in the air. If anyone can encourage Connor to shoot more, it is Sid.

Is it really an issue? Seems that he does shoot quite a bit. I mean playing with Sid he'll learn a lot of little things, I just don't think there is really something he has to change at this point.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Is it really an issue? Seems that he does shoot quite a bit. I mean playing with Sid he'll learn a lot of little things, I just don't think there is really something he has to change at this point.

Yeah, I don't see him passing up many opportunities to shoot to be honest. It's not like he's Hemsky out there.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Hope he doesn't go. Too much risk of injury at that thing. Lots of head hunters at that tournament (and on the international scene in general).

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Hope he doesn't go. Too much risk of injury at that thing. Lots of head hunters at that tournament (and on the international scene in general).

I want McDavid to go because I just want to watch him play over the summer...well a few weeks, but I do understand the whole head hunting thing. So many players do stupid **** like that in these international tourneys just to make a name for themselves.

Sounds weird but it's true.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Maybe we'll get to further the Hall-McDavid experiment again in a meaningless tournament.

Unless Canada does the Hall-Crosby pairing again

I doubt Sid ever goes to that tournament again. for this year I'd like to see a Hall Tavares line. once J.T.'s season comes to a close that is. I doubt the Isles make it past the 1st rd. and Ebs can stick with McD and whatever other lucky SOB they can place there to take sweet feeds from the Mcgifted one.

I'm expecting McDavid to lead that tournament in scoring.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I doubt Sid ever goes to that tournament again. for this year I'd like to see a Hall Tavares line. once J.T.'s season comes to a close that is. I doubt the Isles make it past the 1st rd. and Ebs can stick with McD and whatever other lucky SOB they can place there to take sweet feeds from the Mcgifted one.

I'm expecting McDavid to lead that tournament in scoring.

I don't see why Crosby wouldn't go back in his career. But I agree he wont go this year. I don't know if anyone who has already been named to the World Cup team will go, Tavares included.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I don't see why Crosby wouldn't go back in his career. But I agree he wont go this year. I don't know if anyone who has already been named to the World Cup team will go, Tavares included.

Well, Tavares has said numerous times that he would never turn down an invite to represent his country internationally. Of course, the gimmicky NHL pre-season exhibition tournament throws a few wrinkles into the mix, but I'm just going on his original statement and keeping fingers crossed.

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I don't understand the hate for the WHCs. It is elite level hockey with many of the worlds best players. It isn't the Olympics, but if all hockey competitions had to be "best on best" why the **** have people been watching the Oilers for the last 10 years?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006

It's a discussion.

The narrative from Europeans is that it has more worth and weight than it actually does. As long as that narrative continues, expect a counter-point. It's the reality. The rosters aren't as good as the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad