Dreger: Oilers & Arizona progressed in talks for Jake Chychrun. In Talks about Gavrikov & Ekholm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Agreed. He only makes 4.5m for the next 2 years and you just cleared out 3M. A roster dump makes the cap work, now it's just figuring out the price. Holland has essentially said Broberg is untouchable but I feel that's the guy Arizona will target.

What a coincidence, Edmundson makes 3.5 mil..

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is starting to have the feel of a situation where the focus is split and they've got too many irons in the fire...trying to negotiate the "best deal" among 3-6 totally different options. Then ultimately end up without a deal in place when the deadline comes and the music stops, and they don't have a chair. End up not actually addressing the glaring need for defensive help.

But i guess we'll see. Can't fault them for feeling out all of the available options. But at some point, it seems like you should probably identify a primary target and go hard after it.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
If the Oilers do not at the very least acquire Chychrun or Karlsson then Holland should definitely lose his job

Reactions: Coffey

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Oilers should probably go for Chrychun over the others because they are soft. Played them last week. Could tell. they not going to be around playoffs long unless massive move. However, Ekholm probably better in a way as their goaltending looked questionable. But his extra 2 million per is factor also. They other guy is their third option, he's per rental and still costs a first in stacked draft.
If the oilers are soft they should be going after Gavrikov, not Chychrun.

The dude won defensive MVP at the WJC without scoring a single point.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Remember if we do want to strike a deal with Chychrun with a team like Columbus we can do so after the trade deadline. That only matters for players who can play in the playoffs.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Remember if we do want to strike a deal with Chychrun with a team like Columbus we can do so after the trade deadline. That only matters for players who can play in the playoffs.

Why would you take all the teams willing to spend big out of the market before a trade?

If it's not at deadline is at draft.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why would you take all the teams willing to spend big out of the market before a trade?

I'm just pointing out that AZ and Columbus can work something out post Friday if they wish.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Would they be shutting down Chychrun for rest of the season because I just don't see him playing another game for ARI after this

How many teams are in the market for a big name D-man like Chychrun, Gavrikov and Ekholm other than Edmonton?
Washington is apparently in on Chychrun as well

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
How many teams are in the market for a big name D-man like Chychrun, Gavrikov and Ekholm other than Edmonton?

Pretty much just Edmonton, tbh.

It's weird. Normally everyone wants defence and no one is trading it. And this year everyone has defence and no one is buying it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Pretty much just Edmonton, tbh.

It's weird. Normally everyone wants defence and no one is trading it. And this year everyone has defence and no one is buying it.
I am honestly surprised Edmonton has not gone big at Chychrun. He, on paper, is someone who should help them right away and for the next 2 seasons.

Unless the concern is with his injury history that teams are not feeling comfortable enough meeting the asking price.

Reactions: SaltyElkHunter

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I am honestly surprised Edmonton has not gone big at Chychrun. He, on paper, is someone who should help them right away and for the next 2 seasons.

Unless the concern is with his injury history that teams are not feeling comfortable enough meeting the asking price.

I also think people are a bit weary of Chychrun's attitude.

There's some weird smoke there. He hasn't played for 3 weeks which seems... Excessive.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Kind of smart by Edm. A lot of teams traded their 1st already so are kind of out in the JC sweepstakes. Edmonton now can circle back with less competition and less bidding wars. Or they'll just end up with Edmunstin when all is said and done lmao

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
But that's not his call, right? More to do with the management. I do think he hit the ice today for practice.

Idk the details. Just saying Stauffer has had me glued to Oilers now for weeks for trade deadline, and like I think I've heard every Insider in the league mentions it's a concern.

That's not to say there is a fire there, but there is smoke.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
If the Oilers do not at the very least acquire Chychrun or Karlsson then Holland should definitely lose his job

WTF?

Both SJ and Arizona seem to be asking insane prices that are keeping all the other teams away. Should the Oilers be the one team, with no sense, to pay those prices?

Making a deal for the sake of making a deal is nuts. Especially when the Oilers should be focusing more on acquiring actual defence and not more offence.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Nemesis Prime

Jun 29, 2010
London, ON
They should 100% get one of Ekhlom/Chychrun, but I'm going to die laughing if their TDL acquisition is Gavrikov
This is what's going to happen. A bunch of tire kicking on the better guys, buying on Gavrikov like "well we tried yanno, tough market out there." It's the classic Kenny play.

Reactions: Nowotny
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad