Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3, Wild 2

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ironic thing is Brossoit probably stops both Dumba goals today but gives up another 4 on different shots.

I think I saw some high/low danger stats on LB that showed he was good in close on high danger shots, but terrible at the routine stuff. Actually does seem like a case where if he worked on fundamentals he could end up being NHL quality, but he certainly isn't there yet.

Reactions: A91

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He struggled more than he ever did here, but he was far from the disaster that some Habs fans painted him as. He had some bad luck (****ty goaltending), and got some tough breaks, but overall he played the same brand of what I'd call quiet defense that he's consistently shown here. The Habs making another poor roster choice isn't a shock to me, at all (I can't believe Buffalo didn't jump at the opportunity to pick him up, though).
Like you said, it's his calming presence, I'm mostly impressed with, never seems to put any pressure on himself

Just heard on CHED that Davidson was asked how his comfort level being back in Edmonton has affected his play?

Davidson's response..."Attitude is everything".

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Glad to hear the Oil won. I snuck into the office and had the game playing on our work computer for the last ten minutes. Can’t wait to get home and watch it in fast forward.

When we get all our d healthy, this is what I’d like to see:
Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Russel
Klefbom-Davidson (with Benning subbing in occasionally)

I know Nurse and Larsson had some issues, but I think when Sekera gets up to speed his pairing will be able to spell some of their heavy lifting. If Klef ever finds his form again I’d drop Russel down to the bottom.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I'd prefer Benning in Bako and Auvitu 7D/press box.

Better for the present and for Benning's long-term development.

Agree completely, but I just don't see Todd doing that. I really think Benning should go down and work with a skating and fitness/strength coach in order to give him a bit more speed as he badly needs it. Would also improve his confidence in his puck moving skills if he's given top-pair minutes in Bako as that would give him more opportunity to work on his breakouts knowing that there's not NHL games on the line. It would allow him to take more chances and bring out whatever offensively creativity he has within him.

Last edited:

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
JP on pace for 31 goals over 82 with zero PP time and 13 minutes a night of ice time. Kid's massive and already plays a solid 200 foot game. He's also figuring out that when he decides to park in front of the net there's not much anyone can do about it.

He's going to be a key cog on this team for a long long time.

Everybody can tell Pulju is soon gonna be the team's second best player... well everyone exept that Silver hair guy :/

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think I saw some high/low danger stats on LB that showed he was good in close on high danger shots, but terrible at the routine stuff. Actually does seem like a case where if he worked on fundamentals he could end up being NHL quality, but he certainly isn't there yet.

He's well above average athletically, which is why I think the Oilers are so loathe to give up on him. It's the mental and foundational aspects of his game that need a lot of work, and he may or may not ever come around on those.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Just heard on CHED that Davidson was asked how his comfort level being back in Edmonton has affected his play?

Davidson's response..."Attitude is everything".

Thanks., that's how I kinda read it., not motivated = poor attitude. Maybe he was jerked around here. I know he was a healthy scratch on several occasions

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Thanks., that's how I kinda read it., not motivated = poor attitude. Maybe he was jerked around here. I know he was a healthy scratch on several occasions

I never wanted to see him leave and man the Oilers sure got lucky getting him back for nothing.

Reactions: ToddsBod

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Davidson is definitely on a bit of an adrenaline high since returning to the Oilers. Similar to the way teams always play better when there is a mid season coaching change.

Not that I dislike him or anything but he won't continue to look this good forever.

Or maybe he will. :D

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Good effort by the Oilers.

Few things in this game though:
- Afternoon game and in Minnesota. And we won?
- The PP is so awful. How they just keep throwing the same players out and doing the same plays just baffles me. Quit forcing it down low. Why not try JP on the PP, I dont get it.
- This team really struggles to get the puck out of their zone. Blind wrap arounds. Why does it seem like they can never get any zip on the pucks when they ring it around the boards.
- Why does JP only get 9mins of ice time? He played the least amount of any oiler. The coaching staff needs to put players in a position to succeed. Give him some PP time ...
- Davidson is such a huge upgrade on Gryba and allows Auvitu to play his game.
- Maybe Maroon should sit for a game. Why is Cagguila in the lineup over Slesphev?.
- Talbot looked calm and collected in net. So much easier to watch.

Reactions: FiveFourteenSixOne

TennisBalls

Jan 14, 2013
Manhattan
Davidson always liked being an Oiler. When his name was being thrown around as a the most likely Vegas expansion pick, he began to somewhat buy into the idea of it. He welcomed it as an opportunity and the idea of living in Vegas also wasn’t the worst thing. Being sent to MTL came as a bit of a surprise and I think it somewhat played into his psyche. With all that settled he for sure is pumped to be back.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Pretty sure that's very common for young goalies.

Reactions: guymez

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
While this win was a forgone conclusion with their ongoing win-lose-win-lose cycle... still nice to see the 2 pts up on the board... especially vs a team they are chasing for a conference wildcard spot.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pretty sure that's very common for young goalies.

Don't doubt the inconsistency with handling the routine saves piece is common with young goalies. I would think being a good amount above average with high danger saves is not as common though. Not my attempt to pump LB's tires just to note :) Was just surprised to see he is excelling at that aspect of his game, and since we seem to be sticking with him, gives a little hope that he could become a solid backup if he can find that consistency and clean up his fundamental play.

Reactions: nabob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Davey is getting so solid and consistent every game, I'm going to start expecting this from him.

Lurch had his best game of the year, IMO.

When the other injured D come back, Benning has to be the one rotating in and out for sure. The defence is much, much better with Davidson in these days, but Benning is the weak spot now, not Gryba. Actually, that's a huge upgrade on supposed weakspot.

McDavid didn't have his A game today, but we won, and that is always encouraging. The captain's B game is usually as good as most players top game.

Talbot didn't have to make any huge saves to get the W, but he made all the ones he is supposed to make. Maybe if he is on the absolute peak of his game, he stops one of those Dumba shots, but they were bang bang. Nice to have a steadying presence in net.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
While this win was a forgone conclusion with their ongoing win-lose-win-lose cycle... still nice to see the 2 pts up on the board... especially vs a team they are chasing for a conference wildcard spot.

Is it good enough for a lighter shade of black avatar? :D

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Good win

Still have no idea how this turned into a goal:

View attachment 88407

2 D back and a forward back. Opp gets the puck standing still on the boards, only 1 other opp in our zone (whos covered). Opp D trailing but we have a backchecker.

For whatever reason Russell rolls out the red carpet for granlund and just doesnt challenge him in the least bit. Letestu doesn't slow up Dumba when he moved the puck off the board around him. Cagguila fails to take Dumba then after. Its a bad positional goal featuring the infamous Russell red carpet

Go whine somewhere else.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Solid road win, all that, take the 2pts and get out of dodge but just inexplicable coaching decisions continuing and starting with the lines anywhere after the 1st line. Plus that we scratch Slepy WTH, and play Caggiulia and Strome and Khaira ahead of him. I don't get it.

Drai gets a point on the one EV shift he has had in several games where he's spared playing with Strome and Khaira. I'm sure he'll be back with them for much more punishment.

Speaking of which Khaira has the puck inside his own blueline, all he has to do is move the puck out or skate it out. Instead he's caught in some kind of quicksand, gets stripped from behind (my lord) and Wild sustain another minute of pressure in Oilers end due to the worst clearing attempt I've seen this season. Which is stating a lot on this team.

I saw Strome make one good play today. It was a set play on something he was TOLD to do off a faceoff. That's it. Yet this guy is getting regular shifted with a very good Center, and getting ample PP time.

So that Strome is being gifted the opportunity not only to screw with Draisaitl EV production but RNH PP production. Man that guys a closer. Worst I've seen since Belanger.

The lines and player management by McLellan and unit assignments are just mysterious. As if he's trying to expedite playing himself out of a job.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Glad to hear the Oil won. I snuck into the office and had the game playing on our work computer for the last ten minutes. Can’t wait to get home and watch it in fast forward.

When we get all our d healthy, this is what I’d like to see:
Nurse-Larsson
Sekera-Russel
Klefbom-Davidson (with Benning subbing in occasionally)

I know Nurse and Larsson had some issues, but I think when Sekera gets up to speed his pairing will be able to spell some of their heavy lifting. If Klef ever finds his form again I’d drop Russel down to the bottom.
Watch the game in super FF. From an entertainment perspective you won't have missed too much. Oilers were the better of two pretty normal performances in this one. Frankly the Wild looked hungover in the first period. Could tell they were going to be bad from the first PP.

NHL should either cancel Afternoon games or have a little talk with the NHLPA about performances in these games which should otherwise come as half price.

Great game by Looch. Was really the difference in this one. plus Talbot being back.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Watch the game in super FF. From an entertainment perspective you won't have missed too much. Oilers were the better of two pretty normal performances in this one. Frankly the Wild looked hungover in the first period. Could tell they were going to be bad from the first PP.

NHL should either cancel Afternoon games or have a little talk with the NHLPA about performances in these games which should otherwise come as half price.

Great game by Looch. Was really the difference in this one. plus Talbot being back.

It's all about the money, the more complete games, you can televise in a day, equates to more revenue.
More viewers are at home during the weekends, hence, more games..

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
When even the media, on top of the fans, is asking why JP with his shot doesn't get a crack on the PP, then it must mean that Todd's head has outgrown his brain.

We won't get anywhere with this clown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad