Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Kings 1

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
happens once per rebuild?. I call bullcrap. we didn't get this in the last 2-3 rebuilds. lol

Do comments from Hitchcock count? Because I think he praised every rebuild a millions times, although usually before his team ground the Oilers down into a fine powder.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
These two still really **** me off.

The Coyotes home game was the worst for me. Battle all game just to get it tied only to give up the GWG late in the 3rd. Add in the road games against the Pens and Rangers when they were THIS close to getting a point along with Flyers and Sabres games that you mentioned and the team really should be in an even better position in the standings. I can't think of too many games that they stole outside of the Laine scoring for Edmonton game.

They need to tighten up their 3rd period play, just about gave the game away again last night. It seems like they play nervous in late 3rd period situations but if they keep winning, their confidence should grow in those situations. The core players are still really young so it's not surprising that they are a little erratic in close out situations.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I like how Doughty threw a childish fit at the end. Not used to losing to the Oilers eh bud? :laugh:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I only saw the stars on the Score App - did Gryba get first star from the broadcast as well? He deserved it, was all over the ice last night willing himself to prove he belongs in the lineup. Just need to wait and see if he continues that or not in the next few games.

Good to see Ebs and Lucic getting some points. Lucic was battling a few times for the good and for the bad in different occasions. And who was it that called Maroon "Little Lucic" or something? Because how Maroon is playing, I don't think that's very apt. Maroon is his own being and is impressive in areas that Lucic is not, regardless of him having more points that Maroon. Big Rig is on pace for his highest points total, I really hope he keeps it up and maybe even hits 40 for the first time, meanwhile he's already hit his highest goal output! He could hit 20 goals this year, and if he gets a good few games in there maybe 20 assists as well.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I think it was a great home ice game, as an entire team they played well.

I wondered if the World Juniors have Eberle excited? He was more engaged than I had seen in a long time.

I thought Davidson looked awfully rusty still, but that should work itself out.

I was pleased to see Benning get a game and that his offensive aggression may be picking up a bit.

I thought Pulu looked confident given his recent playing time and see glimpses of what his future holds.

Still don't get McDavid line- if Lucic is going to be on the left you need someone with blinding speed on the right.

I love Hendricks, but really don't think he should be in a healthy lineup.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The Coyotes home game was the worst for me. Battle all game just to get it tied only to give up the GWG late in the 3rd. Add in the road games against the Pens and Rangers when they were THIS close to getting a point along with Flyers and Sabres games that you mentioned and the team really should be in an even better position in the standings. I can't think of too many games that they stole outside of the Laine scoring for Edmonton game.

They need to tighten up their 3rd period play, just about gave the game away again last night. It seems like they play nervous in late 3rd period situations but if they keep winning, their confidence should grow in those situations. The core players are still really young so it's not surprising that they are a little erratic in close out situations.

I think that we tend to remember when they fail late in a game but do not as easily remember successes. This team right now is 12-1-1 after leading at the end of the second. Last year they were 18-2-1 after leading at the end of the second. This is actually the same %-age of wins (.857) but slightly better than last year at generating points. The NHL average winning percentage after leading at the end of the second was just under .82 over the span between 2009 and 2015.

The key is that they are leading more often. The other key is that they are scratching out points in their 1 goal games. They are currently 8-4-6 in one goal games. So they are still losing more than they win, but the pints are coming. They have 61.1% of the points they could get out of 1 goal games. Last year they were 14-16-8 in one goal games. That is a 47.4% rate for generating points. .

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
One thing that most probably won't dare say on this board is eberle had a good game I thought, got robbed on grybas goal and again near the end of the game, he was skating well and getting chances just can't get a bounce right now

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Devils with Hall this year: 11-11-5
Without Hall: 3-4-2

3 of those regulation losses without him were against LA, SJS and ANA, so doubt he woulda helped them much there anyways

Last year the devils were 2 games over .500.

Not trying to totally bash Hall. Just, wingers are the least able of any position to affect a teams success, even if you're as good as Hall. That's just how it works. Keeping Drai was the right move, and getting a stable defender able to battle with the big teams we need to fight for playoff spots has made a big difference.

Using records to assess players is a bad idea. I'd like to remind you that we had a worse record with McDavid last season than without.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I thought everyone played well. Everyone played hard and their were no passengers.

As far as the whole Eberle discussion goes, it was one pf his better games tonight but that being said he hasnt been great this year. Eberle play leaves a lot to be desired, he is completely one dimensional. If he is not scoring he is useless. That being said scoring is one of the most important things in hockey. Thing with Eberle, he just doesn't look dangerous out there generally speaking even though he is getting points.

In TM eyes I think he is unsure of what to do with the lines. I think he wants 2 capable scoring lines to make match ups harder. I think thats why hes playing rnh and drai together. He thinks McDavid can drive a line by himself. I dont think he knows what to do with Eberle. I think he's waiting for someone to arrive and step up and take that role.

I don't think JP is quite there. I personally dont like the way he has been handled. But I do think he has to step up and play for that job if he wants it.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Using records to assess players is a bad idea. I'd like to remind you that we had a worse record with McDavid last season than without.

I'm mainly assessing their team. Their team isn't better after the moves they made. More than Larsson for Hall they brought in some not so great D to try to replace Larsson's defensive contribution. I think their hot start actually had the most to do with Severson playing like the 2nd coming of Karlsson, but that disappeared.

The Oilers on the other hand have been able to replace Hall's offensive contributions (especially compared to how Hall played after McDavid came back from injury last year), and significantly improved the D's ability to compete vs teams we need to take playoff spots from.

And for sure, we weren't better with McDavid last year, and that was mainly due to Hall and others taking a back seat when McDavid came back in the lineup. Taking advantage of those free front row seats to the McDavid show (and possibly having feeling of inadequacy and feeling left in the dust by the new greatness while watching). It's also skewed by the brutal first 4 games that year where you couldn't really expect McDavid to do much since he was just starting his career, plus in general our D was trash and continued to get their lunch eaten by any decent western team.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Thanks for posting the Draisaitl vs Doughty clip. Does anyone have the McDavid vs Doughty one?
Also one of him pouting.

Anyone remember this?

killercookie

Apr 24, 2013
Not even close imo. Larsson is much better at defense, and his hits wear teams out

Last few years the Oilers would be tired in the 3rd, while the other teams came out with fresh legs

Larsson is a big factor why we are hard to play against now. 7 hits tonite

You are 100% correct!!

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

Could use individual scoring. I seem to remember him having like 6 goals in the first 8 games. Now he has 8 in 27.

Larsson is a lot more valuable to a team than Taylor Hall is, I think it's obvious now.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think that we tend to remember when they fail late in a game but do not as easily remember successes. This team right now is 12-1-1 after leading at the end of the second. Last year they were 18-2-1 after leading at the end of the second. This is actually the same %-age of wins (.857) but slightly better than last year at generating points. The NHL average winning percentage after leading at the end of the second was just under .82 over the span between 2009 and 2015.

The key is that they are leading more often. The other key is that they are scratching out points in their 1 goal games. They are currently 8-4-6 in one goal games. So they are still losing more than they win, but the pints are coming. They have 61.1% of the points they could get out of 1 goal games. Last year they were 14-16-8 in one goal games. That is a 47.4% rate for generating points. .

A bit early for pints, isn't it?

Kidding aside, good to see numbers that actually mean something. Thanks for that.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Do comments from Hitchcock count? Because I think he praised every rebuild a millions times, although usually before his team ground the Oilers down into a fine powder.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is kissing Oilers ass just so he can do a Scotty Bowman-Blackhawks type role with the Oilers once he leaves the Blues:laugh:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I thought everyone played well. Everyone played hard and their were no passengers.

As far as the whole Eberle discussion goes, it was one pf his better games tonight but that being said he hasnt been great this year. Eberle play leaves a lot to be desired, he is completely one dimensional. If he is not scoring he is useless. That being said scoring is one of the most important things in hockey. Thing with Eberle, he just doesn't look dangerous out there generally speaking even though he is getting points.

In TM eyes I think he is unsure of what to do with the lines. I think he wants 2 capable scoring lines to make match ups harder. I think thats why hes playing rnh and drai together. He thinks McDavid can drive a line by himself. I dont think he knows what to do with Eberle. I think he's waiting for someone to arrive and step up and take that role.

I don't think JP is quite there. I personally dont like the way he has been handled. But I do think he has to step up and play for that job if he wants it.
Eberle has been playing fine this year. Sure, scoring is not great but it's not bad either. He's on pace for between 50 and 60 points, more than 20 goals. He has been better defensively and has been engaged a lot more than he hasn't been. There have been many games this year where people have commented that Eberle at least looked engaged and cared, but then it's treated like it's rare. Even in this particular game, lots of posters in the GDT just seem to have it in for Eberle and don't give him his due or try to trace screwups back to him somehow. There is no reason to single out Eberle considering that lots of different players have had rough patches. Drai, JP and Lucic come to mind, but even Klefbom and Larsson looked bad for stretches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad