Post-Game Talk: Oilers 3 Kings 1

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eberle has been playing fine this year. Sure, scoring is not great but it's not bad either. He's on pace for between 50 and 60 points, more than 20 goals. He has been better defensively and has been engaged a lot more than he hasn't been. There have been many games this year where people have commented that Eberle at least looked engaged and cared, but then it's treated like it's rare. Even in this particular game, lots of posters in the GDT just seem to have it in for Eberle and don't give him his due or try to trace screwups back to him somehow. There is no reason to single out Eberle considering that lots of different players have had rough patches. Drai, JP and Lucic come to mind, but even Klefbom and Larsson looked bad for stretches.

He's almost always been on pace for 50-60 though and that's without McDavid. You'd think with McDavid, he'd rocket away but he's been so...disengaged it seems.

He's been slightly better the last few weeks here and there but consistency doesn't seem to be the name of his game. Like I posted in another thread, starting to miss toe drag Eberle since that version at least goes toward the net. That said, yesterday at least he did that instead of the awful button hook bajillion times kind of deal he's been doing the last season and half.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Eberle has been playing fine this year. Sure, scoring is not great but it's not bad either. He's on pace for between 50 and 60 points, more than 20 goals. He has been better defensively and has been engaged a lot more than he hasn't been. There have been many games this year where people have commented that Eberle at least looked engaged and cared, but then it's treated like it's rare. Even in this particular game, lots of posters in the GDT just seem to have it in for Eberle and don't give him his due or try to trace screwups back to him somehow. There is no reason to single out Eberle considering that lots of different players have had rough patches. Drai, JP and Lucic come to mind, but even Klefbom and Larsson looked bad for stretches.

Pace is 55 points and 18 goals. 1 goal in 16 games. 11th on the team in 5v5 points/60. 12th in first assists/60 5v5. 13th in goals/60 5v5.

He is still putting up points, but I wouldn't call his season so far an example of playing just fine. This seasons pace would be the worst season of his career, while also being the best opportunity of his career to be a difference maker. He's getting all the opportunity McLellan can provide (although I'd argue McLellan's approach of force feeding him minutes with McDavid has been flawed), and he's done the bare minimum with it for a guy that is paid 6M to score.

He has to play better, and McLellan needs to find some player combo with him that actually shows some chemistry.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Oilers played very well defensively as the Kings could neither get a cycle going nor push them around. Defensively they are on the right track based on last night. Talbot was not engaged on that one Kings goal, but what's one goal? I think RNH did his job well as a playmaker last night, as did Eberle. Maroon is great for the garbage goals. Something still seems a bit off with McDavid and I'm not sure what it is, other than perhaps a lack of chemistry with linemates. He'll probably make it around the bend soon and the team is winning right now.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The Oilers played very well defensively as the Kings could neither get a cycle going nor push them around. Defensively they are on the right track based on last night. Talbot was not engaged on that one Kings goal, but what's one goal? I think RNH did his job well as a playmaker last night, as did Eberle. Maroon is great for the garbage goals. Something still seems a bit off with McDavid and I'm not sure what it is, other than perhaps a lack of chemistry with linemates. He'll probably make it around the bend soon and the team is winning right now.

I think what's off about McDavid is he does everything at both ends of the rink and he's getting mugged all the time. He's gonna get man strength someday and learn even more habits for success and he is going to be scary.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think what's off about McDavid is he does everything at both ends of the rink and he's getting mugged all the time. He's gonna get man strength someday and learn even more habits for success and he is going to be scary.

He gets no real puck support at either ends of the ice. Aside from Draisaitl, who seems to be able to read him, most of the other players on the ice just watch him do his thing as if McDavid doesn't need their help.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview

He gets no real puck support at either ends of the ice. Aside from Draisaitl, who seems to be able to read him, most of the other players on the ice just watch him do his thing as if McDavid doesn't need their help.
Yeah, I think you guys are right.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Another positive from this (and the last) game: the Oilers are learning to use a play that has been the bread and butter of many successful teams in recent years: break into the zone with three attackers, send the center attacker to the net with 100% speed, and have the last attacker drift back for the inevitable cross-seam pass. Drai sorta whiffed on his chance against LA, but Maroon didn't in the previous game. It's a seriously deadly play, one that takes elite-level co-ordination and execution to pull off. And they're doing it!

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Another positive from this (and the last) game: the Oilers are learning to use a play that has been the bread and butter of many successful teams in recent years: break into the zone with three attackers, send the center attacker to the net with 100% speed, and have the last attacker drift back for the inevitable cross-seam pass. Drai sorta whiffed on his chance against LA, but Maroon didn't in the previous game. It's a seriously deadly play, one that takes elite-level co-ordination and execution to pull off. And they're doing it!
Drive-Trail-Post. You start learning that in Atom or Peewee.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
God I love Maroon though. Seems to score the most timely goals! Would really hate to see him claimed by Vegas.

Chia would need to be fired if he leaves Maroon unprotected unless the wheels fall off for Maroon rest of the season. After McDavid and Draisaitl Maroon is the 3rd best forward on the team thus far.
If for some reason we are going 4D-4F, Maroon needs to be one of the 4 Fs.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think it was a great home ice game, as an entire team they played well.

I wondered if the World Juniors have Eberle excited? He was more engaged than I had seen in a long time.

I thought Davidson looked awfully rusty still, but that should work itself out.

I was pleased to see Benning get a game and that his offensive aggression may be picking up a bit.

I thought Pulu looked confident given his recent playing time and see glimpses of what his future holds.

Still don't get McDavid line- if Lucic is going to be on the left you need someone with blinding speed on the right.

I love Hendricks, but really don't think he should be in a healthy lineup.

Poolparty seems like the most natural fit to me, and don't think I'm alone in saying that. But it really is just inevitable. Even if they aren't together much this season, they will be in the future. He'll end up being McDavid's 'Kurri' so to speak, IMO, in the long-term. At least I hope so. Maybe not as good, but even if he's a regular 65 point (plateau) player who's fantastic defensively, I'll take that. That would equal about 30 goals and 35 assists a season, which is nothing to sneeze at. But I think he'll be even better than that during his prime. And numbers aside, I think we'll eventually see those two together as a mainstay, probably with Lucic providing the wall battling muscle, winning battles and digging out pucks for them.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Poolparty seems like the most natural fit to me, and don't think I'm alone in saying that. But it really is just inevitable. Even if they aren't together much this season, they will be in the future. He'll McDavid's 'Kurri' so to speak, IMO, in the long-term. At least I hope so. Maybe not as good, but even if he's a regular 65 point (plateau) player who's fantastic defensively, I'll take that. That would equal about 30 goals and 35 assists a season, which is nothing to sneeze at. But I think he'll be even better than that during his prime. And numbers aside, I think we'll eventually see those two together as a mainstay, probably with Lucic providing the wall battling muscle, winning battles and digging out pucks for them.

Agree 100%

Pulju is an elite skater, and the chemistry was obvious. I think McLellan is delaying the inevitable here.

Pulju also is a puck hound and forces turnovers. I can see him forcing turnovers leading to McDavid breakaways/offensive opportunities in bunches. These two are a natural fit. Keep papa Lucic with them to protect the kids and control the cycle.

Reunite McDavid and Pulju!!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Why would they do us that favor?

Despite Pouliot's poor year so far he is still a quality player. How quickly people forget how well he's played the last 2 seasons for us. I'm willing to lose him simply due to his cap hit if it means keeping guys like Maroon and Davidson, but Pouliot is far from a bad player when he's on his game.

Would not be surprised to see him bounce back next year with a 15G 35-40P season whether its here or in Vegas. Oddly the entire ex-line of Nuge-Eberle-Pouliot has been off this year in terms of scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad