OHL poised to lose a TON of talent to USHL/BCHL, CHL is sweating bullets.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
As I explained, the overall talent level just isn’t there in the NCAA - - just like it isn’t there in the ECHL.

There’s a reason 23 and 24 year old guys are playing in the NCAA instead of the NHL or even the AHL.

Not. Good. Enough.
Im not arguing that the NCAA has better prospects than the CHL. You said that OHL hockey is better than NCAA hockey. Which is not true. You put any D1 team on ice against any CHL team right now and the D1 team kicks the s*** out of them. Its not close

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Yes, undersized Gabe Perrault and those other three might have a shot at the NHL.

Unlike proven burn-outs such as Eamon Powell and Joke Malone who were both “drafted” but clearly do not have enough talent to ever play in the NHL.

There’s a reason the CHL has an age cut off at 20yrs old. If you’re not good enough to be in the pros in your early to mid 20’s, you just aren’t talented enough. Those has-beens belong in a beer league. Or in the NCAA/USports.

As I’ve explained numerous times, there’s far more NHL-level talent in the CHL than in the NCAA.

Which is why all of the top OHL prospects will end up deciding to play in the OHL despite their ridiculous posturing about going to the NCAA or BCJHL.
The reason is because its a junior league. Thats it. Thats the reason. The CHL leagues having age limits have nothing to do with the play level of the league being better because its not. Piss and moan over Eamon Powell and those guys (and your hilariously garbage take on guys who havent even gotten the chance to play pro yet but keep blabbing off) but theyre still playing and producing at a higher level in a better league than the overaged CHL players who are going to USports and are more than likely out of the sport all together in a few years, even that level is still a higher level than the CHL leagues. LOL

Also lol at you trying to scrutinize an undersized player when were literally in an era with guys like Quinn and Jack Hughes, DeBrincat, Gaudreau, Bratt, Konecny, Girard, Caufield, and many other smaller players in the NHL today as mainstays. Hes playing and producing in a better league in the NCAA at a high rate. Seems like hes a surefire bet at becoming an NHLer, the Leafs will enjoy many goals against from him in no time :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Oh how I've missed Donnie over in the OHL forum lol

Let's use London as an example - they have 7 NHL affiliated forwards and 3 affiliated D.

I would say Cowan, Bonk and Halttunen are likely (above 50%) to play in the NHL.

Barkey, Edward and George are possible (10-50%) to play in the NHL.

Lawrence, McCue, Sim, and Julien are longshots (under 10%) to play in the NHL.

Looking at the NHL - was Matthew Knies a burnout? That scrub had to play two years in the NCAA before making it to the NHL. Was Tyler Bozak a burnout? He was playing in the BCHL at 20 and the NCAA at 23 - there's no way that guy had any success.

What about that loser over in Edmonton Zach Hyman - imagine playing in the NCAA at 23, there's no way that guy will have score a single NHL goal, and he's definitely not hitting 50.

Reactions: cg98

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Not only is this selective attention by hyperfocusing on Powell/Malone and ignoring non-Big Four BC guys Fortescue, Minnetian, Jellvik, etc. But it's also clutching on to this dying narrative from yesteryear about the NCAA being some backwater for older Canadians/inferior Americans while the CHL is the training ground for budding Canadian talent. The world is passing you right by and you're too biased or blind to realize it.

If you’re not in the NHL - - or at the very least in the AHL - - by your early to mid 20’s the cold hard reality is that you’re just not a talented enough hockey player to ever play at the pro level.

Raving about the “grown men” playing in the NCAA/Usports is laughable because none of them are talented enough to be playing in the pros.

It’s like trying to compare Euro League basketball to NCAA basketball. Could Macabi Tel Aviv “grown men” beat UConn if they played tomorrow? Maybe. But there’s ZERO question which team/league has the most talented basketball players.

Fyodorov

Apr 20, 2021
If you’re not in the NHL - - or at the very least in the AHL - - by your early to mid 20’s the cold hard reality is that you’re just not a talented enough hockey player to ever play at the pro level.

Raving about the “grown men” playing in the NCAA/Usports is laughable because none of them are talented enough to be playing in the pros.

It’s like trying to compare Euro League basketball to NCAA basketball. Could Macabi Tel Aviv “grown men” beat UConn if they played tomorrow? Maybe. But there’s ZERO question which team/league has the most talented basketball players.

You're totally changed your argument lol. That said, you're still wrong.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

You still refuse to answer the question. How would the top 10 CHL teams fare against the top 10 NCAA teams?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Anyways, a top prospect can’t go wrong no matter where they go. They’ll get in the nhl if they’re good enough regardless. Personally I think the ncaa route has more advantages but I cant blame a kid that doesn’t want to leave their home province. The OHL is probably grateful that the Ontario based Junior A leagues aren’t very good. For the most part, they’re more like OHL minor league teams than NCAA D1 feeders.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006

You're talking about quality of prospects. The people you're talking to are talking about quality of teams. College and university teams have players that are older and generally bigger. They are certainly better teams.

Does the average NCAA player have a higher upside long-term than the average CHL player? That's a argument worth having. Are there more players with legitimate NHL potential playing in the CHL than in the NCAA? Almost certainly. But the best CHL teams would not look good against the best NCAA teams. Size, experience and depth would tilt the ice pretty heavily in one direction.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

You literally just changed your entire argument. Time to take the L big guy

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I checked the top 20 rookies by points over the last two seasons and I think 10 played college hockey. So NCAA is getting stronger and stronger all the time.

NCAA will have two of the last four first overall picks which is also a sign of its strength being at an all time high with Hagens looking to make it 3 out of 5.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
You're talking about quality of prospects. The people you're talking to are talking about quality of teams. College and university teams have players that are older and generally bigger. They are certainly better teams.

Does the average NCAA player have a higher upside long-term than the average CHL player? That's a argument worth having. Are there more players with legitimate NHL potential playing in the CHL than in the NCAA? Almost certainly. But the best CHL teams would not look good against the best NCAA teams. Size, experience and depth would tilt the ice pretty heavily in one direction.

Yes, I’m talking about overall talent pool - - and as I’ve explained, it’s far better in the OHL and CHL than it is in the NCAA. Take a good look at the NHL and you’ll see that hardly any of the top players came from the NCAA. The large majority of the NHL’s best players are either products of the CHL or Euro leagues.

Maybe some people prefer watching a bunch of maulers and hacks whose “size and experience” makes up for their lack of talent. There’s lots of beer leagues around for that.

But in terms of overall talent and calibre of play, it’s very obvious it’s in the CHL. Which is why the best young pre-draft players will end up in the CHL and not in the NCAA.

• Haha

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yes, I’m talking about overall talent pool - - and as I’ve explained, it’s far better in the OHL and CHL than it is in the NCAA. Take a good look at the NHL and you’ll see that hardly any of the top players came from the NCAA. The large majority of the NHL’s best players are either products of the CHL or Euro leagues.

Maybe some people prefer watching a bunch of maulers and hacks whose “size and experience” makes up for their lack of talent. There’s lots of beer leagues around for that.

But in terms of overall talent and calibre of play, it’s very obvious it’s in the CHL. Which is why the best young pre-draft players will end up in the CHL and not in the NCAA.
I mean, at this point you are just trolling

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Oh how I've missed Donnie over in the OHL forum lol

Let's use London as an example - they have 7 NHL affiliated forwards and 3 affiliated D.

I would say Cowan, Bonk and Halttunen are likely (above 50%) to play in the NHL.

Barkey, Edward and George are possible (10-50%) to play in the NHL.

Lawrence, McCue, Sim, and Julien are longshots (under 10%) to play in the NHL.

Looking at the NHL - was Matthew Knies a burnout? That scrub had to play two years in the NCAA before making it to the NHL. Was Tyler Bozak a burnout? He was playing in the BCHL at 20 and the NCAA at 23 - there's no way that guy had any success.

What about that loser over in Edmonton Zach Hyman - imagine playing in the NCAA at 23, there's no way that guy will have score a single NHL goal, and he's definitely not hitting 50.
That Cale Makar fellow played in the AJHL garbage heap of all places and played in the NCAA past 20??

Terrible player :thumbu:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017

Makar, Quinn Hughes, Fox, Brady Tkachuk, Larkin, Kyle Connor, Boldy, Faber, Caufield, Gaudreau, Keller, Werenski, Thompson, Kreider, and probably a ton of others are all apparently garbage players who played in the NCAA huh? Lol, get real.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You still refuse to answer the question. How would the top 10 CHL teams fare against the top 10 NCAA teams?
On average, 2-3 years older in NCAA, that’s a lot of development time.

Shouldn’t you be comparing apples to apples.
USHL vs CHL.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Cale Makar, Owen Power, Kent Johnson, Adam Fantilli and Macklin Celebrini were all just bluffing.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
I mean, at this point you are just trolling

Let’s take a quick look at the best players in the NHL, shall we?

McDavid - CHL, MacKinnon - CHL, Draisalt - CHL, Matt Tkachuk - CHL, Marner - CHL, Crosby - CHL, Svechnikov - CHL, Stamkos - CHL.

Feel free to list all of the “best” NCAA players in the NHL. It pales in comparison to the CHL. Someone mentioned Matt Knies and Ty Bozek, which pretty much sums up the NCAA calibre of skill.

I’m very well aware of how well written my comments are and I’m equally aware that it’s impossible to contest the facts I present.

When people are unable to formulate a rebuttal to my comments, they cry out “trolling” and do everything possible to have me censored/banned by inundating moderators with desperate pleas. You’re definitely not the first my friend, and you certainly won’t be the last.

• Haha

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
On average, 2-3 years older in NCAA, that’s a lot of development time.

USHL vs CHL

We should be, but I was responding to someone who was suggesting that the "overall play" in the OHL was superior to NCAA D1

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We’ve come a long way from saying the ncaa is clearly below the ohl in terms of overall level of play to asking how many ncaa players have been drafted to saying ncaa drafted players are busts to saying historically more top players came out of the CHL leagues.

Reactions: MuckOG

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Let’s take a quick look at the best players in the NHL, shall we?

McDavid - CHL, MacKinnon - CHL, Draisalt - CHL, Matt Tkachuk - CHL, Marner - CHL, Crosby - CHL, Svechnikov - CHL, Stamkos - CHL.

Feel free to list all of the “best” NCAA players in the NHL. It pales in comparison to the CHL. Someone mentioned Matt Knies and Ty Bozek, which pretty much sums up the NCAA calibre of skill.

I’m very well aware of how well written my comments are and I’m equally aware that it’s impossible to contest the facts I present.

When people are unable to formulate a rebuttal to my comments, they cry out “trolling” and do everything possible to have me censored/banned by inundating moderators with desperate pleas. You’re definitely not the first my friend, and you certainly won’t be the last.
I love how I literally replied to this detailing all the players before you commented such foolery. You purposefully ignored it then commented this garbage. Lol.

Apparently Makar, Fox, Quinn Hughes, 3 superstar defensemen in the NHL and "sums up the skill" in NCAA. Id say thats pretty good then. Without even mentioning the rest of Brady Tkachuk, Kyle Connor, Larkin, Boldy, Faber, Caufield, Gaudreau, Thompson, Keller, Werenski, Kreider like I previously mentioned and others like Hanifin, Swayman, Sanderson, Guentzel, Boeser, Eichel, Demko, Schmaltz. Sums up the skill of the NCAA? Id say so. Dont let the door hit you otw out.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
USHL vs CHL.

Agree 100% - - there’s significantly more NHL calibre talent in the USHL than in the NCAA.

But the issue at hand is the top OHL draft prospects making the ridiculous threat that they’re going to play in the NCAA or the BCJHL instead of signing with the OHL teams that select them in the priority draft.

As always, I stand by my previous comments that very few - - if any - - of the top OHL prospects will choose to play in the NCAA or the BCJHL rather than in the superior OHL.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Agree 100% - - there’s significantly more NHL calibre talent in the USHL than in the NCAA.

But the issue at hand is the top OHL draft prospects making the ridiculous threat that they’re going to play in the NCAA or the BCJHL instead of signing with the OHL teams that select them in the priority draft.

As always, I stand by my previous comments that very few - - if any - - of the top OHL prospects will choose to play in the NCAA or the BCJHL rather than in the superior OHL.
That still doesnt make the OHL a higher level than the NCAA lol. Keep dreaming.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad