OHL poised to lose a TON of talent to USHL/BCHL, CHL is sweating bullets.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
From what I have seen online, many first round talents in the upcoming OHL draft are poised to forego the OHL in favour of going to the USHL and BCHL.

Zachary Nyman
Adam Valentini
Colin Fitzgerald
Caleb Malhotra
Logan Hawery
Callum Croskery
Jett Kwajah
Alexander Hage
Beckham Edwards
Jacob Xu
Jude Bray
Thomas Vandenberg

All players that should go in the first two/three rounds of the OHL draft on Friday and all are rumoured to be going elsewhere. With this much talent looking elsewhere, should the CHL hit the panic button?

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
From what I have seen online, many first round talents in the upcoming OHL draft are poised to forego the OHL in favour of going to the USHL and BCHL.

Zachary Nyman
Adam Valentini
Colin Fitzgerald
Caleb Malhotra
Logan Hawery
Callum Croskery
Jett Kwajah
Alexander Hage
Beckham Edwards
Jude Bray
Thomas Vandenberg

All players that should go in the first two/three rounds of the OHL draft on Friday and all are rumoured to be going elsewhere. With this much talent looking elsewhere, should the CHL hit the panic button?

Whether this comes to pass or not ( I really really doubt all those players will end up in the USHL/BCHL), I can totally foresee, in the very near future, the OHL adopting a tender system similar to what the USHL employs.

Players today no longer wanted to be told where they are going to play, rather they want to dictate where they will play.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I’ve been saying the OHL in particular but WHL as well needs a tender system yesterday. The best kids shouldn’t have to get drafted and go where they’re told. Where else in the world do we do that with 15 year old amateurs. The kids just happy to be on any team, that’s fine. But the teams should be allowed to have up to 2 tenders per year. If an organization is just a flat out better place to develop than others, the best and most in-demand kids in the region shouldn’t be hamstrung by a draft that forces them to go play for a mess.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
They aren’t getting paid in the CHL, so they go to the BCHL and USHL to not get paid?

They are just going the NCAA route, thats it.

The CHL loses a dozen+ guys every year to NCAA routes.
They aren't getting paid in BCHL or USHL so them getting paid in CHL would be a strong motivator. Not that difficult.

As is, NCAA just is far more attractive than slave labor in CHL.

Reactions: hn777

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
More opportunities for others no need to panic.
Imagine if half of the NHL’s first round picks said “I would rather go to the KHL instead” that’s essentially what this amounts to. If these leagues can’t attract the top talents anymore, the league is going to start to struggle and teams may fold. You may not think it’s that big of a deal, but I guarantee you Hockey Canada does.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Zachary Nyman
Adam Valentini
Colin Fitzgerald
Caleb Malhotra
Logan Hawery
Callum Croskery
Jett Kwajah
Alexander Hage
Beckham Edwards
Jacob Xu
Jude Bray
Thomas Vandenberg

Honestly, unless you are capable of making the NHL as a teenager, I'd probably go Tier II route and keep my NCAA options open at 16/17 years old.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They aren't getting paid in BCHL or USHL so them getting paid in CHL would be a strong motivator. Not that difficult.

As is, NCAA just is far more attractive than slave labor in CHL

The CHL doesn’t need to pay its players to attract them, they are the predominant league in Canada and will continue to be. Should they start paying them, all the better. Like the NCAA, they get their schooling benefits paid for.

Players will continue to go the NCAA route as they have been for the past 30 years. This year is no different than any of the past.

All the CHL guys get schooling when they are finished,

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, for each year you play in the CHL, you get 1 year of College for free.

If you're good, you also get under the table incentives to play for certain teams throughout the CHL.

I guess if you get a chance to go to a NCAA school and you can complete your education and play hockey, why not ?

This is good news to kids who are a bit down the hockey depth charts.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
We’ll see, but generally players from the BCHL/AJHL (merger) are a tier below the CHL. While it sets them up nicely for college hockey in the states, the CHL is still the best route for development for these kids. A top prospect sacrificing that to play in a lesser quality league so you can play college hockey… is an interesting choice. It certainly didn’t really work out for Jost, Newhook, Holloway, and others I’m probably missing who haven’t lived up to expectations. Even Makar had to go through a major transition from Junior A to college his first year.

lesser quality players would benefit greatly from doing this. If you’re a top prospect, you’re better off staying in the CHL or play in the USHL. USHL is much more comparable to the CHL and has far superior resources.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I really wish I could ignore this poster but unfortunately they spam all the threads so can't. No this isn't abnormal a decent amount of kids always think the Junior A-NCAA path is better for them and for some it is. Some kids need a longer development path so college gives them a couple more years to mature before trying to turn pro. Most of these kids would end up depth players in the CHL and be done at 20 where if they go Junior A they can still be the top guys there then go to school until they're 24-25, longer runway. Even for the kids who start on the Junior A path a decent amount of them change their minds and end up in the CHL anyway. Both paths are good especially if you're not a top talent, it's on the kids/families/advisors to try and figure out what's best for them. Even with this supposed great demise of the CHL(could argue the Q is falling draft wise though) they still produce the majority of the talent for the NHL and it guarantees kids a paid for education while playing in the best developmental league. Most top kids will get a NCAA scholarship but there's still the risk of will they perform well enough to get a good school let alone a school. Even if they get a commit the school can pull it out from them where CHL is a guarantee albeit not quite the same level of education/level of play in Usports. No the tender system isn't needed it's actually a very dumb idea that would see a select few teams dominate every year just like in the NCAA. The current system creates parity and forces every team to have the best everything so they don't lose players. The same people are the delusional ones who think it's smart to let teenagers play in the AHL because they're "too good" for the CHL when the history of teenagers playing in the AHL is filled with a long list of busts with very few success stories and those are just the high picks who play there early. Should be common sense but doesn't seem that common for a certain group

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Imagine if half of the NHL’s first round picks said “I would rather go to the KHL instead” that’s essentially what this amounts to. If these leagues can’t attract the top talents anymore, the league is going to start to struggle and teams may fold. You may not think it’s that big of a deal, but I guarantee you Hockey Canada does.

HC doesn't give a crap about players going to the states. They'd rather punish the kids that decide to stay in Canada (BCHL) instead of working a solution.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I'm wondering if having 60 CHL teams is starting to become a problem for the CHL. A large number of these teams should be Jr A programs as they operate in small towns and attracting less than 2000 fans per game.

Perhaps if the CHL consolidated to the markets where it has the strongest support the product would be more compelling for the elite level talent who want and are capable of playing at the highest levels.

I love that 60 teams provides lots of opportunities for players however there's only 6-8 teams in each league that are able to put together a elite level lineup with 6-8 NHL top prospects on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00