Speculation: Offseason Thread #16: Kevin Hayes: A True Friend (mod post #547)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Though Miller CAN play center, despite the fact that AV has determined he's better on the wing.

I come back to my earlier proposal of Staal + McIlrath + their choice of goalie prospects. Solid LD addressing one of their big needs, a cheap replacement for what would have been an extremely expensive 3rd pair RD - both of whom are hometown boys, signed and under team control - plus a prospect from the Rangers' greatest organizational area of strength which also happens to be their greatest organizational weakness... Maybe throw in one of our non-marquee forwards from this glut we've built up (say, the injured Lindberg, who after all, is not a wing)...?

If you look past the traditional HF bias towards shiny prospects, it makes a lot of sense as a package for a guy who's becoming a headache despite never having scored more than 29 points, and has trended down (scoring-wise) each of his three years in the league.

I'm not sure Staal would waive to go there, and I don't think Winnipeg would bite on a guy who is pushing 30 and whose best years are clearly behind him as the main piece for a player like Trouba. I think if it comes to the point where they start actually listening to offers, I think they'll get a premium return.

I'd be surprised if Staal could even get a guy like Myers in return. Just too much of a cap commitment.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Stepan
Nash
Zibanejad
Jooris
Grabner
Gerbe

Maybe Lindberg when he returns.

How many more forwards do you need for the PK?

i think you definitely want to have at least 6 forwards (3 pairs) for the pk. additional depth is a bonus...also think that in the ideal scenario stepan and nash aren't in the top 2 pairs. they will still be used, but cutting their minutes here keeps them fresher for offensive situations...

your list could very well be the pk...i think jooris & grabner are the favorites to make up 2/3 of the 4th line. so only question is if gerbe plays

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
i think you definitely want to have at least 6 forwards (3 pairs) for the pk. additional depth is a bonus...also think that in the ideal scenario stepan and nash aren't in the top 2 pairs. they will still be used, but cutting their minutes here keeps them fresher for offensive situations...

your list could very well be the pk...i think jooris & grabner are the favorites to make up 2/3 of the 4th line. so only question is if gerbe plays

Gerbe should be playing every night with Hayes. Hayes plays his best with guys with high motors. Gerbe has a super high motor. He has some skill and tons of speed. It's a nice combination

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Gerbe should be playing every night with Hayes. Hayes plays his best with guys with high motors. Gerbe has a super high motor. He has some skill and tons of speed. It's a nice combination

not disagreeing with you that combo might work...but barring a trade who is getting bumped out of the top 9 for gerbe? assuming that vesey and buch were probably promised spots, or atleast shots at the top 9, with pirri added you now have 10 guys that belong in the top 9. 2 of them would need to get bumped

right now my money would be on a 4th line of gerbe-jooris-grabner as your 4th line to start the year...if a top 9 forward gets dealt, then pirri back fills that spot

of course i also know that midway thru the first period of the first preseason games AV will change the line combos 7 times

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
not disagreeing with you that combo might work...but barring a trade who is getting bumped out of the top 9 for gerbe? assuming that vesey and buch were probably promised spots, or atleast shots at the top 9, with pirri added you now have 10 guys that belong in the top 9. 2 of them would need to get bumped

right now my money would be on a 4th line of gerbe-jooris-grabner as your 4th line to start the year...if a top 9 forward gets dealt, then pirri back fills that spot

of course i also know that midway thru the first period of the first preseason games AV will change the line combos 7 times

I think a trade is coming.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yes, I believe its his choice to go to the AHL or KHL. I think somewhere along the line he acknowledged he may need time in the AHL or maybe that was someone reporting it im not sure.

I don't recall seeing a report like that, but I imagine everyone in the front office has told him that he may go down there on a conditioning stint and then he'd be back up.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Zibanejad-Zucc
Vesey-Hayes-Pirri/Buch
Lindberg-Jooris-Fast
Gerbe/Grabber

There HAS to be a trade in the works, makes no sense if there isn't. Buch and Vesey will make the team unless they play IHL caliber hockey.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
One of Nash/Zucc/Fast will be gone before training camp starts...too many forwards.

More than likely, it comes down to Nash or Zucc. Fast could go regardless. And, depending what Gorton has in mind for this roster, seeing all three being gone wouldn't shock me either.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yes, I believe its his choice to go to the AHL or KHL. I think somewhere along the line he acknowledged he may need time in the AHL or maybe that was someone reporting it im not sure.

He specifically said he didn't feel he needed time in the AHL, and that his staying in teh KHL last year was to prepare him for the NHL this season, not the AHL

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
More than likely, it comes down to Nash or Zucc. Fast could go regardless. And, depending what Gorton has in mind for this roster, seeing all being gone wouldn't shock me either.

I'd be shocked if they were all traded by the time camp starts.

Think Fast is most likely to go, then Nash and then Zucc.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree with him. I think the contract weighs him down a bit. If he and Zucc had the exact same contract, than Nash would have more value.

Nash is top-3 in the league in game-winning goals in the last 3 years, he plays all 3 zones. If Zuccarello really has more value than Nash, we have to trade him right now, because it will never ever happen again

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If anyone gets traded it's going to be Nash.

Pirri is a goal scorer. If you want to infer anything from his signing (not even saying you should) it's that a Nash deal is in the works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad