Speculation: Offseason Thread #15: Thinking of a new title is Vesey difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
You have to think they aren't done. There are too many monkeys in the barrel and a glaring need on D.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Gorton is looking to make a deal, but is there a deal out there to be made?

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Miller-Zibanejad-Zucc
Vesey-Hayes-Buchnevich
Grabner-Jooris-Fast
Glass-Lindberg-Gerbe
Hrivik-Jensen

That's 17 forwards and all but Buch require waivers to be sent down. The odds that he is sent down are small. Lindberg will start on LTIR. Glass will probably be sent down and I doubt anyone will claim him. Hrivik and Gerbe may be sent down and again, I doubt anyone would claim them. Jensen might be claimed if waived based off of his strong WC showing.

If we keep Jensen and send the others to Hartford, that leaves us with 14 forwards, including Lindberg who won't take up a roster spot while he's on LTIR. That means at the start of the season, we could keep one of the other forwards or go with 8 dmen, but when Lindberg comes back, we'd have to make a decision.

All of our dmen are waiver eligible except for Skjei, and I don't see him getting sent down. Clendening is most likely the odd man out if we cut down to 7 dmen, either to begin the season or when Lindberg comes off LTIR. Would anyone claim him? Probably not. Paliotta is waiver eligible too, but I don't think he gets claimed.

I'd really like for Hrivik to make the team. I think he has earned it. But if not, maybe he gets claimed on waivers.

We have lots of options. It will be interesting to see what Gorton does between now and camp.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I think they're pretty much done for now. Nash won't be dealt until he has proven his worth again for this league. And I'm pretty sure at least Klein will be dealt some point this season just like Rozy when McDonagh made the jump. They should be able to make a solid trade for him right now though. McIlrath and Skjei needs to play.

Center: Lindberg, Miller, Stepan, Jooris, Zibanejad
LW: Gerbe, Hrivik, Glass, Jensen, Kreider, Nash, Vesey.
RW: Buch, Fast, Grabner, Hayes, Zucc
D: Clendening, Gilmour, Girardi, Holden, Klein, McD, McI, Skjei, Staal

Too many horses in the stable.

I'm probably missing players, too.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Team USA / New York Rangers:

Captain Ryan McDonagh
Alt Captain Derek Stepan
Chris Kreider
Jimmy Vesey
JT Miller
Brady Skjei
Kevin Hayes
Nathan Gerbe brought in for little veteran know how

All NCAA and or WJC team USA guys

I want Kevin Shattenkirk added to this AmeriCore.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Not only that, youre trading him with Klein for Spurgeon.

Those two should get more than Jared Spurgeon.

Leave the roster as is. Try and trade some of the younger cheap forwards like Fast, Lindberg for a 4th defenseman.

But dont trade one of our top 9. Go to war with this group.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
IMO one of zucc or Nash will be going in a deal for Shattenkirk before camp.

And one of Staal or Klein will be dealt as well. Klein maybe a part of that Shattenkirk deal. Maybe not.

But I expect two of those 4 players to not be here come late sept.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Team USA / New York Rangers:

Captain Ryan McDonagh
Alt Captain Derek Stepan
Chris Kreider
Jimmy Vesey
JT Miller
Brady Skjei
Kevin Hayes
Nathan Gerbe brought in for little veteran know how

All NCAA and or WJC team USA guys

I want Kevin Shattenkirk added to this AmeriCore.
I'd be okay buying low on Shattenkirk if the the package was Klein, Fast and say, one of Nieves or Tambeillini. I'm not given up valuable pieces for a player who's seems to be willing to take a discount to come here.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Shattenkirk will not be a target. Brooks reported that the Rangers have no interest in paying Shattenkirk what he will command as a UFA. You can choose to not believe that, but you'll most likely be disappointed.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Young, upside, good contract.

What upside? I think we just saw a season where everything fires on all cylinders for JT Miller. I think we have seen his upside.

Not only that, youre trading him with Klein for Spurgeon.

Those two should get more than Jared Spurgeon.

Leave the roster as is. Try and trade some of the younger cheap forwards like Fast, Lindberg for a 4th defenseman.

But dont trade one of our top 9. Go to war with this group.

You have to give value to get value.

I was never a fan of Miller and still aren't, but trading him just to get Spurgeon is ridiculous.

Yes, why give McDonagh an actual partner for once in his career since Sauer.

All of Miller's production and play can be replaced by Hudler or Pirri. They'd also be cheaper than Miller.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Ok so who do we trade now? Whats everyone thinking?
will try to tweak my last big scenario. The Vesy adds strengthens it.

Why is Vesey a precursor to a trade?
Extra bodies, need to move cap, if possible NMCs and....

No, actually, it's because BBKers, a vetted insider on the board continues to reiterate that his sources have told him that if the Rangers do sign Vesey, expect a few more resulting moves. It's no secret that Nash has been available since the end of the season, and given that Gorton had no compunction moving Brassard for Zibanejad, it's not a stretch to think if the same type of offer was presented for Zucc, he'd make a similar move. Then there's the need for a quality partner for McDonagh. Given the depth Gorton has accumulated this off-season, it more than allows for the opportunity to make a deal from depth for a much-needed upgrade on D. And, it wasn't HF that came out and said that the Rangers were going to get younger. That was the Ranger front office, duly noted in a season-ending article by Larry Brooks, which explained that the only players who are off-limits are Henke, Buch and Skjei.

Hail BBKers!
Good guy, he deserves it.

shoot really look into moving McD for Trouba in some sort of deal if they truly believe skiej is ready for big minutes. then sign shattenkirk in the off season. run a top 4 of skiej-trouba staal-shattenkirk n pry they could dump girardi on someone. then hopefully next year third pairing is graves-mcilwrath.

trying to make that happen and get us two upgraded good picks. will repost later

i wouldnt trade mcd for trouba....why would you do that trade? MCD>>>>Trouba
Sorry, wrong. In a vacuum, younger Trouba, less wear and tear and high potential is >>> McD. However, add contract and need of Jets to balance on LD, and we can
upgrade 2 picks.

No idea what BBKers said, but I'm not sold by anyone on a message board (though I do like BBKers as a poster).

The Rangers were entertaining offers for Nash, but that was before Brassard was dealt. I don't think they're interested in systematically dismantling this team and removing all of its veteran scoring prowess, 3 zone play, and leadership. They got an offer for Brassard, got a young player close to Brassard in points and a nice pick. I understand that trade. But it ends there! That was the deal that came along, and in my opinion...it's over.

We have gotten younger. No more Dom Moore, no more Stalberg, no more Brassard. We're bringing on Buch & Vesey & Mika. Now is the time to stop. No need for overkill or we'll be on the outside looking in when it comes to the Playoffs.
Apparently you haven't learned.
Still in win now mode.
We were not good enough.
I like our improvements, but MORE is needed.
become part of the solution, not the problem
lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Would Minnesota do Spurgeon for Miller+Klein.
No way, right?

No way, WE do not want. Horrible value for NYR.

Back from vacation today.

I was hoping to see news that Vesey signed with the Rangers upon landing. He can probably step into the bottom six to start the season, but has the potential to be a 2nd line forward. He costed nothing but money. I like that he seems to be more of a scorer. No complaints from me, but it wouldn't have disappointed me if he went somewhere other than Boston, NJ, or the Islanders, because **** those guys.

I said this when the news broke, but there has to be a move coming. My thinking is that Nash, Zuccarello, and Fast are trade bait. I don't like the idea of losing another righty from the forward corps, but Nash or Zucc and Fast could land a legitimate top 4 RHD.

Who's available? I can see Trouba being available, though Winnipeg would almost assuredly ask for Skjei as part of a package in return, and Cheveldayoff is a stubborn ass to deal with in trades. I could even see Dougie Hamilton out of Calgary being available. Not sure they and the Rangers make good trading partners though.

Anaheim has to be the dancing partner here. They have too many great defensemen for too few spots. Montour and Theodore are both NHL ready. No team would pay a king's ransom for a kid that hasn't hit NHL ice yet. They would be a part of a package deal for an upgrade on the wings. Anaheim wants to upgrade their top 6 wingers, the Rangers have some that may be for sale.

I thought Kreider was a gloved fit for Anaheim's system, but it appears that the Rangers are committed to hoping that he turns a corner. Nash and Zuccarello are both excellent fits in Anaheim, despite the insistence of their fanbase. Silverfish may be onto something with Josh Manson. One of the NHL's best kept secrets. Advanced metrics through the roof.

Could the Rangers talk Anaheim into coughing up Manson AND Theodore if they give them Zuccarello, Fast, and a prospect not named Skjei or Buchnevich?

1. welcome back
2. no on giving up the younger McD (Skjei) when they will take the comparatively older McD
3. Concur on not moving Kreider. Kreider at 4.5 ish is keeper, Stepan will be ULTIMATELY replaced by younger Vesey (same type); at 6.5 w/pending NMC Stepan should be dealt.
4. Shrewd of you to bypass Montour after mentioning him. He would NOT be expansion draft exempt, which is HUGE.
5. Not optimistic any deal we'd be comfortable with can be had w/Ana but we should keep an open mind.
6. We have one shot when trading Zuc and Stepan. We should do all we can to
a) move NMCs Staal/Girardi
b) obtain exempt assets -- young prospects/picks --- so by using such futures we do not swap out guys that we will lose - or lose other valued assets - 'cause it is difficult to protect everybody.

If we do all THAT, we can not only challenge to the point of compete now, but set up to kick ass and dominate later.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

All of Miller's production and play can be replaced by Hudler or Pirri. They'd also be cheaper than Miller.

Pirri can replace Miller's production? Based on what?

And Hudler won't be cheaper than Miller.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What upside? I think we just saw a season where everything fires on all cylinders for JT Miller. I think we have seen his upside.

While making the team smaller, softer and (if its Hudler) slower.

You need a diversified attack up front.

At least you've graduated to offering up miller in proposals that wouldn't be an absolute disaster (see: Vermette and Vrbata.)

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Sorry, but you are short-sighted here.

Yes, in principle, unarguably. But this is not an example of that advantageous to NYR, without any offsetting considerations, IMO.

Or go younger and move McD and his pending NMC for a premium, such as Trouba + 2 pick upgrades....

All of Miller's production and play can be replaced by Hudler or Pirri.
Hell no.

They'd also be cheaper than Miller.
possibly, but not a better value, for sure.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Pirri can replace Miller's production? Based on what?

And Hudler won't be cheaper than Miller.

Basic box stats? 14 goals in 61 games last season. 22 in 49 the year before. The guy scores goals. He also shoots at rate (attempts per 60) nearly 50% more than Miller, so he scores his goals without having a shooting percentage that's better than Ovechkins.

Hudler will be cheaper than Miller. He hasn't signed yet. If he wants to play in the NHL this year, he's going to need a pay cut.

While making the team smaller, softer and (if its Hudler) slower.

You need a diversified attack up front.

At least you've graduated to offering up miller in proposals that wouldn't be an absolute disaster (see: Vermette and Vrbata.)

I stand by what I've said in the past and offered Miller for.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

!) You may be willing to part with Miller, but, there's nothing to indicate that the Rangers are.

2) There is also no indication the Rangers are interested in either Pirri or Hudler. And since they've been available at many instances over the past few years, and I've yet to hear the Rangers involved in pursing them, I maintain that neither are likely targets, especially with the current group of forwards in the fold.

We get it. You don't like Miller and feel he's replaceable. You're a great poster, but, much like ODC with Nash/McIlrath you're reaching the point of becoming a caricature in this particular instance. And, using a move like the Brassard for Zibanejad as evidence. I would surmise that Nash or Zuccarello for a young RHD is much likely to happen than your continued suggestions to move Miller. There is nothing to suggest Miller would be moved in such a deal, other than your own personal biases.

Mr Clutch

Jan 21, 2014
Virginia
Wow silverfish still is a miller hater. I mean at least recognize what he did last season and his potential. Happy you arent the gm. In what world do 23 year olds just stop developing or in your scenarios just decline? Miller isnt the guy we should be trading

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
!) You may be willing to part with Miller, but, there's nothing to indicate that the Rangers are.

2) There is also no indication the Rangers are interested in either Pirri or Hudler. And since they've been available at many instances over the past few years, and I've yet to hear the Rangers involved in pursing them, I maintain that neither are likely targets, especially with the current group of forwards in the fold.

We get it. You don't like Miller and feel he's replaceable. You're a great poster, but, much like ODC with Nash/McIlrath you're reaching the point of becoming a caricature in this particular instance. And, using a move like the Brassard for Zibanejad as evidence. I would surmise that Nash or Zuccarello for a young RHD is much likely to happen than your continued suggestions to move Miller. There is nothing to suggest Miller would be moved in such a deal, other than your own personal biases.

I think fortunately for me, my biases stay based in a realm that's backed up by empirical evidence, so at the least I have that going for me. Though, maybe that's just my biases talking.

There are a million things said in this thread that the Rangers will never end up doing. I don't think it's fair that I take the heat on my views about Miller when no one else takes the heat about their views about the players they trade. I think it's extra unfair because most posters don't take the team and do the research or the analysis that I do when I actually say that I want to trade Miller. List fifty reasons why, with the actual understanding that you need to give value to get value.

Meanwhile, people are trading Staal to Dallas for Honka, or claiming that LA would be interested in Staal. LA, being a team built entirely off of controlled zone exits is going to trade for Marc Staal? Okay.

But hey, could just be my bias.

I'll end the Miller **** here now. But I gotta say, it riles me up when people talk about a dime a dozen player who just posted a bat**** insane outlier of a season like he's some untouchable force that's necessary to the Rangers' success.

And again I'll say here that I hope Miller continues to prove me wrong. Both for his life, for the success for the Rangers, and selfishly, for me to learn from my mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad