Speculation: Offseason Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
TheFourthPeriod 10:53am via Twitter Web Client Sharks trying to deal Havlat, instead of buy out (+listening on Marleau, Niemi). Canes trying to move Ward. Leafs exploring multiple options

And that Marleau-Marchand rumor has been debunked by Bruins.

I am very curious to see how the Havlat situation pans out. He has 1 year on his contract and some team may want to take a chance with him. Chances are high though that it will be a non-contending team and Havlat does not waive his NMC for them.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
More and more I'm getting the feeling Patty is going to be traded and JT isn't? Maybe Patty is traded first and JT decides to waive because of it?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
More and more I'm getting the feeling Patty is going to be traded and JT isn't? Maybe Patty is traded first and JT decides to waive because of it?

Maybe that's DW's thinking. Trade Marleau first and see if JT will waive once he's gone.

That is exactly my feeling. But man I am going to be upset if we start the season without Patty but still with Jumbo.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
That is exactly my feeling. But man I am going to be upset if we start the season without Patty but still with Jumbo.

That would be a huge mistake if DW let's this happen.

It better be for something good though. No trading him just to trade him

Doubt he trades him just to trade him. What if they both agree to only waive to play on the same team together? We'd be screwed.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
That would be a huge mistake if DW let's this happen.

Doubt he trades him just to trade him. What if they both agree to only waive to play on the same team together? We'd be screwed.

It is most likely going to be a Playoff contender. If it is also the same team too then that is definitely going to be difficult to accommodate unless we decide to retain a lot of salary.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Good to see Nemi being shopped though. If the Sharks are able to sell him for a second and draft Thatcher Demko, id be really happy.

OnTheFence

Oct 11, 2009
I have a terrible feeling that after the Kings close it out tonight, DW is going to do a 180 and go all-in for one more year with the reasoning that theoretically we were 1 game away from winning the cup.

Havlat + 1st to Buff for their 2nd

Some big free agency signing

Trade for an overpaid unwanted defenseman like a Mike Green or Phaneuf.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have a terrible feeling that after the Kings close it out tonight, DW is going to do a 180 and go all-in for one more year with the reasoning that theoretically we were 1 game away from winning the cup.

That is stupid as hell. There's zero reason to do that trade.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I dont think DW would make that trade drunk. That is horrible.

As far as him going all-in for one more year is concerned, I would not have given that a second thought unless he would have been vocal about the rebuild. It is too big a risk for him to not go the rebuild route after that. He has not had even a single SC appearance to show for his time as a GM. If he does decides to go all-in and we don't win the SC, he is going to be fired. And mathematically, there is much better chance of us not winning the SC.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I am very curious to see how the Havlat situation pans out. He has 1 year on his contract and some team may want to take a chance with him. Chances are high though that it will be a non-contending team and Havlat does not waive his NMC for them.

Havlat is SOL and won't be here next season. He either has a choice in where he would waive NMC for or he'll be bought out. No middle ground.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento

He won't waive the NMC, they'll have to buy him out, then he can sign with any team interested.

That would seem to be the route in his best interest. And he's got a good grip on the wheel.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He won't waive the NMC, they'll have to buy him out, then he can sign with any team interested.

That would seem to be the route in his best interest. And he's got a good grip on the wheel.

It depends on what is important to him. If it's all about money then he will waive his NMC to get paid six million next year. Chances of him getting bought out for four million and signing for 2 million or more elsewhere is not that good but if he wants to play for a winner then the buyout route is the best thing for him.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
It depends on what is important to him. If it's all about money then he will waive his NMC to get paid six million next year. Chances of him getting bought out for four million and signing for 2 million or more elsewhere is not that good but if he wants to play for a winner then the buyout route is the best thing for him.

Maybe. I dunno. I have never liked Havlat's game, but I can still see him fielding multiple offers around the $2M range. He isn't as bad as he's looked here.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
It better be for something good though. No trading him just to trade him

Exactly. With Spezza and Kesler and probably Richards/Lecavalier/etc and the UFAs like Stasny all available, there is quite some competition in the center market.

DW is not going to trade them for peanuts, so we should be patient and not blow a gasket if one of them is still on the roster to start the year. They might be traded during the season as well...

ThePlanet

Aug 13, 2008
San Jose
I don't know why, but I have a gut feeling that Havlat would waive for NJ so that he could hang out with his BFF, Elias.

Please, DW, make is so.

HipCzech

Just win the game
Mar 25, 2004
Overpriced Bay
I am in favor of a small re-build to try and put us in the same spot the 08-09 Hawks were in, and leavin Marleau on the team to be a veteran calming presence, plus he fits our style of play much better than Pavelski or Thornton. I'm of the belief that we can trade away the Joes, liquidate a few more assets, pick up some players whose values are at an all time low, and win the cup in 2 years.

What assets? The cupboard is pretty bare.

I'm fine with trading the Joes, but not digging a bigger hole by trading more futures. Don't want to end up like Toronto. Trading Marleau will get a nice return and we can get a UFA vet to be the calming presence.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

Despite all my misgivings about Havlat's play or that of any other buyout candidate, almost all buyout players manage to compensate for the loss of salary which comes with the buyout. Most even top the salary that they would have received with subsequent contracts. The guy who stands out for not quite getting there is Redden. Even Gomez managed.

The reason for Havlat to cooperate on a trade is to control his destination. If he and DW aren't getting any bites, then he'll get bought out and hit the market.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Despite all my misgivings about Havlat's play or that of any other buyout candidate, almost all buyout players manage to compensate for the loss of salary which comes with the buyout. Most even top the salary that they would have received with subsequent contracts. The guy who stands out for not quite getting there is Redden. Even Gomez managed.

The reason for Havlat to cooperate on a trade is to control his destination. If he and DW aren't getting any bites, then he'll get bought out and hit the market.

And if he hits the market, he controls his destination there too. He'd have more control hitting the market depending on his priorities.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
That would be an epic failure of a rebuild haha. In DW we trust...

Sorry if this is a stupid question but up until a couple weeks ago I haven't real been following things since game seven BUT...

Has DW used the term "REBUILD"

I don't recall seeing that term in any press notes but I might have missed it, if so can someone please point me in the correct direction.

Thanks

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Sorry if this is a stupid question but up until a couple weeks ago I haven't real been following things since game seven BUT...

Has DW used the term "REBUILD"

I don't recall seeing that term in any press notes but I might have missed it, if so can someone please point me in the correct direction.

Thanks

Yes, yes he has. I think in two different instances to. I don't have the direct quotes but I'm sure someone will post em haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad