Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Who cares Bergiven stated he was not being shopped only to be moved next day , also Strickland is pretty credible a lot more than you says he is being shopped . And Subban's personality could easily rub people the wrong way which has been mentioned times.

LOL "Who cares what those close to the team say, some random guy is confirming my preexisting beliefs!"

First: Bergevin is an idiot. Poile is not. Second: Strickland has said nothing about PK being shopped. His only word on the subject is this:

"If PK Subban is avail as some are suggesting I think it’s safe to assume there’s more to it than just his cap number"

So he's just repeating someone else's rumour and adding his own spin. He's also not a guy who is close to the Preds so he has no inside info here. This is a whole lot of nothing.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That comment by Chia shouldn't be a huge surprise. He stated similar things at the year end presser. He said he was happy with his wingers (so don't expect any big name wingers coming here).

Said wanted to improve defense and depth. So that is what I expect him to do. Now my question is: Is J. Faulk a small tweak? IMO yes. I don't he Faulk should cost a whole bunch to acquire.

Trade for Faulk and then improve the bottom 6 (J. Hansen, D. Ryan/Beagle/Brodziak, Roussel/Komarov, etc). He'll probably add 2-3 players at forward. And then 1 guy on defense (Faulk/Green)

Faulk is not a "tweak". If we are taking Chia at his word (which I don't buy personally) then additions like Faulk are not going to happen. I think this is posturing, I doubt that he makes just small tweaks with his job being as secure as it was last offseason.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Who exactly do we have in the top 6 RW? Unless the plan is to have both Yama and Puju there? yikes, looks like our winger depth will be trash once again.
I think the plan is to have 3 solid pairs for the top 9 and then rotate right wingers. Team doesn't have a ton of cap and maybe the hope is with new assistants some of our underperforming youth can blow up. That or maybe Chia is just not showing everything yet?

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
LOL "Who cares what those close to the team say, some random guy is confirming my preexisting beliefs!"

First: Bergevin is an idiot. Poile is not. Second: Strickland has said nothing about PK being shopped. His only word on the subject is this:

"If PK Subban is avail as some are suggesting I think it’s safe to assume there’s more to it than just his cap number"

So he's just repeating someone else's rumour and adding his own spin. He's also not a guy who is close to the Preds so he has no inside info here. This is a whole lot of nothing.
Glad you think Poile is the only sinless person to walk the earth other than JC moving on Bergevin lying idiot Poile perfect god lmao

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Faulk is not a "tweak". If we are taking Chia at his word (which I don't buy personally) then additions like Faulk are not going to happen. I think this is posturing, I doubt that he makes just small tweaks with his job being as secure as it was last offseason.

I think Faulk is a tweak because I think he is vastly overrated. I can't pull up the #'s right now but I know I looked at his xGA sometime in Feb or Mar and he was the 2nd worse dman in the entire league! The only dman worse than him was Ceci.

Faulk is an extremely flawed player. The only reason I want him on the Oilers is he does possess a shot (a right shot which is important) that can be utilized on the PP. Other than that we are going to have to shelter him like crazy and give him lots of offensive zone starts (like the Canes did). He is a very bad defensive player and there is no way I would give up much for Faulk at all. The only reason I bring him up is I feel he is attainable. I much rather prefer other options but just can't think of teams moving any of them.

Maybe NJ with Severson since they scratched him in the playoffs (and Vatanen and Butcher have surpassed him on the depth chart). But I just don't see many other options and thus I've settled for Faulk. But I can't stress this enough....no way would I move big assets for him. Only a complete idiot would. His reputation is much better than the actual player.

Reactions: VainGretzky

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Depends what people consider a tweak is. For me it depends what is leaving. Moving a Klefbom for Ristolainen is not a tweak. Trading 2 seconds (one this year and one next year) - in other words no playing assets - for Faulk is a tweak albeit a bit more of a twinge than a tweak. He’d be our PP QB and playing in the second pair.

I think though we will see moves addressing wingers on the bottom 6 with inexpensive free agents but I do get the sense we’re going to see a bit of a larger move at the D position. I don’t see Ristolainen Klefbom type move coming though.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Faulk has been a negative impact player in his career every year but one , which means he has once in his career have had a season where his out put is greater on the ice wthan what he has given up, This is rare for any player to have a track record this bad , no Oiler dman currently on this team has had worse . Faulk is junk horrible dman at defending , it amazes me how people think he is worth assets , they read his stat line and think he is a good player , and surely don't watch him play.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I think the plan is to have 3 solid pairs for the top 9 and then rotate right wingers. Team doesn't have a ton of cap and maybe the hope is with new assistants some of our underperforming youth can blow up. That or maybe Chia is just not showing everything yet?

3 solid pairs? Who’s that?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
BLOG: Chiarelli comments on assistant coaching changes

"We're looking at a lot of different things. We're looking at some tweaks to the bottom half and possible tweaks to the defence core in general. I like this roster for the most part, there's a strong critical mass there, but I think we're going to look more towards not making any major moves."
As for up front, Chiarelli commented on how a lack of veteran presence at forward could be addressed in the build-up to the start of the 2018-19 season in October.
"We've looked at some veterans at various forward positions throughout our meetings. We lost some leadership last year, and that impacted us and it's a legitimate point. It's hard to airlift a veteran in and expect him to have that same type of leadership, but we're looking at those types of players in the free agent market and the trade market."

No whale hunting expedition this summer but perhaps more of a tuna fishing trip.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think Faulk is a tweak because I think he is vastly overrated. I can't pull up the #'s right now but I know I looked at his xGA sometime in Feb or Mar and he was the 2nd worse dman in the entire league! The only dman worse than him was Ceci.

Faulk is an extremely flawed player. The only reason I want him on the Oilers is he does possess a shot (a right shot which is important) that can be utilized on the PP. Other than that we are going to have to shelter him like crazy and give him lots of offensive zone starts (like the Canes did). He is a very bad defensive player and there is no way I would give up much for Faulk at all. The only reason I bring him up is I feel he is attainable. I much rather prefer other options but just can't think of teams moving any of them.

Maybe NJ with Severson since they scratched him in the playoffs (and Vatanen and Butcher have surpassed him on the depth chart). But I just don't see many other options and thus I've settled for Faulk. But I can't stress this enough....no way would I move big assets for him. Only a complete idiot would. His reputation is much better than the actual player.

Faulk is flawed but he's not going to be given away, it's going to cost something fairly substantial to acquire him. If he's considered a tweak then what are Dmen like Nurse and Klefbom considered? They are all similar level Dmen albeit different types of players. IMO, there's zero chance you get Faulk for the likes of Benning, Cagguila, 2nd rounder etc. The ask will likely be 10th, Puljujarvi or RNH.

Severson isn't a tweak either, can't imagine that the Devils are just going to give him away.
Adding some competition for the bottom pairing are tweaks (Persson etc,).

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Ryan's rights are worth maybe a 5th as he a UFA--but do you think Benning, Cags and two second get you Faulk? My guess Canes would say make it two first instead--Faulk has two years left on his contract so he is not a rental.
HAHAHA, the Canes would make it "2 1st", this if Faulk not Doughty.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Depends what people consider a tweak is. For me it depends what is leaving. Moving a Klefbom for Ristolainen is not a tweak. Trading 2 seconds (one this year and one next year) - in other words no playing assets - for Faulk is a tweak albeit a bit more of a twinge than a tweak. He’d be our PP QB and playing in the second pair.

I think though we will see moves addressing wingers on the bottom 6 with inexpensive free agents but I do get the sense we’re going to see a bit of a larger move at the D position. I don’t see Ristolainen Klefbom type move coming though.

What about instead of Klef they sent out Nurse in a lefty for righty swap? Nurse-Severson, say.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Who exactly do we have in the top 6 RW? Unless the plan is to have both Yama and Puju there? yikes, looks like our winger depth will be trash once again.
I think they've likely got it pencilled in to have Rattie and Pulju as the top 6 RWs to start the year. Third line will likely be a vet who can kill penalties and could potentially step into the top 6 if needed, Jannik Hansen makes a ton of sense now with his familiarity with Gulutzan. Then they'll probably bring in a 4th line C to let them move Khaira up to 3rd line winger. This is kinda my thoughts as to what the forwards could look like to start at least:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Khaira-Strome-Hansen
Caggiula-xxxx-Kassian

I wouldn't hate bringing back Cammalleri as a depth forward either, but I wouldn't want him playing more than 40/50 games ideally. He seemed to fit in and provide some leadership when he came over.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
img_8400.jpg

Reactions: Raoul Duke
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad