Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I am one of the few oiler fans that is not over the moon with Parayko to give up both pizza boy and Leon D for him--if we move any of our under 23 core for a D man we will be aiming for a dman who can get 10+ goals something he has not done yet--but this is just me. I think any discussion about Parayko value will never end well between Blues fans and other fan bases
Has a Blues fan offered Robert Thomas+ before though as a replacement for Leon?

Watching CP at the Worlds with McDavid was filthy. No reason why CP can't eclipse 10+ goals. Not sure why he hasn't done it yet.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Greetings Oilers fans. I come in peace.

I scrolled through a few posts here and see alot of speculation about Puljujarvi possibly getting moved. Color me interested as a Blues fan in JP and Draisaitl. Colton Parayko and Robert Thomas+ going back the other way. The only problem for Blues is it wrecks our top 4. Still think there could be a potential match here which would involve Blues GM Armstrong moving two pieces that are "untouchable".
Draisaitl>Parayko
Puljujarvi>Thomas
What part of that makes sense?
Honestly wouldn’t even do Draisaitl for Parayko and Thomas.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'd hate to see what happened to the Oilers home PK again a lot more.

It's not like we've dressing real NHL players in that spot anyway.

It took them a while to fix, but the PK was trending the right way for the last 30 games or so of the season and finished the season slightly above average in terms of goals against and they did it without adding a broken down vet.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Watching CP at the Worlds with McDavid was filthy. No reason why CP can't eclipse 10+ goals. Not sure why he hasn't done it yet.

The Oilers are moving RNH to wing, probably full time, and that creates a heavy need for Leon Draisaitl to remain. Robert Thomas is a really good prospect, but Leon is 70+ point centre today.

I like Parayko, and Puljujarvi might move in a deal for a player like that with more pieces, but I don't think Leon will be involved at all.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There would have to be

here is a question

Given Trent Yawney's connection to Maroon and Maroon openly saying he liked it in Edmonton--does that increase the chance of Maroon coming back to Edmonton?

Not if his ask is anywhere near 5x5. The Maroon ship sailed the day Chia asked his agent how much before trading him.

Reactions: OilDrop37

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

as as oiler fan I see what Leon D does on the oilers second line--I see a PPG player- I do not see the oilers trading that for a D man who may get 10 goals if that makes sense

At the NHL level Thomas is a complete unkown and with Pizza Boy we see glipses of what he can be at the nhl level. All I know is what I see in scouting reports for Thomas and most say solid 3rd liner center who maybe able to step up and be a 2nd line center--but it is unknown how he will adapt to the NHL level

We are giving up a legit 2nd liner C who looks to be developing in to a PPG player and a winger who is still developing and shows signs of being solid on the puck and playing a good two way game-there was a reason why he was ranked so high his draft year

I see this trade hurting the oilers more then helping as it takes away our second level scoring after McDavid

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think the kind of tweaking is going to be the Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Matt Calvert type. Guys with some offensive upside who won’t break the bank in dollars or command too much term. Perhaps an Antoine Roussell, and/or guys a bit younger like Brandon Pirri or Mathew Peca. All experienced UFA’s and none your giving up assets for.

Any trades will involve our number 10 depending on whose available and will bring in a ready to play offensive defenseman.

None of these impacts our young still developing depth we have so far and allows us to move the dial forward now while being cap realistic.

That’s my sense of reading the tea leaves that we’ve been hearing from Chia.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I think the kind of tweaking is going to be the Riley Nash, Derek Ryan, Matt Calvert type. Guys with some offensive upside who won’t break the bank in dollars or command too much term. Perhaps an Antoine Roussell, and/or guys a bit younger like Brandon Pirri or Mathew Peca. All experienced UFA’s and none your giving up assets for.

Any trades will involve our number 10 depending on whose available and will bring in a ready to play offensive defenseman.

None of these impacts our young still developing depth we have so far and allows us to move the dial forward now while being cap realistic.

Too much bad blood between the oilers and Riley Nash for him to come as long as either Mact or Lowe are anywhere in the organization

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Chia was Harvard (he was with the Sens when Nash was drafted) and Nash played at Cornell(and that was part if the problem OBC did not hold UNIs in high regard at the time)
He was probably referring to in Boston..

To answer that Sweeney brought Nash to Boston, not Chia.

Reactions: Night Witch

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Think Robert Thomas is getting undersold a bit here. He's one of the top players in the OHL.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Think Robert Thomas is getting undersold a bit here. He's one of the top players in the OHL.
so was Yak, we don't care about top players in junior, we aren't moving a 70 point big centre for this top prospect, if he doesn't turn out we moved jp and drai for cp ... no thanks.
10th and jp for cp

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
meh it just wasn't funny, sorry didnt mean to make the post as negative as it was , but lighten up bro, its gonna be a long offseason, learn to laugh :D

I was laughing. Laughing at the idea that the Oilers have enough good players to put together three strong pairs when it's McDavid, Drai, Nuge and a whole lotta hope.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Besides the Lucic, Maroon and Kassian moves which were 2 years ago, what makes you think that Chia currently is targeting this type of player? Seems like he's more focused on speed and skill with his drafting and moves last season.

In any event, they can't afford to bring in another horrendous contract even if Chia wanted to.

Ryan Strome is less skilled nor as quick as Eberle. He was a specific type of player Chiarelli targeted. Hes not in the same tier as Lucic/Kassian for toughness or face punchedness, but hes closer to that than he is skilled and fast

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Depends what people consider a tweak is. For me it depends what is leaving. Moving a Klefbom for Ristolainen is not a tweak. Trading 2 seconds (one this year and one next year) - in other words no playing assets - for Faulk is a tweak albeit a bit more of a twinge than a tweak. He’d be our PP QB and playing in the second pair.

I think though we will see moves addressing wingers on the bottom 6 with inexpensive free agents but I do get the sense we’re going to see a bit of a larger move at the D position. I don’t see Ristolainen Klefbom type move coming though.

Man, absolutely bang on. HFOil needs more of this. treading roster players is the most minimal of small tweaks. In fact, its not really much even at the best of time. You are swapping one player who contributed for your team, for another who will contribute a similar amount

The main way to improve a team is NOT player for player trades. Its pick and prospects (not contributing to an NHL team currently), for an NHL player. Find the teams that want to build longer term and who value picks/prospects more and trade with them.

Or the other way is to sign players as you are trading cap space for NHL players- but be careful in free agency. The Oilers are a better team signing Green vs trading Klefbom for RR. Klefbom + Green >>> RR + cap space (dump other players if cap space is needed).

or like you talked about, trade picks/prospects for Faulk. And doesnt have to be junk either, we have the 10th, Yamamoto, Jones, Bear, Benson etc

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Aberg, Hebig, Yammer.....etc.

Wont disagree on drafting ( he did draft Pasta in Boston in the 1st round). But Aberg for me is a marginal trade and Hebig is nothing to even consider as this is a dime a dozen overager signing (Mitch Holmberg anyone). With Strome he actively made a big move in swapping skill for a depth player of a particular skillset

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I think the three guys you initially mentioned are well out of our price range. Riley Nash just put up 41 points in Boston and is looking like he might be a solid option for some teams as a third line center in the prime of his career. Derek Ryan made some decent dollars last season and looks poised for a nice raises in the $2-3m range. Calvert made $2.9m in cash/$2.2m cap last season so his price tag is probably somewhere beyond what he's worth to us. Same goes for Roussel.

I've mentioned them already but I think Jannik Hansen and Shawn Matthias are good value gambles. Both are Gulutzan PK guys from Vancouver. Hansen is a quick skater, has a good shot and has scored the majority of his points in the NHL at evens. Considering the year he just had, 2-14-16 in 46 games, he's probably due for a significant pay cut from the $3m take home/$2.5 cap he made last season. Matthias on the other hand was a non-factor last year in Winnipeg. He got buried in depth and was never even utilized on the PK at all. But when you look at his shooting percentages in previous years (15.7, 11.9, 13.6), he's a guy who'll probably be a good bet to knock in 10-15 goals from your fourth line, where he's best suited. He can also play both C/W. There's a good chance you can get both of those players for the cost of one of the others.

As for Pirri and Peca, I'm all for signing guys with good offensive pedigree in the AHL. Worst case scenario is they're a good depth addition to the farm that's looking poised to be very solid offensively next season. I'd add Austin Czarnik to that list as well considering he's a Chiarelli/Gretzky add from their Boston days.

My point is that I can't see the Oilers going even medium-sized fish hunting considering their cap situation. The Oilers main issue last season organizationally was a significant lack of depth--especially at forward. I think this summer, we'll see more volume added organizationally than big name signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad