Rumor: Offseason Rumors Thread #1 | Trade Milan, Milan So Far Away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Are you really defending the Russell signing? They gave a 4 year deal and a NMC (insanity) to a Dman who is slated to be a 3rd pairing D throughout the majority of that contract. A team that was already going to have cap concerns as is.

Loading up on a 2 year deal would have made a lot more sense and if Russell didn't like it then good luck on the free agent market Kris. Keep in mind that this was a player who WANTED to be in Alberta and nowhere else yet Chia still completely caved.
Yeah I was never about the money, it was always the NMC. If they wanted to do a 10 team NTC than fine. But the NMC is....ugh.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah I was never about the money, it was always the NMC. If they wanted to do a 10 team NTC than fine. But the NMC is....ugh.
Meh it doesn't really matter right now anyway. That NMC isn't exactly hurting. He will have 10 and then 15 teams that he has to list next year and the year after, which gives quite a bit of flexibility.

Reactions: The Nuge

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Meh it doesn't really matter right now anyway. That NMC isn't exactly hurting. He will have 10 and then 15 teams that he has to list next year and the year after, which gives quite a bit of flexibility.
Well his and Sekeras and Lucics NMC is hurting us. We need to improve our defense and can't really afford to add to the cap there without moving some out. Moving Sekeras or Russel's cap out would be massively ideal, but we can't do that this year.

Which is okay cause it prevents Chia from making big moves but it just continues the new decade of failure.

Damned either way.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Yes it is hurting. It precludes them from moving his contract this offseason and making them a real player in free agency.
They would have had no problem offering Green a 3-4 year contract if Russell wasn't on the books. Could have been in the Carlson sweepstakes as well although that was always a longshot with him being American.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Oh so then next year Mike Green is the problem contract?

Injury prone d-man that is looking for what is probably his last shot at a long-term contract.

How could that go wrong.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Oh so then next year Mike Green is the problem contract?

Injury prone d-man that is looking for what is probably his last shot at a long-term contract.

How could that go wrong.

I'd rather have Green than Russell, that's for sure. Green also fits the Oilers needs a lot better. I'm not even his biggest fan but I'd certainly take him over Russell.

The point is that Russell's contract is absolutely hurting the Oilers right now. It didn't last year but it does now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Yes it is hurting. It precludes them from moving his contract this offseason and making them a real player in free agency.

That thinking is why players insist on NMCs/NTCs. The guy clearly wanted to be in Alberta. Calgary is a gong show. But, but, but sign him to a four year deal and trade him after one when he earned his contract?

Trading him this off-season would have been slimey and deceitful. He insisted upon the partial NMC he has and got it. Seems like it was a deal breaker for him. People are complaining about why the contract 'might' be bad in the future when it was pretty good last season.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Are you really defending the Russell signing? They gave a 4 year deal and a NMC (insanity) to a Dman who is slated to be a 3rd pairing D throughout the majority of that contract. A team that was already going to have cap concerns as is.

Loading up on a 2 year deal would have made a lot more sense and if Russell didn't like it then good luck on the free agent market Kris. Keep in mind that this was a player who WANTED to be in Alberta and nowhere else yet Chia still completely caved.
In a season where literally the entirety of the fanbase is complaining that Chiarelli didn't address the defense sufficiently, the same group chooses to complain about the contract of Kris Russell, who was an extremely effective TOP-FOUR defenseman on the previous season's playoff roster. I'm not even defending it, I'm saying it doesn't bother me because I understamd that NHL players don't take pay cuts. Their agents make their money getting them competitive market value for their service. I'd prefer less and I'd prefer no NMC, but I can acknowledge that a .9m raise isn't horribly significant and a NMC on two years of a four year contract likely isn't even going to be used.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't on HF Boards.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
In a season where literally the entirety of the fanbase is complaining that Chiarelli didn't address the defense sufficiently, the same group chooses to complain about the contract of Kris Russell, who was an extremely effective TOP-FOUR defenseman on the previous season's playoff roster. I'm not even defending it, I'm saying it doesn't bother me because I understamd that NHL players don't take pay cuts. Their agents make their money getting them competitive market value for their service. I'd prefer less and I'd prefer no NMC, but I can acknowledge that a .9m raise isn't horribly significant and a NMC on two years of a four year contract likely isn't even going to be used.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't on HF Boards.

He was a top 4 Dman on that team 2 years ago but with Nurse and Klefbom's emergence, he was not going to be a top 4 Dman here going forward. This should have been taken into account looking forward.

Again, he wanted to be in Alberta. Chia should have explained to him that he couldn't afford to give him a long term deal and NMC because of their impending cap situation so if he REALLY wanted to be here, he would have to take a pay cut or at least a shorter term with a higher caphit. There was no reason to give him max term (no team is giving him more than 4 years) and a NMC outside of desperation and laziness.

To clarify, I like Russell being on the team as a short term stopgap, just not as a long term fix.

Reactions: Jamin

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well since you brought it up...its the lowest OZT (52%) since 2010 and was less than Tavares. If you watched the Islanders, Barzal line did not start rolling till paired with Eberle, they are a nice fit. You are going to have to decide, is it the line is sheltered or Barzal should get all the credit. They are the second line with the Islanders, how much can you possibly shelter? He still had more hits than the guy we traded for him. Now that his shooting % is back to normal, so are his points. We made the bad trade at the wrong time because he had a down season.

Or a good player decided to put in effort after not doing so in Edmonton. Would he have done the same here? Doubtful, as he couldn't be bothered to in the playoffs even. Sometimes a change of scenery and being paired with a PPG dynamic player is what a player needs to get back to playing decent.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Or a good player decided to put in effort after not doing so in Edmonton. Would he have done the same here? Doubtful, as he couldn't be bothered to in the playoffs even. Sometimes a change of scenery and being paired with a PPG dynamic player is what a player needs to get back to playing decent.
Or a good player had a tough year and than bounced back? It's not like we didn't have dynamic ppg or close centers to play him with. Don't care about the trade anymore but just saying.

Reactions: Jamin

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Or a good player had a tough year and than bounced back? It's not like we didn't have dynamic ppg or close centers to play him with. Don't care about the trade anymore but just saying.

If you watched him this season and compared it to last season and a chunk of the one before you'll get your answer. The part that was missing was the effort. Hall woke up after getting dealt, he said so. It's pretty obvious Eberle did the same. All that losing took its toll on players who were used to being winners.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If you watched him this season and compared it to last season and a chunk of the one before you'll get your answer. The part that was missing was the effort. Hall woke up after getting dealt, he said so. It's pretty obvious Eberle did the same. All that losing took its toll on players who were used to being winners.
Hall was meh last year too. Took a sit down with the GM to get his head on straight

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Was just thinking this
Sekera, 10/Puljujarvi, Benning
For
Ristolainen
I feel it is a bit of an over payment but would Buffalo bite
Nurse, Larsson
Klefbom, Ristolainen
Russel, whomever cheap
Of course Sekera would have to waive his NMC but if he would, would you do the deal

I would

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Hall was meh last year too. Took a sit down with the GM to get his head on straight

That is true. I'm sure Schultz probably spent extensive time with a therapist after he escaped. Thankfully it doesn't look like Nuge was infected. Part of the reason why I think he shouldn't be dealt this offseason.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That is true. I'm sure Schultz probably spent extensive time with a therapist after he escaped. Thankfully it doesn't look like Nuge was infected. Part of the reason why I think he shouldn't be dealt this offseason.
Nuge is too laidback to be effrcted by it imo

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nuge is too laidback to be effrcted by it imo
I just think he has more resolve and didn't have it as easy. Some players fold when faced with adversity for the first times in their lives. Nuge didn't grow up in quite as privileged situation as the rest of the wonder kids.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
In their world Eberle would have been “guaranteed” to have his same regular season performance here as he did in the Island where their scoring forwards, Tavares included, have no clue how to play defence but can toe drag with the best of them.

Eberle was basically benched in the 3rd period and OT of the Canada Russia game because he can’t figure out what the word “compete”means. Once again in important elimination games, he plays his way down to the 4th line.
Eberle was very good in the 1st period and Peters benched basically half of the team down the stretch, all it really says is that he wasn't one of the 6 or so best forwards for Canada. Peters is a heavily defensive minded coach in general and he doesn't tend to be partial to river boat gamblers, like the duo of Barzal and Eberle.

As an aside arguing that Eberle wouldn't have similar regular season performance elsewhere seems rather stupid given his points production was tracking closely with his career average and his relatively poor season last year with us was largely because of shooting percentage which as a rule of thumb heavily trends back to the norm. Eberle is a talented player, full stop; and he will get his regular season points, just like he has been doing for the better part of a decade. A flawed player to be sure, but his strengths are obvious and arguing against them is a foolish thing to do.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Eberle was very good in the 1st period and Peters benched basically half of the team down the stretch, all it really says is that he wasn't one of the 6 or so best forwards for Canada. Peters is a heavily defensive minded coach in general and he doesn't tend to be partial to river boat gamblers, like the duo of Barzal and Eberle.

As an aside arguing that Eberle wouldn't have similar regular season performance elsewhere seems rather stupid given his points production was tracking closely with his career average and his relatively poor season last year with us was largely because of shooting percentage which as a rule of thumb heavily trends back to the norm. Eberle is a talented player, full stop; and he will get his regular season points, just like he has been doing for the better part of a decade. A flawed player to be sure, but his strengths are obvious and arguing against them is a foolish thing to do.

His strengths are obvious and his weaknesses moreso.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Peters doesn't like river boat gamblers? Man Gaudreau gonna get no ice time next year.

Reactions: McIce Whole

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
He was traded because he owned a $6m cap hit which would've eliminated all of our available cap space this summer. He was a player who wasn't exactly appreciating in value either. Finding a way out of the majority of that salary without having to take some back was never a given and holding onto him for another year would've been an unnecessary risk.

As for the Russell deal, two pages ago. Market value. What do you expect? These guys to take a pay-cut after a successful first season?
A quick google has us finishing the year with over 11 million.

Edmonton Oilers Team Salary Cap 2018-2019

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Scott Cullen had some interesting names on his list for the Oilers Off Season Game plan. Burakovsky is one I thought might be a good target (especially if Caps take a run at resigning Carlsson). Brandon Saad was also mentioned. The non-NHLers too... Czarnik, Agostino, and Pirri as cheap options in the Ty Rattie mould. Another name on defines that hasn't been mentioned much is Letang. Wonder if the Pens would move him. They need to resign some players this summer and next. He and Kessel are big price tags that would allow them to retain Guentzal, Murray, Brassard & Hagelin, as well as attract some free agents. Just a thought.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Was just thinking this
Sekera, 10/Puljujarvi, Benning
For
Ristolainen
I feel it is a bit of an over payment but would Buffalo bite
Nurse, Larsson
Klefbom, Ristolainen
Russel, whomever cheap
Of course Sekera would have to waive his NMC but if he would, would you do the deal

I would

That’s a deal with potential to be a massive loss for us. Sekera before his injury was arguably better than Risto. If he bounces back and we lost the 10th and Benning, that’s a BAD trade. That said, I’d probably do it. Risto solves our issues on the PP, and gives us a really balanced top 4. And Russell on the bottom pairing can easily shelter a weaker partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad