OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Felger's not wrong, but his tone shows he was just fishing for attention
It's what he does. Don't listen. I don't. He just goes out and tries to piss people off to get calls. It would be a boring radio show if he didn't creat controversy.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Felger's main problem now is not how CBS feels but the new owner Beasley does as they take over in a matter of weeks.

Our Team - BBGI

I suspect he will give a very humble apology today at 2 PM

Michael Felger gets static over Roy Halladay rant

When reached last night Felger declined to comment.

“NBC Boston doesn’t want me to talk about it tonight,” Felger told the Herald. “My boss doesn’t want me to say anything about this tonight. Again, my boss doesn’t want me to say anything.”

Felger is a former Boston Herald sports reporter and columnist. Attempts to reach station management last night were unsuccessful.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Not something I'd say, or even agree with (at all). But that said, I don't want to see hosts muzzled for PC purposes, or giving into pressure from the SJW community who don't listen to the show anyway. If he feels that way, he should be able to say it. I value honesty in radio, and I think that is why Minnihane is so successful. Transparency, and fearless opinions on the Adam Jones story, and the Red Sox organization in general.

Let the free market, and sponsors decide. I'd expect he'll apologize, like the Heidi Watney incident, and move on. Big game in Denver Sunday.
This is where I stand. A scary thought in this day in age that people want others to lose their job because of their opinion.

Reactions: Midship and BMC

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This is where I stand. A scary thought in this day in age that people want others to lose their job because of their opinion.

Well we live in a time where folks think their sensibilities are vitally important and we don't teach our young how to ignore negative things or cope with hardship or insult, so I expect the idea of losing your livelihood due to an opinion is going to become commonplace.

20 years ago this story would have read something like "Jackass radio host whom everyone knows lives to stir the pot tries to stir the pot by being insensitive to a perfect stranger who died just days ago. Nobody cares. In other news, it's getting cold outside."

Reactions: Seidenbergy

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Felger taking a break until Monday is probably the best course of action. However hearing him getting calls today would be good radio

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
His timing & tone were awful but I understand his point. A relatively inexperienced pilot flying an aircraft he really couldn't handle & crashing it is not a new phenomenon, JFK Jr & John Denver were both killed that way. In the 2000s a Yankee pitcher (can't recall his name) crashed his airplane into a building as a result of his inexperience. I can't remember if pilot inexperience was a factor in Thurman Munson's plane crash. There seems to be a pride/ego factor involved, "I'm super successful in my field so I can handle anything including flying an aircraft I'm not really qualified to fly."

Granted we don't know yet if pilot error caused the crash or if there was a mechanical problem or if it was both but it won't surprise me if it turns out Roy Halliday made an error he couldn't correct.

The saddest thing is two children will have to grow up without their father.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
His timing & tone were awful but I understand his point. A relatively inexperienced pilot flying an aircraft he really couldn't handle & crashing it is not a new phenomenon, JFK Jr & John Denver were both killed that way. In the 2000s a Yankee pitcher (can't recall his name) crashed his airplane into a building as a result of his inexperience. I can't remember if pilot inexperience was a factor in Thurman Munson's plane crash. There seems to be a pride/ego factor involved, "I'm super successful in my field so I can handle anything including flying an aircraft I'm not really qualified to fly."

Granted we don't know yet if pilot error caused the crash or if there was a mechanical problem or if it was both but it won't surprise me if it turns out Roy Halliday made an error he couldn't correct.

The NYY pitcher was Cory Little

https://www.ntsb.gov/news/press-rel...n_Plane_Crash_that_Killed_Yankee_Pitcher.aspx

The National Transportation Safety Board today determined that the probable cause of a small airplane crash in Manhattan last October was the pilots' inadequate planning, judgment, and airmanship in the performance of a 180-degree turn maneuver inside of a limited turning space.

On October 11, 2006, a Cirrus Design SR-20, N929CD, operated as a personal flight, crashed into an apartment building in Manhattan, New York City, while attempting a 180-degree turn maneuver above the East River. The two pilots on board the airplane were killed, including the owner of the aircraft, Cory Lidle of the New York Yankees. The second occupant was a commercial pilot with a flight instructor certificate. Three people on the ground were injured, and the airplane was destroyed.

JFK Jr's crash had a lot of moving parts. The departure was delayed because he and his sister in law was caught in traffic and she wanted to be taken to Martha's Vineyard which then put the plane out over the ocean which doomed the flight. He was warned not to fly over open water and chose to ignore the advice.

10 mistakes JFK Jr. made - AOPA

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Well we live in a time where folks think their sensibilities are vitally important and we don't teach our young how to ignore negative things or cope with hardship or insult, so I expect the idea of losing your livelihood due to an opinion is going to become commonplace.

20 years ago this story would have read something like "Jackass radio host whom everyone knows lives to stir the pot tries to stir the pot by being insensitive to a perfect stranger who died just days ago. Nobody cares. In other news, it's getting cold outside."
I don't think anything should happen to Felger. It was distasteful, but he didn't hurt or offend anyone. People need thicker skin.

Reactions: Midship

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
He took it too far but he's 100% correct in questioning Halladay's actions/priorities. More people should be talking about that but it's overshadowed because he took it to the next level.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I don't think anything should happen to Felger. It was distasteful, but he didn't hurt or offend anyone. People need thicker skin.

I'd settle for any skin at this point. We've reached the point where some people are proud to be easily hurt.

Reactions: sarge88

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I guess the question is what was the message? That it was irresponsible and selfish because he has a family to think about, and it's unnecessary risk just for the thrill of flying a plane? Or, was the message that he got what he deserved? I'm far from a sensitive sally, but I think saying someone got what they deserved after dying is inappropriate regardless of the situation. A life was lost.

I mean, whether you believe people are too easily offended or not, that's the reality of the world we live in. Assuming the intent of the message was the former above, the same exact message could have been conveyed without being a complete and total dickwad about it, and the backlash would have been minimized, IMO. It's all about delivery. If it was the latter, just a really dumb thing to say.

Just tone deaf to the reality of society in 2017.

And yes, for the record, I believe people are far too easily offended.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Personally I never understood the fascination with things like planes or motorcycles as I personally think there is enough in everyday life to take you out, but to each their own. I wouldn't call some who perished doing them selfish by any means.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017

i will say, GENIUS move to go with the New Balance shirt for the video-recorded event. Genius. Excellent choice. Excellent shoe.

i viewed him as entirely free of any redeeming value for most of his career but i begrudgingly admit that on rare occasion his tired misanthropic schtick can be slightly chuckle-worthy.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As a result of the Entercom/CBS Radio merger, which included the swap of 98.5 The Sports Hub to the Beasley Broadcast Group for WMJX 106.7 and $12 million in order to receive anti-trust clearance from the US Justice Department, The Sports Hub will move to new studios on Morrissey Boulevard in Dorchester sometime after the deal is officially completed.
This means that The Sports Hub and WEEI will no longer be neighborhood rivals on Guest Street in Brighton. But they will still remain rivals from somewhat afar.

This is a good thing for Boston sports radio listeners.

Chad Finn: Here’s how parent company merger affects Boston’s sports radio stations - The Boston Globe

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
The internet has made the world a different place. Now when something happens, you can set your watch to certain people complaining about it, regardless of whether it affects them at all and without any sort of introspection about their own involvement in the problem.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Cory Lidle was the pitcher that crashed his plane into an apartment building.

Cory Lidle - Wikipedia

Reactions: BMC

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
The internet has made the world a different place. Now when something happens, you can set your watch to certain people complaining about it, regardless of whether it affects them at all and without any sort of introspection about their own involvement in the problem.

i believe it's a phase. it's our awkward stage as a species.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Can't say I disagree with what Felger was trying to say, especially after watching that video. It's of course sad, but it was entirely preventable if Halladay wasn't being an idiot like it sure looked like he was.

That being said, he needs to have a clue of the current state of the world and that of course people would overreact to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad