OT: Official Sports Media Thread IV (TV, Radio, Print) - Jack Edwards' contract extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I believe Kate was mocking the stupid point that thankfully I didn’t hear.

As Fenway states, St. John's was at least 90 minutes ahead of Eastern time, say an game started here at 7:30, it was 6 pm there

It's not a stupid point as it can shake up schedules we are used to. In the Bruins case most of our road games in the rest of the East would start at 8 PM local time which might drive @BMC off the deep end.

@CHRDANHUTCH - it works the other way - A game that starts in Boston at 7 PM is 8:30 PM in Newfoundland.

In Newfoundland they get the Boston channels for the US Networks - so the 11 PM news is at 12:30 AM

upload_2017-11-4_4-48-52.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Judging from what the new owner of 98.5 does in Philly with another all sports station (which is a bigger market) Adam Jones could be in trouble.

http://975thefanatic.com/

In Philly after 7 PM if there is no local game they go to 'bird feed' because the reality is unless there is a game they CAN'T sell commercials.

WPEN-FM carries Flyers and Sixers but trails WIP=FM that carries Phillies and Eagles badly and Entercom is taking over WIP-FM

upload_2017-11-4_5-13-6.png

The major grumbling of staffers at 98.5 is they will be relocated to Beasley's studios in Dorchester from Brighton and word is coming down that CBS is selling their longtime home on Soldiers Field Road to Harvard and will move Channel 4 into the old TV38 complex in Brighton where Sports Hub and other CBS Radio properties have been broadcasting from.

The new owners of WBZ-AM informed employees yesterday they are invited to reapply for their jobs. :cry:

I will admit I am bitter at how the broadcast industry changed when deregulation became the norm. I really thought TV38 would be my employer forever back in the early 80's. Imagine the irony that TV38 wound up being owned by a man who sold us out to buy Les Canadiens de Montréal - but it happened. Dan Berkery who I am still friends with ( along with his daughter Liz ) told me he is still appalled by the carnage that happened on his watch but in fairness he had no say on what was being done by superiors.

It was a fun place to work and we were family.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-4_4-53-26.png
    upload_2017-11-4_4-53-26.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 2

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Is the Herald shunning the Bruins?

It seems like this year, I go to the sports page (website) and none of the headline stories are Bruins related.

This morning, the headline stories are: 2 Patriots, 1 Red Sox, 1 Celtics, 1 boxing.

The Pats are on bye and the Bruins played last night.

Headlines are at a premium.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Is the Herald shunning the Bruins?

It seems like this year, I go to the sports page (website) and none of the headline stories are Bruins related.

This morning, the headline stories are: 2 Patriots, 1 Red Sox, 1 Celtics, 1 boxing.

The Pats are on bye and the Bruins played last night.

Headlines are at a premium.

Print edition gave the B's their due

2.jpg

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-team-field/gM3hiEQW1wvOyWXLBJULbO/story.html

Beasley Broadcast Group is gearing up for another big deal — for what will be the Florida company’s largest radio station. Within the next few months, Beasley will take over 98.5 The Sports Hub (WBZ-FM), the Boston sports station that ascended relatively quickly into Boston’s top five after CBS Radio launched it eight years ago.

Don’t mess with success. Beasley, in town Tuesday to meet with future employees, says she expects to keep the Sports Hub’s 75-plus person crew intact.

Reactions: frickinbobby

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-team-field/gM3hiEQW1wvOyWXLBJULbO/story.html

Beasley Broadcast Group is gearing up for another big deal — for what will be the Florida company’s largest radio station. Within the next few months, Beasley will take over 98.5 The Sports Hub (WBZ-FM), the Boston sports station that ascended relatively quickly into Boston’s top five after CBS Radio launched it eight years ago.

Don’t mess with success. Beasley, in town Tuesday to meet with future employees, says she expects to keep the Sports Hub’s 75-plus person crew intact.

kid, i like this. though i will say....... we're seeing some signs of staleness that require some attention. if still the case in 2 years, we will reconsider the arrangement. we expect improvement within 3 months.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
https://deadspin.com/boston-sports-radio-chud-goes-on-long-rant-about-how-ro-1820270092

Yikes

On today’s broadcast of Boston sports radio show Felger and Mazz, co-host Michael Felger went on a long and genuinely astonishing rant about the recent death of former MLB pitcher Roy Halladay. Felger’s central point, which he reiterates with his obnoxious braying for about 10 minutes, is that Halladay was a thrill-seeking moron who deserved to die.

“Weee! Weee!” Felger said, mocking Halladay. “Yeah, man, look at the G-force on this! I’m Maverick [from Top Gun]. Yeah, man, look at this, it’s so cool! And you die. Splat. And it’s over. So you’re that guy? You have to do that?

“Weee! Oh, look, I just landed on the water, everybody. I’m gonna tweet it! Splat. You’re dead. Two kids. Moron.”

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Felgers looking at a suspension for that, I’d think. He finally went too far.

Is it terminable?

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
He should definitely be suspended.

If he's fired then the same thing should happen on the other station to a few personalities who have said much worse.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Felgers looking at a suspension for that, I’d think. He finally went too far.

Is it terminable?

I don’t believe so at all. As I understand it, the plane he was flying is considered an “experimental” aircraft and there have been safety concerns over it. Now obviously Felgers take may seem insensitive to many and that’s fine, but if he thinks guys who fly such planes are thrill-seekers and to some extent are playing with fire, that seems like a defendable position. I don’t think his timing is great nor his tenor, but to some extent as a parent I share his frustration. I hate to see guys die taking unnecessary risks with kids at home.

Of course all that said if I’m wrong and his plane isn’t the one I’m thinkkng of then ignore my point.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I don’t believe so at all. As I understand it, the plane he was flying is considered an “experimental” aircraft and there have been safety concerns over it. Now obviously Felgers take may seem insensitive to many and that’s fine, but if he thinks guys who fly such planes are thrill-seekers and to some extent are playing with fire, that seems like a defendable position. I don’t think his timing is great nor his tenor, but to some extent as a parent I share his frustration. I hate to see guys die taking unnecessary risks with kids at home.

Of course all that said if I’m wrong and his plane isn’t the one I’m thinkkng of then ignore my point.
There's also a report out there with witnesses saying he was showboating before the accident so that could have set off the rant.

Either way, Felger's a moron

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Disparaging the dead is a bad look. Especially with the business side of what’s going on with the station.

Personally I don’t think it was terminable. I don’t disagree with his point of view, but it was presented incredibly callously. The Message, while perhaps harsh, isn’t completely wacky but the execution was awful.

I get he tries to be shocking...but yikes.

ETA: I don’t agree with him saying he got what he deserved, but I get the unnecessary risk when you have a family to think about angle.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
He should definitely be suspended.

If he's fired then the same thing should happen on the other station to a few personalities who have said much worse.
Curious what is “much worse” than saying someone dying is deserved.

I don’t think he should be suspended. Let the market decide.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I get being a jackass is part of their shtick but that's way beyond crossing the line. That's f***ing disgusting.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
There's also a report out there with witnesses saying he was showboating before the accident so that could have set off the rant.

Either way, Felger's a moron

I think Felgers timing here is wildly sensitive and he’s being an a-hole for the sake of it, but I do share the sentiment that it’s a shame when a parent dies taking an unnecessary risk. Now obviously peoples parameters for that differ and I get that. I’m not defending Felger here I’m just saying that if being an a-hole was suspension worthy he’d never work.

frickinbobby

Sep 21, 2017
A) it was based on a video he saw apparently showing hot dogging
B) knowing that the most outspoken SJW's calling for his head would re-evaluate, but
C) most funnily, having seen what I believe to be the video, I think it just as easily could be machine failure

the idea that he would be suspended for this is simultaneously laughable and unfortunately plausible.

Reactions: Hnidy Hnight

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I watched it live and it was awful. Yes, he brings up some valid points, but a man f***ing died and that supersedes any point he's poorly trying to make on the day of. Felger is the lowest form of a radio troll and this is him in a nutshell - any good points he makes gets outshined by pure idiocy that comes out of his mouth.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Hnidy Hnight

Dec 21, 2006
North of Boston, MA
Not something I'd say, or even agree with (at all). But that said, I don't want to see hosts muzzled for PC purposes, or giving into pressure from the SJW community who don't listen to the show anyway. If he feels that way, he should be able to say it. I value honesty in radio, and I think that is why Minnihane is so successful. Transparency, and fearless opinions on the Adam Jones story, and the Red Sox organization in general.

Let the free market, and sponsors decide. I'd expect he'll apologize, like the Heidi Watney incident, and move on. Big game in Denver Sunday.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad